Sign in to follow this  
rgbinns

How do I connect Notebook to my PC

I wonder if someone could tell me how to connect my notebook to my PC please.I want to run addons on the notebook to interface with FSX which is on my PC.I do have a router between the 2 but they do not see each other.Hope somebody may kindly help me.I am using Window 7 64bit on bothe machines.Thank you,regardsRichard.

Richard Binns
MSFS 2020 - Asus ROG Strix Z390-E - Skylake i7 9700k - EVGA RTX 3070 Black - 32gig G.Skill TridentZ DDR4 - Thermaltake Thor 850w Platinum PSU - Corsair Hydro H80iGT cooler - Samsung 43" UHD HDR TV - Thermaltake V71 Case - Samsung SSD 850 EVO M.2 500GB  - 2 x Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus V-Nand 1TB

You will want to use WideFS. WideFS is part of FSUIPC, but I think you don't need a registered copy of FSUIPC to use WideFS. You can read more about it here: http://secure.simmarket.com/pete-dowson-widefs7.phtml

Benjamin van Soldt

Windows 10 64bit - i5-8600k @ 4.7GHz - ASRock Fatality K6 Z370 - EVGA GTX1070 SC 8GB VRAM - 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX @ 3200MHz - Samsung 960 Evo SSD M.2 NVMe 500GB - 2x Samsung 860 Evo SSD 1TB (P3Dv4/5 drive) - Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200RPM - Seasonic FocusPlus Gold 750W - Noctua DH-15S - Fractal Design Focus G (White) Case

I do have a router between the 2 but they do not see each other.
What exactly do you mean by "they do not see each other" - where are you looking?Windows 7 uses "homegroups" to make it easy to connect Windows 7 computers to each other. Make sure the two computers are configured to use the same homegroup password (open the control panel and search for "homegroup").

Trisager has it exactly. Create a Windows 7 'Homegoup' network on your FSX machine, with a password. Join your notebook to that Homegroup. Share your FSX folders. I run Active Sky on my laptop, and recommnd it. Page 52 of the Active Sky Extreme user manual gives the best set instructions for the configuration of shared folders in FSX and the Simconnect configuration on our FSX and connected computers I have found. I hope the good people at HiFi Simulations won't mind my pointing you to it:http://www.hifisim.c...ntation/ASE.pdfIf you haven't already, do get the licensed version of FSUIPC and WideFS too, as some software relies on WideFS.You won't regret running ancilliaries on a networked machine.

you can also use a crossover cable to connect the two directly without router inbetween, Then use trisager steps for setting up homenetwork.Glider driver have alos very good points there also important to et fsuip and widefs as he said. many addons just make it easier to run them via widefs etc..Still struggling just google : how to setup homenetwork. There are hundreds of very good instructions and step by step guides.

OK I have created a homegroup on the main FSX machine and have got a password. Now when I go to the notebook I cannot find anywhere to put it. I mean I cannot find the Join Now button to click and enter the password. Instead of Homegroup Available to join I have HomeGroup Ready to Create. If I click on Ready to create I am given another password. I just cannot understand it and yes I have Googled many sites for help. Richard.

Richard Binns
MSFS 2020 - Asus ROG Strix Z390-E - Skylake i7 9700k - EVGA RTX 3070 Black - 32gig G.Skill TridentZ DDR4 - Thermaltake Thor 850w Platinum PSU - Corsair Hydro H80iGT cooler - Samsung 43" UHD HDR TV - Thermaltake V71 Case - Samsung SSD 850 EVO M.2 500GB  - 2 x Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus V-Nand 1TB

HelloHave you read this guide?http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/help/home-sweet-homegroup-networking-the-easy-way

Good link from mad dog, and if you still have trouble, make sure network discovery is turned on:http://www.flickr.co.../in/photostream
HelloGood call, that could catch him outhttp://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/Enable-or-disable-network-discovery

Back again with good news at last. I decided to reinstall Windows on the notebook to as it was out of the box and during the setup at the end it asked me if I wanted to join a homegroup and said please enter the jolly ole password which I did and LO and BEHOLD when Windows started up I went straight to Windows Explorer and there it was - the notebook saw my PC and the PC saw the jolly ole Notebook. WUPPYDOOOOOOOOO!!!I think the problem was that for some reason silly old me skipped the join a HomeGroup and then went ahead and installed the router software which gave me another password (different from the PC). This time I did not have to install it - it was all Sooooooo easy.So there you are I am now one happy HomeGroup user (until I stuff something else up!!)Now I presume I must get a copy of WideFS and couple it up with my full copy of FSUIPC 4.7 and then I will be able to use Plan-G and ActiveSky Extreme in conjuntion with FSX on my PC.Thank you all very much for help,regardsRichard

Richard Binns

Getting the network setup is most of the challange. ASE FSX, you will be required to set it up using Simconnect. ASE has a very good tutorial on how to do.
Heck I see what you mean. I have just scanned the tutorial and I am already down in the dumps. Its seems very confusing for me. But I shall battle on.I really want to get it working coz it will make so much difference when running FSX.RegardsRichard

Richard Binns

Richard,It looks hard but it really isn't. Briefly:Install 3 SDKs to get SimConnect installed.Configure 3 files.Put those 3 files in place.Allow SimConnect access through both firewalls.Run ASE on the Client.Run FSX on the server.