Just plonked down eight-bills for an i5-2500/4GB Corsair Dominator RAM/560GTX 1GB card/ASUS MB. The price includes tax and installation at my local computer dude (a good guy that I know well). Ditching my E6700/8800GTS setup but keeping my Antec 900 case and PSU. Can't wait to fire it up, should be here Wednesday. Because I'm not that bright, I ordered the i5-2500 and not the i5-2500K. I figure I'm too stupid to OC and I'd just fry my rig, but am I really missing out on that big a deal? Is OC-ing easy enough for a total boob to pull off without killing his new equipment? Should I be calling up my computer dude first thing in the morning and try to get the "K" CPU or just leave well enough alone and be happy I'm finally upgrading at all.In any case, I can't wait to ORBX-ify with the new hardware! :Party:

Congratulations for that step. You´ll be amazed from the mew performance. But you should have bought the -K CPU. OC´ing is just as easy flying the 747. You´ll find lots of guides out there and if anything fails, the hardware section and its gurus will help you. I´m also not that experienced with such things but got my CPU finally stable at 4.6 GHz. It isn´t very complicated, so why are you afraid?

Just plonked down eight-bills for an i5-2500/4GB Corsair Dominator RAM/560GTX 1GB card/ASUS MB. The price includes tax and installation at my local computer dude (a good guy that I know well). Ditching my E6700/8800GTS setup but keeping my Antec 900 case and PSU. Can't wait to fire it up, should be here Wednesday. Because I'm not that bright, I ordered the i5-2500 and not the i5-2500K. I figure I'm too stupid to OC and I'd just fry my rig, but am I really missing out on that big a deal? Is OC-ing easy enough for a total boob to pull off without killing his new equipment? Should I be calling up my computer dude first thing in the morning and try to get the "K" CPU or just leave well enough alone and be happy I'm finally upgrading at all.In any case, I can't wait to ORBX-ify with the new hardware! :Party:
Overclocking is really not that hard, and it's a lot easier with SB than any previous generation. You get an extra 30 - 40% CPU horsepower almost for free, and FSX loves it.Your call of course, but we'll help you here with your OC if needed.Just make sure your board allows OCing (it needs to be P67 or Z68) and that you get a decent aftermarket cooler for the CPU too

with today's bios, OC should be fairly simple. for mild OC, just set multiplier to 43 and thats it. and some mother boards have a one-step OC utility that doesnt need complicated tweaks to get past 4 Ghz.

It isn´t very complicated, so why are you afraid?
Because I'm not good with electronics or anything having to do with electronics. I'm amazed I don't kill myself turning on the lights at night. That said, and given that the K CPU is only $10 more, I'll see if I can change my order and then maybe hound some of the tech guys here for some advice. If it's too late, I won't cry. I'll just enjoy what I have. I'm sure it will sizzle compared to my E6700.Not sure of my MB, I just told the guy to get me the one he thought best. All I know is it's an Asus, it will hold 4 strips of RAM, and it's costing me $150. He said there was a $99 MB but strongly suggested I go with the better one. I trust him so I said yes.

Because I'm not good with electronics or anything having to do with electronics. I'm amazed I don't kill myself turning on the lights at night. That said, and given that the K CPU is only $10 more, I'll see if I can change my order and then maybe hound some of the tech guys here for some advice. If it's too late, I won't cry. I'll just enjoy what I have. I'm sure it will sizzle compared to my E6700.Not sure of my MB, I just told the guy to get me the one he thought best. All I know is it's an Asus, it will hold 4 strips of RAM, and it's costing me $150. He said there was a $99 MB but strongly suggested I go with the better one. I trust him so I said yes.
If you get a 2500K but the board is a H61 or H67 instead of P67 or Z68, you won't be able to overclock. And remember the aftermarket cooler. Something like a Cooler Master Hyper 212 plus is dirt cheap and performs great What's your PSU brand and model BTW?

650W. Maybe an Antec, not sure.Edit: Just remembered, my computer dude said the MB had 2X USB-3 ports or connections or whatever. Not sure if that helps nail it down.Anyway, I'll check in the morning.

Because I'm not that bright, I ordered the i5-2500 and not the i5-2500K. I figure I'm too stupid to OC and I'd just fry my rig, but am I really missing out on that big a deal? Is OC-ing easy enough for a total boob to pull off without killing his new equipment?
Just recently overclocked a i7-950, so if i can do that, anybody can overclock a S.B. from what i have been reading the last while. Oh yes, and i have just purchased a i7-2600KBest regards from a guy who thought he was too stupid to OC.

Rick Hobbs

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

I was too late to change the order so no OC for me. It's okay, after four-years with an E6700/8800GTS, I'm sure I'll be happy with an i5-2500 and a nice 560 card (I think he ordered me the GTX560 Ti. Sweet!). I figure if I can't be happy with that, there's something wrong with me.Can't wait to get into a fresh install of FSX+ORBX and see what it looks like. If he gets the parts today I can have the machine by tomorrrow. And tomorrow is a day off for me. :biggrin:

That's a considerable upgrade without overclocking so i'm sure you will be very happy with the results so enjoy.Regards,

Rick Hobbs

That's a considerable upgrade without overclocking so i'm sure you will be very happy with the results so enjoy.Regards,
Thanks. :smile: Just got back from the computer shop and those new parts look great sitting there in their delicious new boxes! The MB is the OC model someone mentioned above, ASUS P6P81, something like that, and the video card is the GTX560 Ti model. I should get the whole thing back tonmorrow AM. I ran the PassMark test on my rig and got 919. can`t wait to see what the new one does.Sorry to blather on about all this, but it`s a big thing in my flightsim world and the wife understands none of it. "Are you doing all that just for your little airplanes?""Yes dear."

"Are you doing all that just for your little airplanes?""Yes dear."
Haha, that's great! Enjoy your new rig.

Corey Meeks

Flight Simulator - FS2020 | CPU - AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | Video Card - Sapphire RX 5700 XT Main Board - ASUS ROG Strix X570-I mini-ITX | RAM - G.SKILL Trident Z Neo 2x16Gb DDR4 3600Mhz CL16 | Monitor - DELL 38" U3818DW (3840x1600) | Case - Cooler Master NR200 | CPU Cooling - Noctua NH-U12A | Power Supply - Corsair SF750 | 6x Phanteks T30 120x30mm Fans

Download: FSXMark11 Benchmark and post results here

Thanks. :smile: Sorry to blather on about all this, but it`s a big thing in my flightsim world and the wife understands none of it. "Are you doing all that just for your little airplanes?""Yes dear."
Sound's familierBig%20Grin.gif

Rick Hobbs