Sign in to follow this  
maf

Did I ruin my CPU now?

Hi folks!Ive started building my Intel i5 1155 computer today, and I dont know if I made a terrible mistake, but heres whathappened:As I was placing my CPU down on the motherboard, I aligned the arrows and everything seemed fine. As I placed it in there itdid not sit correctly, but was kinda off track. I had to realign it, and did so carefully. While I did that I hearda tiny little scraping sound that made me panic. However, as I was strapping the CPU in by pulling down the lever that thightensit into its seat, I heard the same kind of scraping sound (as if metal was being scraped against metal). So perhaps everything is okay?Anyone who knows how little it takes to ruin a brand new CPU?(And yes, Its an 1155 socket motherboard, so they do fit)

Yngve Giljebrekke
ENZV NSB

I just build my first computer this weekend and that was the part that scared me. I dropped it in and thankfully if fit with no problems. Hard to say what the result will be until you fire it up. My guess is it will be ok because when you dropped it in the second time it fit properly. Did you use any force all all then placing the CPU into the socket ??Mark.

Mark W   CYYZ      

My Simhttps://goo.gl/photos/oic45LSoaHKEgU8E9

My Concorde Tutorial Videos available here:  https://www.youtube.com/user/UPS1000

It should be OK. That was the locking parts moving against each other. Even when you were inserting the CPU you began to move the parts around.

Don't panic Maf, that sound is normal. Proceed methodically and carefully and it will be alright! It will be worth it in the end. Congratulations Mark!Kind regards,

Yeah! U all calmed me down, and now ive fired the baby up and everything is working perfecto!! Just gotta love a new computer.Seems like the scraping sound came about simpy because the pins got pressed down, and it did not matter. I was very careful droppingit in, not pressing it. The i5 2500K is now running at 3.3 Ghz at 30 degrees celsius and thats with an H70 cooler from Corsair. Cantwait until ive oc`ed it for the first time:-)

Yngve Giljebrekke
ENZV NSB

Yeah! U all calmed me down, and now ive fired the baby up and everything is working perfecto!! Just gotta love a new computer.Seems like the scraping sound came about simpy because the pins got pressed down, and it did not matter. I was very careful droppingit in, not pressing it. The i5 2500K is now running at 3.3 Ghz at 30 degrees celsius and thats with an H70 cooler from Corsair. Cantwait until ive oc`ed it for the first time:-)
:Applause:

Scared me too when I built mine!!!

Jeff

Commercial | Instrument | Multi-Engine Land

AMD 5600X, RTX3070, 32MB RAM, 2TB SSD

you think thats bad I refitted a liquid cooler after replacing the thermal compound I forgot to reconnect the pump for the cooler, I had already plugged in the fan for the radiator. Anyway I spent some time trying to figure out why I was getting so many BSODs and noticed my CPU temps in my BIOS where reading over 100c!!!!!! I was worried for a while that might have been the end of that CPU but it was ok in the end.Lesson Learned, check it then check it again!Glad you got it sorted in the end.