Sign in to follow this  
rsperge

expertise advise needed on new rig/just for fsx

In the next couple days going to pur chase a new computer. Currently have a I975 oc 4.0ghz 6gigs of ram 580gtx 1,000 watts, for some reason can't get this rig to budge anymore, and I know fsx is all about computer power.So if I could build as perfect a computer just for FSX what would I need, forget what I have now, here are some of my own suggestions:Sandy 2600k overclocked from 4.5 to 5.0What motherboard would you suggest?for ram, do I need 6 gigs or 8 gigs, and what format or recommendations, I know timings are important, and please be specific.video card - going with 580 evga gtxoperating system - windows 7, currently running home premium tower - c oolmasterhalf 932, any thoughts, this is what I am currently using.Icooling system - I know we want to keep those temps down, which one would you recommend, noctura, corsair, throw in your thoughts.please do!!!!!!!!hardrives - one soley for fsx, currently have for addons, utx, gex, rex 2 overdirve, ut2, planes - PMDG - Queen of the Skies 747-400, j41, md-80 professional, level -d 767, Captain sim, 707, 727, 757, and 777. the Duke, Airbus-X, tamps rebooted, fs dreamteam- Fort Lauderdale and JFK. I know one dirve will be just devoted to fsx, for example g drive, and operating system would be on c drive. Each drive would be 300gb currently using Velcoraptor, any suggestions herre welcomed. For fsx should I get a bigger hardrive and what brand?power supply - would 1,000 watts be sufficient? I know this 580 uses up 600 watts also will have the 2709 Dell Ultra Sharp 27"and my Bose companion 5 speakers. Currently using 1,000 watts.I would like to build by own computer but I"m disabled unfortunately so I know will have to spend at least 3k USA dollars but thats no issue. I want the best possible hardware for fsx been using it since 98, and even with my current system it struggles for some reason.Concluding please give me all of your opinions and thoughts so on my next computer for FSX will be a bit more smoother. and if if forgot anything else here that I may need let me know!!!! motherboards and ram I am still a bit confused on.thanks to all, Ronny

Holy cr*p, they charge more for compurter parts in the USA to the disabled, I think you have a good discrimination case here :wink: If you plan to use your current case and just upgrade, I think you will be able to do it for much much less than $3000.CPU - fineMB - Go Z68 (my ASRock is nice and recommended by Toms Hardware)Video Card - perfectOperating system - as long as its 64bit, fine.Cooling - I did the Nochua and it is great. I personally like not having water in my case just in case (and I had a just in case that messed up my computer last time)Hard drives - Raptors are great, maybe overkill. Just make sure you have enough space so you use less than 50% of the drive when fully loaded with FSX and addons.Power supply - fineI think you can do this for around $1000 based on you just having to buy the CPU ($200), MB ($220), Cooler ($80) and video card ($500).Mark.

Mark W   CYYZ      

My Simhttps://goo.gl/photos/oic45LSoaHKEgU8E9

My Concorde Tutorial Videos available here:  https://www.youtube.com/user/UPS1000

Sorry, I forgot about the ram. You need dual channel, not sure what you have now. 8 gig works, I purchased the G Skill 7-8-7-24. Make sure it is CAS7 if at all possible. Cost will be around $130.Mark.

Mark W   CYYZ      

My Simhttps://goo.gl/photos/oic45LSoaHKEgU8E9

My Concorde Tutorial Videos available here:  https://www.youtube.com/user/UPS1000

We're discussing this on the "Symptoms of Overheating" thread. It kind of drifted there. One member suggested a vendor, and we've been playing video cards and such off of that, using his prices.

any more suggestion for my new computer dedicated just for fsx ????

what would be a good cooling system for this sadybride i2600k which I expect to overclock to at least 4.6-4.8 and keeping the temps down ?also I have a coolmasterhalf 932 I was still think about using that with my new systtem but any other suggestions?

thus far it looks like I will be buying the following for my dedicated fsx computer2600k overclocked to around 4.5-4.8 or so give and take8 gb of memory - in 4 gb modules , does that sound right????? memory 1600mghz cas 7motherboard ASUS Maximus IV Extreme (Intel P67 Chipset) (New & Improved B3 Revision Without SATA 3G, ASUS Maximus IV Extreme (Intel P67 Chipset) (New & Improved B3 Revision Without SATA 3G, ASUS P8P67 Deluxe (Intel P67 Chipset) (New & Improved B3 Revision Without SATA 3GI am a bit confused on motherboards what would you choose since I will be overclocking and possibly even to 5.oghz????????What are your thought on solid state drives, i know they load faster thanother hard drives, any other advantages ir disadvantages on them. I was thinking about puting one on the operating system and the other on the soley fsx drive. I know they arre expensive, willing to pay the price for loading up flights, but please tellme your thouhts on them!!!!!!!!!!!Power supply - 1,000 watts Corsair, gtx 580, windows 7 64 bitCooling system not sure yet - Noctura or Corsair, what do you think???Basically not sure what mother board to use, should the 8 gigs of memory be in 4 gb modules? and especially do I need the ssd drives, i know they arre expensive but I am looking for speed and do they have to be setup a certain way ? and finally the cooling system.I want to enjoy fsx since I am disabled but would all the advise you can give me, I know there are a lots if exoerts, so please help me out on this so I can have a nice flight witFSXthanks to all, Ronny

I think your missing out on the neatest option for flight sims. MULTIPLE MONITORS rotated in profile. Thats where I would spend all my money with your current system.013Medium.jpgRegards,Burnerski

Haha, awesome! Is that your setup? How can it be done?

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Guest PFL

I keep staring at them bezels..!ohmy.gif

Now we might have a change of plans, and keep my original computer with the specs mentioned earlier: the reason the company that I bought my computer gave me a 980x instead of my original I975 which I never seemed to be able to overclock above 4.0ghz and thats the reason wshy I was thinking abou the sandy 2600k.So here are my current specs: Windows 7, 64 bit, 980x, put back my original 2 vidoe cards back in 285 gtx, evga x58 sli le, separate hard drive just for fsx, 1600 mhz memory, 6 gigs of memory, 1,000 watts, 27" screen.. So here is my problem, first of all with this 980x how much better will it be to overclock than my 975? If I could get it up to 4.4 I would forget all about sandy and buying a new computer. You see I am just a bit unfamilar about this 980x the company sent to me in replacement for my 975 which I had issues with..So please help me out with this 980x and the 580 gtx if I keep my current setup I will go back to Microcenter and purchase it againFinally if you have any overclock settings with the 980x I would greatly appreciate it., and of course I always follow Nicks, rules about setting up fsx, and using of Nivida Inspector..

someone out there please help me ab out this 980x and overclocking?