Sign in to follow this  
vgbaron

what happens to old hardware?

I am like many others in this community - always searching for the "perfect" system and upgrading to the latest and greatest. So I have a question for you - What do you do with your old hardware when you upgrade? Personally, I've used old parts to build 3 systems and gave them to people who didn't have a decent computer. Sometimes, I just throw the parts out - ebay is too much hassle.So what is the consensus of the Avsim group - what happens to old but still good hardware?Thanx,Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

I was able to sell my LGA 775 system on overclock.net. After shipping expenses and paypal fees, I made $200 selling my P5Q-EM mobo, Q9550 processor, and some no-name ram. Only problem is you have to have so many reps to sell there. Giving parts to friends who are perhaps just getting into computers is perhaps the best solution. I'm just a stingy college student, so I have to hold onto every penny I can.There's a goodwill computer store here in Austin. I have a 7600GS with no fan and a scythe zipang heatsink I need to take in... unless anybody wants either of them. Just pay shipping and I'll send it your way!

Corey Meeks

Flight Simulator - FS2020 | CPU - AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | Video Card - Sapphire RX 5700 XT Main Board - ASUS ROG Strix X570-I mini-ITX | RAM - G.SKILL Trident Z Neo 2x16Gb DDR4 3600Mhz CL16 | Monitor - DELL 38" U3818DW (3840x1600) | Case - Cooler Master NR200 | CPU Cooling - Noctua NH-U12A | Power Supply - Corsair SF750 | 6x Phanteks T30 120x30mm Fans

Download: FSXMark11 Benchmark and post results here

Sold - to someone I know, internet or Ebay. If older, then give away. Sometimes throw away if selling price crosses the lower hassle-threshold...

This is what happens to old computers:I give some computers to my brothers or my sons family. I keep some computer parts as spare parts.

Try to use what I can, hold onto stuff until it builds up, then sort through it and throw most of it away.

Guest jahman

Since you mention disposal of old hardware on the Avsim group, are you referring to silicon- or carbon-based hardware?Cheers,- jahman.

I have generally taken out the hard drives and then driven them over to the electronics recycling depot in the city where I live. I have a pretty good P4 now that was my old second computer for things like FSInn, Weather, etc. and I would like to give it away, but not sure anyone wants such an old beast....perhaps I should start my own Flight Sim computer museum and put it there.Mark.

Mark W   CYYZ      

My Simhttps://goo.gl/photos/oic45LSoaHKEgU8E9

My Concorde Tutorial Videos available here:  https://www.youtube.com/user/UPS1000

This is what happens to old computers:I give some computers to my brothers or my sons family. I keep some computer parts as spare parts.
What a good laugh Ulf :biggrin: So far I've sold everything I've replaced. It was always less than a year old so it helped mitigate the expense of the upgrade frenzy i've been in the last two years

I gave my AMD6000 system to a coworker - he just put his wife through school and his PC was just an office PC... even though it was dated he says it working great for FS9 and hooked it up to his big screen tv.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

I will typically upgrade a computer when it gains to be about 4-years of age. I then pass it to the kids, making the kids computer 8-years of age by the time they get the next one. When the kid’s computer is 8-10-years it goes to recycling. I might scavenge the odd part if needed prior to taking it to the recycling Centre.

Regards,
Gary Andersen

HAF932 Advanced, ASUS Z690-P D4, i5-12600k @4.9,NH-C14S, 2x8GB DDR4 3600, RM850x PSU,Sata DVD, Samsung 860 EVO 1TB storage, W10-Pro on Intel 750 AIC 800GB PCI-Express,MSI RTX3070 LHR 8GB, AW2720HF, VS238, Card Reader, SMT750 UPS.

I have generally taken out the hard drives and then driven them over to the electronics recycling depot in the city where I live. I have a pretty good P4 now that was my old second computer for things like FSInn, Weather, etc. and I would like to give it away, but not sure anyone wants such an old beast....perhaps I should start my own Flight Sim computer museum and put it there.Mark.
Dang, my machine IS a P4. Of course, I'm on this forum right now because it's actihg up and I'm leaning towards replacing it.We have an electronics recycling truck show up at work every year on Earth Day. We don't get anything for it, but at least we don't have to pay someone to take it. Gave them a perfectly good 19-inch CRT display last time. I know I'll never use it again. I was keeping it as a backup in case one of the flat screens fails and I need something for a couple of days while I replace it.

I keep my last PC as a test for issues with components. Its saved me a few times, a month ago my PC started shutting down on its own, after some time I plugged the PSU into my old PC and it started doing the same thing, which told me it was a bad PSU and not anything else. Also I have to reinstall Win7 but I didnt have the driver disk And could not connect to the internet without the Mainboard drivers so I used my old PC to get them. I also gave an old PC to a charity that sends computers to 3rd world countries.

So what is the consensus of the Avsim group - what happens to old but still good hardware?Thanx,Vic
I used to upgrade much more often, but since the last upgrade I haven't felt nearly the need. The sim runs very good on this hardware which is now 3y old, so I would imagine you should be fine indefinitely since your platform should push the sim at least another 60% over what I see. I'm thinking my performance x 160% would be amazingly good enough since I currently enjoy super clean image quality, and frame rates that range from acceptable to more than excellent, and great smoothness. I do have to be cautious to not overload the sim w/ for example the PMDG 747 flying out of Melbourne w/ FTX scenery, but even that the worst I see is maybe 17 FPS while taxing, and that low is really rare. I guess that translates to maybe 25 FPS on your machine, which is hardly enough to make me feel the need to upgrade. Further, once that plane is off the ground it quickly approaches 25-30 FPS. And w/ less demanding scenarios, I often run locked at 30fps from startup forward, even w/ BLOOM on when in less complex situations. I plan to maybe upgrade when Ivy Bridge comes along. I also use only one display at 1650 x 1080, so that offloads some work as well. I can see with dual screens or higher resolutions IB will be welcomed, though the current screen I use I can keep fairly close to me, so there really isn't much benefit in going larger for me. I'm glad not to have to bother with frequent upgrades ;o)Noel

Noel

System:  9900K@5.0gHz@1.23v all cores, MSI MPG Z390M GAMING EDGE AC, Noctua NH-D15S w/ steady supply of 40-60F ambient air intake, Corsair Vengeance 32Gb LPX 3200mHz DDR4, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 2, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM 850W PSU, Win10 Pro, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frametime Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320NX, WT 787X