Sign in to follow this  
Avantime

Why is MS still using 2D Clouds?

Wow, alot of people here know everything about MS Flight. Can I ask how you guys know it is not a new engine? Are you in the MS team?
Everything Microsoft has actually said about Flight is here http://www.microsoft.com/games/flight/Anything else here is pure speculation - obviously uninformed.

And I can tell by the screenshots that is for XBOX 360 only. :(

Jeff

Commercial | Instrument | Multi-Engine Land

AMD 5600X, RTX3070, 32MB RAM, 2TB SSD

I wouldn't call this an 'engine' issue. FSX clouds use particles - like everyone else.What people are really complaining about is the number and size of the particles.Obviously fewer large particles run faster than many small particles which look better.The goal in any smoke-cloud effect is to increase the number of particles until the ‘trick’ is hidden, then stop.And the ‘trick’ is that even the coolest effects in games use 2D particles.It is true there is ongoing work to make particle systems more efficient; but the big win comes from faster hardware.We keep talking about a "brand new engine" and it is a term developers use but do we understand what it actually means.The chances that the particle system is rewritten are reasonably good. So is that a new engine to you?I look at it this way, if we reduced the draw distance from 110miles to that of a typical game – maybe 1 mile…the FSX engine would be unrecognizable. (and vice versa)

HelloMore than you ever wanted to know about MS cloud rendering.http://ofb.net/~eggplant/clouds/http://ofb.net/~niniane/clouds-jgt.pdf

And people need to find the videos about how the clouds are rendered in FS. If they became educated about the process, they would understand.

They are not rendering 3D clouds or actual cloud shadows. They are darkening the ground textures when there are certain cloud coverages. It is only in a certain part of the world and does not work with any real time weather.

They are not rendering 3D clouds or actual cloud shadows. They are darkening the ground textures when there are certain cloud coverages. It is only in a certain part of the world and does not work with any real time weather.
I understand, I was just showing what can be done with FSX as of today, will MS make a come back with cloud shadowings as they were suppose to as seen on the pic. I posted above or will they leave it to add-ons developers?

No add-on developers have been able to do it, not even the REX folks, so that pretty much answers things for FSX and nobody can say for Flight.

No add-on developers have been able to do it, (yet) not even the REX folks, so that pretty much answers things for FSX (never know, MS may give us a little something to boost FSX just to keep us FSX users happy when Flight is released, does not mean cloud shadows but how hard will it be for them to do that since they are already using or building Flight from the same engine, we were all very sad when Aces closed and did not finished FSX DX10 so could it be that.....naaaaa... could it? http://blogs.msdn.co...t-fsx-dx10.aspx )and nobody can say for Flight. :( :(

Here we go again.........FSX development is done, finished, complete, wrapped up, terminated, locked, closed.

MS may give us a little something to boost FSX just to keep us FSX users happy when Flight is released
And pigs might fly.

Here we go again.........FSX development is done, finished, complete, wrapped up, terminated, locked, closed.
LOL maybe you'r right, lets wait and see.......if nothing happen I'll say you were right and if something happen I won't say I told you so....:(

LOL maybe you'r right, lets wait and see.......if nothing happen I'll say you were right and if something happen I won't say I told you so....:(
The moon is made of cheese, man has never been there, and the Earth is flat. Those are my opinions, therefore they can't be wrong.

Sign in to follow this  
  • Tom Allensworth,
    Founder of AVSIM Online

• Flight Simulation's Premier Resource!

AVSIM is a free service to the flight simulation community. AVSIM is staffed completely by volunteers and all funds donated to AVSIM go directly back to supporting the community. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. Thank you for your support!

Click here for more information and to see all donations year to date.