Sign in to follow this  
MikeT707

Flight Model in Webisode 4

I was really impressed with Webisode 4, which gave us a much longer look at how the sim actually flies. Wondering what people thought of the flight model, from what we can see.

spacer.png

REX AccuSeason Developer

REX Simulations

Guest ShinyJetSyndrome

Hard to judge the flight model just by watching a single video but since you asked... I think the sloppy aileron roll in the Stearman followed by a pull up in a bank is a great way to get into a spin in real life or maybe even lose a wing. smile.gif

Hard to judge the flight model just by watching a single video but since you asked... I think the sloppy aileron roll in the Stearman followed by a pull up in a bank is a great way to get into a spin in real life or maybe even lose a wing. smile.gif
Perhaps you can tell us how many 'g' it was pulling?

The Stearman is a seriously tough aeroplane, it is actually stressed for 12G positive and 9G negative. Like pretty much every biplane, the box formed by the wings, braced by the lift and drag wires makes it incredibly robust, especially since it was originally designed as a trainer for ham-fisted student pilots. You'd break your neck before you'd break the wings off a Stearman.Al

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

Guest ShinyJetSyndrome
The Stearman is a seriously tough aeroplane, it is actually stressed for 12G positive and 9G negative. Like pretty much every biplane, the box formed by the wings, braced by the lift and drag wires makes it incredibly robust, especially since it was originally designed as a trainer for ham-fisted student pilots. You'd break your neck before you'd break the wings off a Stearman.Al
Wow that's quite impressive. blink.gif
Perhaps you can tell us how many 'g' it was pulling?
I can't say for sure. (My guess would be 3-4 G's towards the end of the recovery.) I'm referring to the recovery technique that was employed in the video.Many pilots have destroyed their planes (and lives) by attempting to do aerobatic maneuvers [in their not so aerobatic aircraft] in the same fashion. I was speaking in the context of a Utility Category in the realm of +4.4G/-1.8G. Obviously the Stearman is a different case with the +12/-9 limit load factor.However, there's still a risk of an accelerated stall on the rising wing. (Think greater angle of attack with the lowered aileron along with the relatively low airspeed.) Especially if aileron is used in the roll in lieu of rudder. That would be quite a welcome step up in the flight dynamics department if it were possible to snap roll the aircraft like that.

I personally think that it seems to look the same as what we have now in FSX. --BUT, I feel that it would be at the in MS's best interest to enhance the way that flight model's are coded so that teams like PMDG can make it exactly like the real thing more easily.

To me the video seems like the planes do not fly "on rails" as much as the previous versions.

spacer.png

REX AccuSeason Developer

REX Simulations

Looks exactly the same to me as FSX
OK, make a video in FSX of a Stearman doing the exact same tumble maneuver. Big%20Grin.gif
To me the video seems like the planes do not fly "on rails" as much as the previous versions.
I was thinking the same thing. The way the Stearman "falls" makes it look like it's not flying on rails.

Brandon Filer

I'll tell you what made it look better than FSX (to me anyway), the realisic camera effects! It's a believeable spot view that mimics a cameraman in another aircraft trying to keep a moving target in frame, bobbing, swinging, veering, rising, falling out of his shot. his frame isnt nailed to the subjects center, he's trying to follow it across his field of view. that's what makes Videos by artists like Jaggyroad Films and Jigsaw so enjoyable... of course they're using EZDok and TrackIR and other movie editing tools to create this effect. Games like 'Dirt 2' and 'Wings of Prey' achieve this marvelously on internal replays.

Sign in to follow this  
  • Tom Allensworth,
    Founder of AVSIM Online

• Flight Simulation's Premier Resource!

AVSIM is a free service to the flight simulation community. AVSIM is staffed completely by volunteers and all funds donated to AVSIM go directly back to supporting the community. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. Thank you for your support!

Click here for more information and to see all donations year to date.