Sign in to follow this  
Guest crabster

Close call at KACY!!

Guest crabster

Gotta share this with you fellow simmers but first this a double post, I posted in the RC forum to let JD know about in case this was a bug. I posted here so more people could see it if they wanted to:Just flew from Kpit to Kacy in Olys great dash-8-using RC. That was neat taking off in the snow and finally passing the front just outside of Phila into clear skies (gotta love wxRE). Anyways....I was given vectors to rwy 13(ILS). At about the 5 mile mark I'm told to contact tower, which I promptly do. Tower clears me to land rwy 13 and gives me winds (330) he says I'm #1. Now I'm thinking if winds are 330 how come I'm not coming in on rwy 31? I contnue on.I shortly notice a lear jet in the air at the end of 13(31). From where I'm at it looks like he had just departed 13. At about 75agl I still see the lear, but it looks like he's getting closer, I then spy a Spirit MD holding short of 31. Now I am about 10 feet from touchdown. The controller all of a sudden tells me to go-around and chastises the lear! As he tells me this I touchdown. I suddendly realise that the lear was on finals for 31! Just as I'm about to go to full power, the lear climbs so I slow and get the hell of the rwy. The taxi to the terminal is uneventful :)That was interesting to say the least!! If this was real world and an accident would have occured, who would have been the bad guy? me? the lear? the tower? or is there enough pie to pass around?

If the Lear was not cleared for landing, then his ticket just got pulled by the FAA. He'll be unemployed for a while. You were cleared for landing, end of story. However, you were told to go around. Does that put you at fault for anything, NO. ATC can tell you to do something, but you, the pilot are in command and make the final decision in a situation like that. If the tower said, "go around" and you see that it would result in a collision, you don't answer, you don't argue, you do what you must to keep something worse from happening. You done good boy!The tower must know that the lear is a more maneuverable aircraft and was in a better position to GA, not the Dash8 on very short final. Tower should have told the lear to GA. This reminds me of another point that I don't see stressed to real pilots (esp general aviation ones) is that if you receive an instruction from ATC, you can refuse it by simply replying,"unable." If they want you to do something that is going to hurt you, the plane, or someone else, you don't have to do it. But you'd better have a GOOD legitimate reason for doing so. If ATC wants to slam dunk me into the patten or que for final and it's going to require me to cold soak my baby's engine, NO WAY!! That's a lot of money down the drain on a turbo charged engine. I say "unable" and they have to deal with it. You are the PIC and you are in control of the A/C-regardless of what ATC thinks!;)

Guest crabster

Hi Scott thanks for the reply. I didn't feel I had any other choice then to slow down and try to get off the rwy asap. If I had applied power and started to climb there would have been a great chance for a collision. It was an interesting experience thats for sure. It also added some spice to the humdrum flightsim world :)