Sign in to follow this  
vc10man

Duplicate Scenery

I installed a freeware Mauritius X add-on airport which was distributed freely as a cover disk by PC Pilot.However,I have discovered that when landing at FIMP(Mauritius Intl),there was another layer underneath,and when parked at the gate, I could clearly see another sub-layer with the newly-installed airport at an elevated height.I tried to use Airport Scanner which was recommended in another Forum as a possible cure to my Level-D g3d.dll issues to find duplicated sceneries or .BGLs but could not find FIMP.It however did find some recently installed FSDT stuff.Any ideas how I can get rid of the duplicate at FIMP or any other duplicates? Additionally,using UK2000 EGCC,I find my AI aircraft(MT X)using a totally different path on the taxi-way to Rwy6L,i.e.taxi-ing along the grass.

Both problems get the same approach, HALVSIES. For each (separately) turn off all the add on scenery, leaving just default and the folders for the add on. Problem there or gone? If there, then you should be looking in the default folders for a problem file. If the problem isn't there then go and add back HALF the scenery entries previously turned off and check for the problem. Not there, add half of what's left and so on. If the problem pops up after adding some entries back into the Scenery Library at least you've narrowed things down.Tedious, but it should get you to the general folder that contains the files causing the problems.

Thanks for that,meshman. Sounds tedious as you so rightly say,but I'll give it a go. I'd thought there might have been some kind of utility that would throw up duplicate .BGLs. Airport Scanner did not do the trick.

Has anyone any idea what is causing this weird scenery at FIMP(Mauritius International)? I have downloaded Airport Scanner for FSX but it cannot find a duplicate airport here.The airport scenery featured here is the one that was a freeware on the latest PC Pilot issue. The jetways do not look normal.Behind the terminal buildings I can clearly see an opaque layer of terrain underneath.I need to know how to delete the original default scenery for this airport but cannot seem to find its location within the Scenery folder in the FSX root directory.Any assists appreciated.

Has anyone any idea what is causing this weird scenery at FIMP(Mauritius International)? I have downloaded Airport Scanner for FSX but it cannot find a duplicate airport here.The airport scenery featured here is the one that was a freeware on the latest PC Pilot issue. The jetways do not look normal.Behind the terminal buildings I can clearly see an opaque layer of terrain underneath.I need to know how to delete the original default scenery for this airport but cannot seem to find its location within the Scenery folder in the FSX root directory.Any assists appreciated.
Rick,Do not delete or disable the default scenery for the area.I dont have the issue of PC Pilot you got this from, but the airport is available here in the Avsim Library (same thing as what is on the disk). I am going to download and install it on my rig to see if I have the same issues your seeing. Did the one you got off the disk come with an installer or did you install the scenery manually?I'm sure it will be easy to fix. Let me give it a shot on my rig and see what happens.Regards

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Hi cmpbellsjc.Thanks for your assist. Not sure if you can get that PC Pilot bi-monthly magazine wherever you are, but every issue they offer 'freebies',i.e. freeware that authors have donated to the mag,and Mauritius X was one of them.It was installed with its own installer which placed the files in C:\FSX\Addon Scenery.All I had to do then was add it from the Add Scenery menu in FSX.The original default Mauritius also showed those jetways without any connections to a building which I thought was a bit odd.And when coming into to land at that airport with the installed LIMP FX,I found the 767 bouncing all over the place as if there was another layer underneath.

