Sign in to follow this  
HughesMDflyer4

MS Flight Webisode 4: Explore

Doesn't that mean that Flight will be limited to run on current computers out of the box with all sliders maxed - if there are actually any sliders? It could also mean that future enhancements will be released in step with computer development and possibly have to be paid for, like Acceleration.
Detroit solved that problem of variability in model performance years ago.You want economy? Buy the Mustang with a 4 cylinder banger.Need to burn rubber? Order the extra horses with the 5L V8 version .Why not different versions of Flight and the customer makes the choice. That way MS might very well sell 2 versions of Flight to the same customer over a period of a year or two! All those exciting addons in the MS store should be a great inducement to head out to the computer shop and buy a new high performance 'puter to go with the "gold" Flight.Customer upgrading is where the money is!!AR

Starting to sink in guys?.....MS is in for the $ teaming with the developers to make as much as they can, pay as you go (or where you want to fly), wanna fly somewhere else....pay again, that's maybe how they will get some performance out of Flight by not loading the whole world when clicking start but just loading where you'll fly.Just think about it for a sec., show me a game (new one) like Crysis 2, Metro 2033, where you can run it at max resolution with all the eye candy enable on a average PC and get 100FPS??? and MS will make Flight do that....HELLO!!!Naaaa! MS don't do magic, you'll need a top of the line PC if you want everything on (including add-ons) to play it maxed out, do you think other company would not make their game like Crysis run on a average PC with everything maxed out on high resolution if they could, these company are not different, they want your money.

My hope is that if you can run FSX on high settings, you will be able to run Flight at high settings. If they are serious about performance, that should be the goal. So far I have seen some shots that are amazing, and some that just look like FSX. So lets just wait and see what happens.

Daniel Miller

Doesn't that mean that Flight will be limited to run on current computers out of the box with all sliders maxed - if there are actually any sliders? It could also mean that future enhancements will be released in step with computer development and possibly have to be paid for, like Acceleration.
No. They were saying that FSX was so bad in the performance department, that if the settings were maxed, even a powerful PC couldn't run it. Making it so that the average PC could run it with settings maxed would be holding back too much detail. Flight just won't bring a system to its knees like FSX did.

No. They were saying that FSX was so bad in the performance department, that if the settings were maxed, even a powerful PC couldn't run it. Making it so that the average PC could run it with settings maxed would be holding back too much detail. Flight just won't bring a system to its knees like FSX did.
Read what Microsoft actually said: "The new goal is to provide a fantastic experience "out of the box" on the first day......on your current computer."

Here, is the minimum requirement for FSX out of the box and we all know that this is a joke unless you want to play with all sliders to the left. PRODUCT INFORMATIONbox_standard.jpgStandard Edition

box_deluxe.jpgDeluxe Edition

Minimum System Requirements

• Windows XP SP2 / Windows Vista / Windows 7
  • Processor: 1.0 Ghz
  • RAM: Windows XP SP2 - 256MB, Windows Vista – 512MB
  • Hard Drive: 14GB
  • Video Card: 32MB DirectX 9 compatible
  • Other: DX9 hardware compatibility and audio board with speakers and/or headphones
  • Online/Multiplayer Requirements: 56.6 kbps or better for online play

What are the minimum System Requirement for Flight default....

Here, is the minimum requirement for FSX out of the box and we all know that this is a joke unless you want to play with all sliders to the left....What are the minimum System Requirement for Flight default....
We all already know about FSX and Microsoft seems to have admitted it implicitly. Why keep harking back to the past?

Here, is the minimum requirement for FSX out of the box and we all know that this is a joke unless you want to play with all sliders to the left.
Not only all sliders to the left, but also flying in an area with no buildings, no mountains, no water and no trees!Regards, Mike Mann

Here, is the minimum requirement for FSX out of the box and we all know that this is a joke unless you want to play with all sliders to the left.
I get your point, :( but it could be reworded a little......with a minimum system you're expected to use the minimum display settings... And be prepared to have the minimum experience. :( :smile:That does mean...no buildings, no water, and no trees.

Read what Microsoft actually said: "The new goal is to provide a fantastic experience "out of the box" on the first day......on your current computer."
I'm interpreting that realistically to mean that you can enjoy it on an average computer, but not necessarily at max settings and with very high framerates. Anyone interpreting that to mean more is going to be disappointed.Most games are targeted to run acceptably on average computers, with the detail settings at around medium, and with decent but not great framerates. Those who have more powerful systems can turn up the settings and/or get better framerates. Why would Flight be any different? Would you want the max detail levels to be limited to 512MB of video RAM to ensure that average computers are able to use max settings?

The performance will mainly come from the fully working DX10 (but not only from DX10) as explained here at the bottom of Phil's post, efficiency of the water and bloom improvements = 20% better FPS under load, and that was with DX10 as a preview,http://blogs.msdn.co...ndex=1#comments

The performance will mainly come from the fully working DX10 (but not only from DX10) as explained here at the bottom of Phil's post, efficiency of the water and bloom improvements = 20% better FPS under load, and that was with DX10 as a preview,http://blogs.msdn.co...ndex=1#comments
DX10 has not been the magic bullet of high FPS as they thought. Flight has to be multithreaded to have any chance of achieving the decent performance they are seeking. I would be shocked if it weren't designed to use multicore.

DX10 has not been the magic bullet of high FPS as they thought. Flight has to be multithreaded to have any chance of achieving the decent performance they are seeking. I would be shocked if it weren't designed to use multicore.
I understand that DX10 is not the magic bullet and as I said the performance gain will not only come from DX10, I use DX10 only and with the right driver and adjustment in Inspector there is not shimmerings at all, I still see some flickering runway here and there but not with Orbx scenery (again with the right driver and adjtment).I will try to upload a small vid. on youtube when flying over KORS from Orbx with all sliders to the right including the FPS at unlimited, I'll be posting it later as the file to upload is 3.9G, this will take some time.

OK here it is in DX10 with all sliders to the right but car traffic at 30% at KORS, I pushed the plane and the rig to the max, I added some strong wing and I jerked the plane around pretty hard, the small stuttering you'll see are from Fraps as I don't have any in the original vid., I have not edited these vid in any way.I did keep the FPS counter on in the first vid to show the fluctuation of frame per sec., some of the performance gain we'll get from Flight will come from MS fixing DX10.Anyway this is not the prettiest vid. but this is just to show what DX10 can do with the right settings...remember pushed to the limit...I forgot ...no shimmerings at all..:(

Strong winds at landing....phew....

Forget shimmering, what about the messed up night lighting that shines through the solid walls of the cockpit when using DX10. This is the only reason I have never used DX10 preview, it looks ridiculous.

Sign in to follow this  
  • Tom Allensworth,
    Founder of AVSIM Online

• Flight Simulation's Premier Resource!

AVSIM is a free service to the flight simulation community. AVSIM is staffed completely by volunteers and all funds donated to AVSIM go directly back to supporting the community. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. Thank you for your support!

Click here for more information and to see all donations year to date.