Sign in to follow this  
houphad

Cockpit Packs Sound

Hi,Is there a way to reduce the cockpit packs sound in the MD-11? Its too loud making it difficult to hear ATC when I fly VATSIM.FS9 and Windows 7Thanks,Fouad

dont know if this helps have u tried in the sound settings in the eniviroment slider to the left

I7-800k,Corsair h1101 cooler ,Asus Strix Gaming Intel Z370 S11 motherboard, Corsair 32gb ramDD4,    2  ssd 500gb 970 drive, gtx 1080ti Card,  RM850 power supply

Peter kelberg

Are you sure that the sounds you're talking about are the packs? If you only hear the 'loud sounds' only while flying, and NOT on the ground, then you're refering to the wind sounds, not the packs. To disable them, go to FSX's root folder and open ...SimObjects\Airplanes\PMDG_MD11. Go to .../Sound.GE and open the Sound.cfg. Search for "wind". There are three entries named wind_sounds or something similar. Delete all the entries that contain "wind". Do the same on .../Sound.PW and you're done. Just backup the .cfg file BEFORE editing it in case you want to restore the wind sounds or in case you do something wrong.

Matheus Mafra

Thanks guys,Pete, Yes I tried that. Nothing changed.Barfra1995, I have FS9 so here is what I got in the sound.cfg file:[WIND_SOUND]filename=PMDGMD11_WINDflags=0viewpoint=1minimum_volume=0maximum_volume=10000minimum_rate=1.10maximum_rate=1.30minimum_speed=160maximum_speed=650The sound became louder I guess when I took off. I want to try and cancel the wind effect so shall I bring down all values to zero?Fouad

You have to delete all the lines, from "[WIND_SOUND]" to "maximum_speed=650". I don't know how different things are in FS9, but in FSX, deleting the entries worked perfectly for me. It completely cancelled the wind sounds.

Matheus Mafra

Yep I guess thats it... So it was the wind making all that noise :)) Now it shut up. hahaThanks mate....

Guys this might be a stupid question but is it not possible to increase the VATSIM voice volume? Wind sounds on flight decks are a fact and killing them takes away a lot of realism. Surely the VATSIM software has a volume button somewhere just as a COM panel has in reality?Cheers,Markus

Markus Burkhard

Guys this might be a stupid question but is it not possible to increase the VATSIM voice volume? Wind sounds on flight decks are a fact and killing them takes away a lot of realism. Surely the VATSIM software has a volume button somewhere just as a COM panel has in reality?Cheers,Markus
The pilot clients aren't the best, but yes you can.I will say that the best option is a USB headset. That allows you to have the Flight Sim sounds coming from your speakers, and ATC on the headset. USB headsets are only $15 max at WallyWorld, or the like. You can even get a good one for $75.It's all what you find it worth, really:Continue using a poor headset and sacrifice the realism of your $70+ sim; orGo spring for a $10-15 USB headset and take the 5 minutes to set it up, while still enjoying your nice sim.

Kyle Rodgers

May it be a stupid reaction as well, I add to this:The MD11 is one of the most silent cockpits I have flown. Be it wind noise or packs or whatever.Regards,Harry

May it be a stupid reaction as well, I add to this:The MD11 is one of the most silent cockpits I have flown. Be it wind noise or packs or whatever.Regards,Harry
Are you talking about the real MD-11 or the PMDG MD-11?This might be a silly thought... I never been in a cockpit before, but I doubt the presence of all that wind sound during flight. I've been in the cabin (not MD-11 though) alot of times and I did heard or noticed a very little difference in the sound between ground and flight aside from the roaring engines.Might the wind sound in the PMDG be a bit exagerated :( Fouad

Might the wind sound in the PMDG be a bit exagerated :( Fouad
Not necessarily, remember the sound you hear in the cabin is different in a lot of respects to that of the flight deck. Some airliners have louder wind noise than others and it has a certain amount to do with the shape of the nose and flight deck windows. The 744 is reputedly loud, for example, and I recall reading in a Flightglobal mag flight test report that the 787 was noticeably quieter on the flight deck than most other airliners.

Mark Adeane - NZWN
Boeing777_Banner_BetaTeam.jpg