Hi cmpbellsjc.Thanks for your assist. Not sure if you can get that PC Pilot bi-monthly magazine wherever you are, but every issue they offer 'freebies',i.e. freeware that authors have donated to the mag,and Mauritius X was one of them.
Hi Rick,I used to get that magazine from Barnes and Noble as well as Computer Pilot, but I stopped buying them about a year ago because most of the info, reviews, how-to's, etc, were already things I read about here on Avsim and other FS forums.Not to worry though, the same airport is here on the Avsim library :-)
It was installed with its own installer which placed the files in C:\FSX\Addon Scenery.All I had to do then was add it from the Add Scenery menu in FSX.The original default Mauritius also showed those jetways without any connections to a building which I thought was a bit odd.And when coming into to land at that airport with the installed LIMP FX,I found the 767 bouncing all over the place as if there was another layer underneath.
Ok, I downloaded the airport from the library here on Avsim, installed it, tested it and it works fine on my rig. I am wondering if the installer that it used did something wrong, had a missing file, or was incomplete. Just curious, but did the installer place a file in your FSX/Scenery/World/Scenery folder called FIMP_ADEX_XX_ALT.BGL. If not, then your missing a file and what I would do is run the uninstaller that came with your version, then download the version here on the Avsim library and manually install it.BTW, I tested just the stock airport and it doens't have any jetways even with scenery complexity set to the max of extremely dense which is the slider the default jetways are tied to.POST EDIT: I noticed in your first post that you're using MTX for AI. Most likely the issue is that you need to go into the folder that includes all the MTX ADE files and disable the one for that airport since you noted the AI are following a different path. Why the scanner didn't pick it up could be due to a few reasons, but you should be able to locate the MTX ADE file for FIMP manually and either rename it, move it to a back up folder or delete it.

Hi cmpbellsjcThere is only one thing to say to all that you have written--Muchas Gracias and superlative.Thank you big style :(

Hi cmpbellsjcThere is only one thing to say to all that you have written--Muchas Gracias and superlative.Thank you big style :(
No problem, glad to help anytime.Does this mean that your problem is fixed?

No problem, glad to help anytime.Does this mean that your problem is fixed?
No,as right now I'm in the middle of a night flight.As soon as I have landed at Male,will try out your tips.Thanks once more.Will update you. :(

Hi cmpbellsjcAs promised,an update.First,I traced that FIMP scenery in Avsim,and discovered that it is the same author,Max Kraus,who has donated that same scenery to PC Pilot. I also found another update by somebody else that added jetways to the default FIMP airport.So,after uninstalling the version I had installed from that PC Pilot disk,I installed that default FSX airport update,and sure enough it did add jetways.So far so good.I then deleted that jeyway update from \Addon Scenery\scenery folder.I then installed that Avsim FIMP file,and lo and behold I was back at square one.The default terrain is sitting at a level below that Max Kraus version's airport terrain.Additionally, the images accompanying that Avsim download do not show as per those 4 images.So, I dropped down to where those little huts,etc are and looked up to see the Max Kraus version built atop a plateau.That cannot be right as FIMP'a actual altitude is around 190 feet ASL whereas this 'plateau' looks at least a couple of thousand.It seems like that the default FIMP airport scenery is merging with Max Kraus's sceneryAdditionally,I also deleted the My Traffic folder from the Addon Scenery list within FSX.Made no difference.Where do I go next?

If the addon scenery is at a height different from the default, you need a stub (dummy) AFD file in Scenery\World\Scenery to set the height of the addon.George.

