Sign in to follow this  
Ygor Montenegro

PMDG and Xplane.. A good idea?

Well gentlemens,Everybody knows that Xplane is starting to get better in his realism, compared to Microsoft's Flight Simulator, xplane is better in flight dynamics, sloped runways, birds, advanced failures system, etc..And we have a Newer version comming soon. But the only problem of Xplane flight sim is:There are no airplanes with the quality of a PMDG software!! I can count with one hand the number of good airplanes for Xplane FS!! And you know what was discovered?? You can use 3dsmax files on Xplane, what turns the job for PMDG easier, so they don't need to make an other flight model!! i know that this is not too simple, but if PMDG produce products for Xplane.. HA! It will dominate all the market of Xplane flight simulation!! If PMDG start to sell planes for Xplane FS..I will be the first one to buy!!Loser.gif

X-Plane is tinkered with,and changed too frequently,rendering complex ad-dons unusable for any proper length of time.

Jim Driscoll, MSI Raider GE76 12UHS-607 17.3" Gaming Laptop Computer - Blue Intel Core i9 12th Gen 12900HK 1.8GHz Processor; NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 Ti 16GB GDDR6; 64GB DDR5-4800 RAM; Dual M2 2TB Solid State Drives.Driving a Sony KD-50X75, and KDL-48R470B @ 4k 3724x2094,MSFS 2020, 30 FPS on Ultra Settings.

Jorg/Asobo: “Weather is a core part of our simulator, and we will strive to make it as accurate as possible.”Also Jorg/Asobo: “We are going to limit the weather API to rain intensity only.”

They'll probably not consider it until they know if X-Plane 10 is stable and Laminar are going to leave it that way instead of constantly tweaking it, and that other developers of sceneries and such are going for it too. The amount of development lead time necessary to produce something like a 737 NG to PMDG's standards is far presently too risky a proposition with the X-Plane goalposts constantly being moved around. A lot will probably also depend on how MS Flight is received and what the capabilities of that are.Not saying PMDG would never consider it, I don't know, because that is up to them, but they would have to know that people were using it and developing for it, after all, people who want a realistic airliner also want realistic AI traffic, realistic airports, realistic ATC, etc, so the realism that PMDG offers has to fit into a jigsaw puzzle of realism in other areas of the sim that is on par to their own standards if it is to be able to shine.Al

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

Well gentlemens,Everybody knows that Xplane is starting to get better in his realism, compared to Microsoft's Flight Simulator, xplane is better in flight dynamics, sloped runways, birds, advanced failures system, etc..And we have a Newer version comming soon. But the only problem of Xplane flight sim is:
Not everybody believes that X-Plane is "better" in the flight dynamics department. Some actually believe, that if you put enough dimensions and specs into X-Planes Plane Maker, that Plane Maker will take care of the rest. That all sounds good, but it's far from reality. A good X-Plane has to be tweaked to hit aircraft specs............much more times than not. Often, an X-Plane just doesn't "feel" right. And I'm not talking about that fluid floating magic carpet feeling, that many new to X-Plane rave about. I'm talking about the sense of "feel", when it comes to flight surfaces connected to the controls. As X-Plane programmers have manipulated the program, that "feel" is becoming more & more. It use to be pitiful. I felt like I was manipulating a puppet on a string, without no sense of dampening, interia, and few other descriptions I can't think of at the moment.But never the less............ X-Plane is NOT better in the flight dynamics department, than FSX...........for which PMDG designs. If it were, all pilots with real piloting experience would have jumped the FSX ship..........years ago!L.Adamson --- FS9/FSX/ X-Plane 9

But never the less............ X-Plane is NOT better in the flight dynamics department, than FSX...........for which PMDG designs. If it were, all pilots with real piloting experience would have jumped the FSX ship..........years ago!L.Adamson --- FS9/FSX/ X-Plane 9
In YOUR opinion. If everyone followed your opinion, ALL commercial developers would be developing for FSX and Austin Meyer would be broke and working in some engineering firm for a salary.Some developers prefer x plane over FSX...for their own reasons. THAT should be respected.Back to the OP's post. X-Plane and FSX are completely different when it comes to programming. FSX uses Direct X. X Plane uses OpenGL.No developer can just up and move to X Plane and expect to make something with the click of a mouse button. Even PMDG would have to learn to make flight models all over again. And the opinion that it's easier to make add ons for x plane than FSX is a myth. It's just as hard, if not harder to make an x plane add on PROPERLY than it is for FSX.And something else that strikes me as odd. I see many people say they would get x plane in a heartbeat if PMDG expands to x plane. Why? They don't make the sim any better. They cannot enhance it's source code. X-Plane is X-Plane. No one but the author can change how it works.But you might be right. If more FSX developers expand to X Plane, FSX users might start thinking twice about it.

Hi all !PMDG and X-Plane a good idea ? Yes, I think it's a very good idea. But PMDG doesn't think so:http://forum.avsim.net/topic/242995-pmdg-for-x-plane/Other companies are now building add-ons for X-Plane: The CRJ-200 has been released, XP Jets is building a 777, Leading Edge Simulations is building a Saab 340, IXEG is building a 737 Classic...

I agree with all!!I realy think that FSX is better in some cases, and the problem with the constantly updates is real, that's why i use both( MSFS and Xplane). About the realistic dynamics, you are totaly right, this is faaar from reality, yea it realy sounds good, but isn't. (Sometimes you can takeoff a 747 with a rwy with 3000ft). Realistic airports, AI traffic, ATC service!! That is an other problem that should be corrected in version 10.About the addons.. ok.. when we will got a Realistic transcontinental aircraft??(Only a 777!! where are the 767, 747, MD-11, A330??) What about apple users?! they only have xplane to save them, because Microsoft will never build a Game for Mac users!!

In YOUR opinion.
You clearly failed to get Larry's point. He was not stating his opinion, he was quoting a fact that many professional pilots stick with FSX. BTW in case you did not know Larry is a real pilot.But it is obvoius that X-Plane is favored by some and it has ardent following.It is great that X-Plane is around and we have more choices, both simulators deserve a market share.

Two of these threads in one day lol!I agree that it would be difficult to design a plane (and maintain it) with software that changes constantly.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

You clearly failed to get Larry's point. He was not stating his opinion, he was quoting a fact that many professional pilots stick with FSX. BTW in case you did not know Larry is a real pilot.But it is obvoius that X-Plane is favored by some and it has ardent following.It is great that X-Plane is around and we have more choices, both simulators deserve a market share.
Correct. Fact is many professional pilots stick with FSX. Another fact is many professional pilots also stick with x-plane. All comes down to personal preference. That's what is so great about today's society. We can make choices. What I was referring to was it is his opinion that X-Plane is NOT better than FSX. Yes, I do know Larry is a pilot. I know about his Vans RV6. I am also a pilot and have been flying since 1997.