Sign in to follow this  
joolsd

SImple question

If the wind is 212 @ 12, what should you enter on the wind/slope page on the FMC on the take off page?I have noticed if you enter 0/0 you get DN0.0/HD00But what if it is 212@23?thanks

If the wind is 212 @ 12, what should you enter on the wind/slope page on the FMC on the take off page?I have noticed if you enter 0/0 you get DN0.0/HD00But what if it is 212@23?thanks
Julian,Simple answer is:Slope is not relevant in FSX.Wind: Enter the component, HD or TL component as relevant.Regards,Harry

Ahh ok, so there is no slope in FSX, or any other Flight sim?
Julian, basically no there isn't. Some developers have managed to 'cheat' and create runway slopes, but it's pretty rare, and I don't have any personal experience of how it affects the performance of the aircraft as I don't own any of those sceneries.A headwind component can be caclulated in a number of ways. If you have TOPCAT then it will show you the headwind component automatically, or you could use this page.

Mark Adeane - NZWN
Boeing777_Banner_BetaTeam.jpg

Okay...here's a question. Do you type in the headwind even if the crosswind is greater? Last time I flew the MD11, it was out of KSEA and I had a cross wind of 13kts and calculated headwind of 8kts. Mark

The only part of the wind that affects you would be the head or tail, in terms of amount of runway used. There is still a head or tailwind component to a crosswind. If it's cross, but slightly ahead of you, it still has a headwind component, and the opposite is true. A true crosswind - wind perfectly 90 degrees to your intended motion - essentially has a zero headwind/tailwind component. A quartering headwind (crosswind at 45 degrees from straight on) of 12 knots, is essentially a 6 knot headwind. Knowing your trigonometry would help immensely.Think of winds as vectors (a font to back - along the length of your fuselage, and a side to side). Your MD-11 as an option for this on the panel for you to use until you get used to the concept.

Kyle Rodgers