Sign in to follow this  
MistyBlue

Real world SID/STAR Procedure Question

Hi Captains. Another hint:If you are close to your top if decend point tune in the airport ATIS freq and you will know which rwy is in use and weather conditions. This can help planning your approach.

Hi Captains. Another hint:If you are close to your top if decend point tune in the airport ATIS freq and you will know which rwy is in use and weather conditions. This can help planning your approach.
In FSX?? I found at least for me that the arrival ATIS only work within 75 miles of the Airport and some times the top of decent is beyond that.

In the EU:dispatcher files your flightplan.Basically there's a thing called flow control.What happens is, you as either pilot or dispatcher file the routing you want to use (having taken due care and attention to NOTAMS that might prohibit the use of airspaces/airways)This is first sent to the CFMU to be validated and checked (and coordinated to all affected TMZs). It can then either be accepted and filed (by CFMU) or be rejected.concerning the SID STAR issue. Really it's up to you to decide which one you use, obviously taking into account the restrictions imposed on some SIDs/STARsAlso, obviously an airline will always want to keep the routing distance minimal and hope for the shortest arrival. (not in fuel planning though!)If the problem arises that you expect runway XX with STAR A, and wind changes into runway YY with STAR B (which has a different initial fix) usually the plan will remain the same routing, but somewhere along the final part of the routing they will give you a direct to the initial fix for STAR B, or they vector you all the way in.It's really up to ATC, remember flying off route is not prohibited unless explicitly mentioned (f.e. turkish airspace => only allowed on the airways) The only main consideration flying off route is military airspaces, PRD zones, TMA's and minimum off route altitudes (grid MORA's)Though in general we tend to prefer using the airways as they have usually been established for a good reason and assure good traffic flow.What I usually do is prepare for both of the arrivals. Once you get within range for ATIS reception (usually 160nm) you'll know what to expect. If not: ASK! ;)

t's really up to ATC, remember flying off route is not prohibited unless explicitly mentioned (f.e. turkish airspace => only allowed on the airways) The only main consideration flying off route is military airspaces, PRD zones, TMA's and minimum off route altitudes (grid MORA's)Though in general we tend to prefer using the airways as they have usually been established for a good reason and assure good traffic flow.
You can validate your routes in the IFPUV (CFMU) yourself if you are interested: https://www.public.c...spec/index.html and then go to the IFPUV editor.About direct routings in Europe, they are limited and depend on the FIR. In the Netherlands and in Belgium it is forbidden, but there are a few exceptions (f.e. ASDAK dct LNO for Eindhoven EHEH arrivals). In Germany it seems to depend on the FIR, but IIRC a 40nm direct is allowed in most. In Austria directs are prohibited.BUT, that is about the flightplan. Even if you are not allowed to file directs, ATC can still give you a shortcut.
What I usually do is prepare for both of the arrivals. Once you get within range for ATIS reception (usually 160nm) you'll know what to expect. If not: ASK! ;)
Flying on IVAO, I mostly prepare for one runway if that is obvious. If the winds are unpredictable I plan my descend to be able to make the shortest approach and level off in between if needed. But often it depends on the airport, so get approach charts and just keep the altitude restrictions printed on them. In most cases you are able to make your approach without problems if you do that.Dion Mollert

In FSX?? I found at least for me that the arrival ATIS only work within 75 miles of the Airport and some times the top of decent is beyond that.
Well if you have no clue what rwy is in use it can help. I don't know how fsx works in offline I only fly in vatsim and it works for me.Or fly with real weather and you can download real metars from the internet.

I really haven't gotten into VATSIM yet. Really a bit reluctant because while I know some basic aviation phraseology, it's geared toward GA and not heavy aircraft. I'd prefer not to embarrass myself and upset the controllers until I know what I'm doing :( I generally fly offline and use realtime weather. This way all my apps (RC4, ASE, TopCat, etc) are in sync and I can use real world otherwise it's a bear to get everything right. I just wish all my apps would report exactly the same weather for the same airport. Seems like each app has its own realtime source and they vary between them which sometimes creates some odd results.

Tony

I really haven't gotten into VATSIM yet. Really a bit reluctant because while I know some basic aviation phraseology, it's geared toward GA and not heavy aircraft. I'd prefer not to embarrass myself and upset the controllers until I know what I'm doing :(
We'd be delighted to have you. The general pilot group on the network right now isn't exactly the greatest, so if you can file a flight plan that isn't IFR GPS DIRECT (unless it's satellite field to sat field), and can turn left and right without a 10 second delay, you're set. If you file a remark that you're new on the network, we'll slow the clearance rant down a good bit so you can write it all down. Having GA experience, you'll actually be ahead of the game. Just don't file "RW PILOT"...

Kyle Rodgers