Sign in to follow this  
Cloud9

P4P 800 Deluxe

Guest Mike_MAC

I just installed Kingston HyperX PC4000 memory in my system, I'm running a P4 2.4C@3Ghz (250Mhz FSB) I'd like to run my system at a 1:1 ratio (reason for buying PC4000), problem is I can't select 500Mhz for my memory, 400 is the highest I can select, I did a search on google and a lot of people are running these speeds with the exact same system, please share your experience,Mike

Guest Mike_MAC

I tried setting the memory at 400Mhz with a 250Mhz FSB CPU, the system won't even boot, normally I get a voice warning telling me what's wrong, not this time, plugging out the power cable didn't even help, I had to clear my CMOS in order to get the system to boot, it then boots with a standard 200/200Mhz FSB. I tried setting the FSB back at 250 but it wouldn't boot with that, setting the FSB at 250 and memory at standard results in 166Mhz memory speed.I did download the CPU-z to monitor my speeds, it recognizes my memory as Kingston PC3200, I think this is correct since PC4000 is overclocked PC3200 memory isn't it??It would be a shame to run these modules at 400Mhz which is not even possible when setting my CPU FSB at 250 (P4 2.4C@3Ghz).Any suggestions would be much appreciated, thanks,Mike

Guest Dennis_F4i

When you say it won't boot, do you mean to the o/s or that it won't even POST?I wonder if bumping the DDR voltage would be of any help?

Guest Mike_MAC

When I said the system wouldn't boot, I meant it won't even post.I'll try upping the voltage a bit but the dimms are supposed to be tested at stock(2.6V)at 500Mhz, but I'll try anyway, thanks,Mike

Guest Rafael Cervera

Go to http://www.overclockers.com and join the forums for that site. There is a section for Memory amongst others. The guys over ther are pretty helpfull and knoleageble. When u start upping voltage and messing with FSB then you wanna be carefull cause u caqn fry ur hardware real easy. I dunnit a few times and dont feel to hot. :0BTW, best performance improvement I found so far is a RAID-0 array using SATA drives.

Guest Dennis_F4i

What improvements do you note with your SATA RAID? Is it just file opening speed or is there an overall system improvement? With 1G of memory, my page file is not under heavy use so I wouldn't think that general operation would be improved that much, however FS does tend to reference the scenery library quite a bit...What SATA drives did you go with? Are you running them off of the P4P800 VIA Raid controller or do you have a PCI SATA RAID card?

Guest Rafael Cervera

Western Digital Raptor are fast enough from the box with 150 megs per second @ 10,000 RPM. If you use them in RAID-0 array (where two HD act as one; albeit one drive reads data while the other writes) then you got yourself a ballgame. Either using a WD Raptor SATA drive alone or two normal 7,200 RPM ATA drives in a RAID-0 array your gonna notice a more fluid FS9 fer shure.:)No matter how much RAM youve got, Windows likes to use the page/swap file, and FS9 needs to read the terrain files anyway. So better HD performance is highly recomended. I run FS9 with all the sliders up and still get 30+ FPS. If you wanna try something cool, make a RAM disk (put aside a certain amount of memory to be used as virtual HD) and run FS9 from there. I used to do this when I had a Macintosh, Im shure it can be done in a PC also! Promise makes a nice RAID PCI card but I use the onboard RAID controller that came with my MoBo. Now, if I only had dual channel memory ...Try it, youll like it ;)

Guest Speed

I have a p4 3.0gig with 1gb kingston hyperx pc4000 on a p4p800I just used the auto overclocking feature to increase it by 10%, anything above and it wont boot.Speed.

Guest Mike_MAC

Well, that's my point speed, I have overclocked my P4 2.4C to 3Ghz by increasing the FSB from 200 to 250Mhz.I have been running this overclock for a couple of months (very stable) but I used PC2700 dimms running at 166Mhz, now I bought these PC4000 dimms in dual channel mode and I can't get the speed of the memory above 200Mhz, everything above that and the system won't boot, these dimms are tested by kingston to work at 250Mhz so I really don't know what's going on, I tried increasing the voltage of the cpu and the memory but it makes no difference.There must be someone on this forum that uses PC4000 memory, please help me to get this to work, thanks,Mike

Guest Mike_MAC

Thanks, I checked the timings and they are set at 3-4-4-8-8.Could you please post your exact bios settings like voltage etcThanks,mike

Guest Mike_MAC

Thanks for that John,I'll await your reply,Mike