Hi cmpbellsjcAs promised,an update.First,I traced that FIMP scenery in Avsim,and discovered that it is the same author,Max Kraus,who has donated that same scenery to PC Pilot. I also found another update by somebody else that added jetways to the default FIMP airport.So,after uninstalling the version I had installed from that PC Pilot disk,I installed that default FSX airport update,and sure enough it did add jetways.So far so good.I then deleted that jeyway update from \Addon Scenery\scenery folder.I then installed that Avsim FIMP file,and lo and behold I was back at square one.The default terrain is sitting at a level below that Max Kraus version's airport terrain.Additionally, the images accompanying that Avsim download do not show as per those 4 images.So, I dropped down to where those little huts,etc are and looked up to see the Max Kraus version built atop a plateau.That cannot be right as FIMP'a actual altitude is around 190 feet ASL whereas this 'plateau' looks at least a couple of thousand.It seems like that the default FIMP airport scenery is merging with Max Kraus's sceneryAdditionally,I also deleted the My Traffic folder from the Addon Scenery list within FSX.Made no difference.Where do I go next?
Hi Rick,Just to make sure I got this straight. You uninstalled the version for PC Pilot, then installed an ADE file for FIPM to add jetways, then deleted that file, then installed the Max's FIPM from Avsim, and also deleted the MyTraffic folder from the Addon Scenery list.Ok, assuming I got that straight, you never answered the question I asked before which was:Do you have a file called FIMP_ADEX_XX_ALT.BGL in your FSX/Scenery/World/Scenery folder? Keep in mind this ISN'T the same folder as the Addon Scenery/Scenery folder.If you don't have that file (FIMP_ADEX_XX_ALT.BGL) in your FSX/Scenery/World/Scenery then you will get some anomalies. The FIMP_ADEX_XX_ALT.BGL file comes with the Max's download version and is a seperate file from the ones in the Scenery and Texture folders that are in the base of what goes in the Addon Scenery/Scenery folder.Please check that and let me know.

Hi Rick,Just to make sure I got this straight. You uninstalled the version for PC Pilot, then installed an ADE file for FIPM to add jetways, then deleted that file, then installed the Max's FIPM from Avsim, and also deleted the MyTraffic folder from the Addon Scenery list.Ok, assuming I got that straight, you never answered the question I asked before which was:Do you have a file called FIMP_ADEX_XX_ALT.BGL in your FSX/Scenery/World/Scenery folder? Keep in mind this ISN'T the same folder as the Addon Scenery/Scenery folder.If you don't have that file (FIMP_ADEX_XX_ALT.BGL) in your FSX/Scenery/World/Scenery then you will get some anomalies. The FIMP_ADEX_XX_ALT.BGL file comes with the Max's download version and is a seperate file from the ones in the Scenery and Texture folders that are in the base of what goes in the Addon Scenery/Scenery folder.Please check that and let me know.
Hi cmpbellsjcSorry I forgot to add to my previous post,that I did look in that FSX/Scenery/World/scenery folder. No such file as FIMP_ADEX_XXA_ALT.BGL in there. Just some files with BNXWorld.bgl and traffic_Brisbane.bgl( I have ORBX's Brisbane)That jetways update was found in the same Avsim location as when looking fo Max Kraus's file.All it did was add jetway to the default FIMP.Hope this is of help.Thanks once again.

Hi cmpbellsjcSorry I forgot to add to my previous post,that I did look in that FSX/Scenery/World/scenery folder. No such file as FIMP_ADEX_XXA_ALT.BGL in there. Just some files with BNXWorld.bgl and traffic_Brisbane.bgl( I have ORBX's Brisbane)That jetways update was found in the same Avsim location as when looking fo Max Kraus's file.All it did was add jetway to the default FIMP.Hope this is of help.Thanks once again.
Ok, your problem is easy to solve then.The file called FIMP_ADEX_XXA_ALT.BGL that comes with Max Kraus's download needs to be placed in your FSX/Scenery/World/scenery folder, simple as that. Assuming that you remove the other file you downloaded from Avsim to add jetways and place FIMP_ADEX_XXA_ALT.BGL in your FSX/Scenery/World/scenery folder it should work pefectly.I'm going to go thru this step by step because I think you misread the instructions.1st - The download called mauritius_fsx.zip includes these files when you unzip it.All you need to do is place the folder called Mauritius_FSX in your FSX/Addon Scenery folder and make sure its active in your scenery.cfg.2nd - Click three time on the folder that says Scenery as circled in this screen shot. 3rd - Once you get to the file called FIMP_ADEX_XXA_ALT.BGL take it and place it in your FSX/Scenery/World/Scenery folder.Assuming that you do everything I listed and you dont have any other files for FIMP installed in your computer and you dont have more than one entry in your scenery.cfg for this scenery then it should work fine. If it still doensn't then aside from accessing your rig over the net using Crossloop, I dont know what else to tell you frankly.Try this and report back.