Sign in to follow this  
joolsd

A bit HOT on approach!

Hi all.I was experimenting with the MD last night. Got the ILS and landing all set up. But for some reason 2 miles out the aircraft was still over 200kt.Auto pilot was out, and I was at minimum thrust. I did a go around and hand flew a back to finals, and the speed slowed back to 160KT. ( more normal app speed)Genarally speaking when descending, the aircraft is too fast. I think it is flying the FMC speed. :Thinking:A few tips from MD11 fans would be appreciated.

Julian, a really good place to start is with the tutorials, if you haven't already. Some of what I'm about to go over mightn't make sense if you haven't covered that tutorial. Plus they really help to expose you to all the key features of the MD11.Prior to top of descent, I set the Nav Display to PLAN mode and then go into the F-PLN page on the MCDU. From here I can identify speeds for each waypoint on the MCDU and cross reference that with the picture you're seeing on the ND. By doing this you should have a fair idea of what the FMS-calculated speeds will be all the way down.Normally the aircraft will slow down in good time but be sure to lower flaps and gear at appropriate stages of the deceleration otherwise the aircraft will not keep reducing speed (i.e. it won't slow down below the minimum safe speed for a given configuration).Of course, if in doubt you can always set a speed of your own choosing, then pull the speed knob (i.e. right click) and look for a speed in white on your PFD to confirm. Speeds I use if I want to amange things myself are: 220 knots in the pattern, 200 knots to intercept localizer, reducing to 180 knots while intercepting glideslope then down to vApp once established. If the wind is gusty, I manually set vApp plus five extra knots.Remember the airplane is pretty slick until you can get out at least Flap 15, after which it slows down pretty responsively.Oh and to let the FMS manage speed again at any time just push the FMS SPD button.

Mark Adeane - NZWN
Boeing777_Banner_BetaTeam.jpg

Double check that you also had the autothrottle turned off. I have had this problem on more than one occasion.

Of course, if in doubt you can always set a speed of your own choosing, then pull the speed knob
I think this might be the problem. I would have to have another flight an pay attention to this.
Double check that you also had the autothrottle turned off. I have had this problem on more than one occasion.
Does the MD11 have auto throttle when the main auto pilot is off? Where is the option to turn it off?

Does the MD11 have auto throttle when the main auto pilot is off? Where is the option to turn it off
You need to turn off the AFS 1 and 2 switches just below AUTOFLIGHT button. You'll also lose some systems you can't get back even if you press in the AFS switches. :( The A/T was designed to be left on even when hand flying. I think it works perfectly :(

Joona Väisänen

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

You need to turn off the AFS 1 and 2 switches just below AUTOFLIGHT button. You'll also lose some systems you can't get back even if you press in the AFS switches. :( The A/T was designed to be left on even when hand flying. I think it works perfectly :(
I think there are autothrottle disconnect switches (small black buttons) on the side of the number 1 and 3 throttle levers. Using these leaves the rest of the AFS systems functioning with the exception of the autothrottle. I could be wrong about this as I am going from memory. I typically just use speed intervention to manually manage the autothrottle during approach and landing.

Nothing wrong with disconnecting the A/T using the swithces on the throttle, I have the buttons assigned to my hardware. regarding hand flying with A/T off, it is actually encouraged in gusty conditions.Regards

Rob Prest

Yes, you're both right. Sorry my bad. :( I'm so used to keeping the A/T all the way until touchdown. Besides, I've been flying the Maddog MD80 for almost half a year now. Just recently came back to the MD-11. :( Couldn't live without anymore :(

Joona Väisänen

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

I will have another go tonight and take on board these comments. Maybe need to br more aggresive with the spoilers, as well. :(

I had another flight, and it went really smooth. I think the problem with the speed on the previous flight was me not differentiating between FMS speed and speed intervene.(not pulling the nobb) Hense a bit HOT. :( I'm starting to get the feel for this MD11 bird now.