Sign in to follow this  
bblackkbirdd

Thanks - and a question about Flight DVD's

Hi everyone - long time "troller" of Forums like this, first time writing to this one. Before I ask the question listed in the topic title, I would like to share a couple of thoughts. (If this topic is not appropriate,or "wanders" too long, Admin please feel free to edit or delete as you see fit.) While I (like the legions of "Rabid" Flight Sim fans) await the release of what will surely be one of the finest examples of PMDG's work, I thought I'd take a moment to thank PMDG for all the great planes they have produced. Amazing stuff, these computer airplanes........I have been simming since the days of Bruce Artwick (yes, I'm old - I like to think of it as having many hours on my HOBBS meter :(. I have purchased planes too numerous to mention, and have enjoyed them all (to varying degrees). At the moment, we are all fixated on the impending 737 NGX release.......just be patient, my Grandfather would say...........think of all the fun you'll have with it - imagine the flights, etc.etc..Mr. Randazzo (et al) - thank you - for being so tenacious in your work. It would be easier, I'm sure, to just reach a point and say "the heck with it - let it out to the public - we'll fix probs later", as is more the norm today in software. But you do not - you have stuck to your guns, and will release the 737 NGX ONLY WHEN IT IS READY. We who use this software cannot possibly have an understanding of the scope of a project like this. I personally thought you folks could never outdo the fabulous J4100 - it is a remakable achievement in itself (and a joy to fly by hand). OK - enough "stroking" - you're all going to think I'm related to Mr. Randazzo!!! :( On to my question: does anyone in the PMDG "Family" watch any of the real airliner DVD's - like the ones by ITVV or WorldAirRoutes? I have about a dozen from both companies, and when I'm not flying on the computer, I'm watching one of these (it drives my wife of 32 years crazy - I love it!!!!) She knows I love flying (in any form). I once told her if her "girly" movies had more flying in them, I'd be happy to sit and watch those. :( How many of you folks watch these DVD's? Just curious.Anyway - thanks PMDG for making a good hobby even better!!All best,Ray Landolt (Blackbird)

How many of you folks watch these DVD's? Just curious.
Hey Ray, I actually recently got my first cockpit DVD, the JustPlanes WestJet 737-600, to help me understand 737 ops for when the NGX comes out. It was quite enlightening! Made me realize how much I'm missing and how important getting to know my FS2Crew is. I just ordered the JustPlanes Air Canada 777-300ER DVD and I'm on the lookout for other good videos, so if anyone has recommendations, please let me know.

Tony

Sometimes I'll watch cockpit DVDs as part of the research for a review for Avsim. They are useful when we are talking about an aircraft that no longer flies regularly or is difficult to check out even whilst still operational.An example of that would be the SimCheck A300-B4. Although I have a few friends who work at EADS and BAe who can be useful contacts on occasion for blagging access to things, and I've done some work on Airbus cockpit stuff myself, I could not manage to blag my way on board an operational A300, and so I had to content myself with the World Air Routes MNG Cargo DVD, since it was one of the few I could find of an A300-B4 operating with the original avionics similar enough to what is depicted in the SimCheck version. Luckily it's quite a good DVD with a useful cockpit briefing on it with good audio and clear shots of the operations, thus it was not a big hardship having to buy it to do the review, as it was an enjoyable watch anyway, and it had some 737 and maintenance checks ops on it too as a bonus, which was also interesting. Coupled with a few decent books on the Airbus A300 and a training manual, that DVD made writing the review from a reasonably informed perspective a possibility. I'd have preferred to check one out in person of course, but that isn't always possible, so that DVD came in handy.Al

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

I have two boxes full of ITVV (all of their commercial airliner videos) and Just Planes video. I also watch them a lot on my other computer when I'm flying on my main computer. I enjoy them a lot. I had to quit buying so many of them because I was running out of room to keep them.ITVV are my favorites, although they don't seem to make any new commercial airline videos. I also have some from the new producers that are poping up here lately.They are almost as addicting as flying in MSFS or X-Plane.

Hi to you all - thanks for writing. Yes, I can see where the info in these videos might be of help (whether one is writing a review, or just for one's own edification and gratification!). Interesting......My current "collection" of vids includes the follwing.......From World Air Routes:Polar Air Cargo 747-200F & 400F (great video!) - if I recall - 10 flights (4 continents), rainy, sunny, crystal clear ATC, great cockpit presentations - one of WAR's best! My new favorite!WestJet 737-600 - multiple flights - very good presentation of the "600" (the little rocket!!) - all in Canada - some nice scenery - nice!Air Canada 777-300 - one of my favs - tremendous cockpit prep presentation, Captain is very relaxed in his delivery (has great voice) - Canada to Japan (Narita and back), plus a bonus flight from Canada to Germany. Very fine video work. This is another long DVD - 233 minutes!! You get to see the famous Electronic Flight Bag at work - WOW! I hope PMDG includes this in the 777 they are doing!!! (Are you reading this, Mr. Randazzo??!! Haa haa!!!) SpiceJet 737-800 - very good - 12 flights to 7 places in India. Very good cockpit presentations, nice scenery, clear ATC, some night flights, DVD is over 3 hours! Lots of takeoffs and landings! My only negative: it has some "spurious" noises in places - they are a little annoying (distracting) for me.From ITVV:The MartinAir Boeing MD-11.......goes from Schiphol (Netherlands) to Palma de Majorca, Spain (and back). Amazingly clear presentation by the Captain, Ruud Baker and his F.O. (F.O.also does a presentation in a Full Motion Simulator.)The procedures are clear, concise, and very interresting - I learned a lot from Capt Baker's presentation. This was my first DVD of this type, and I have enjoyed it over and over.The Boeing 737-300 - by Go Airlines - another terrific DVD by ITVV - Very good Captain and F.O. presentations (Capt John Mahon - F.O. Joe Wholihan). Clear ATC, F.O. is Pilot in Command of return flight. Very detailed explanation of all instruments. Flight goes from London, Stanstead to Lisbon, Portugal. Very enjoyable and informative video.Fokker 100 - British Midland - goes from East Midlands Intl Airport to Nice, France. Good explanations of the different panels on the "little 100" (lots of info!). Good clear ATC, briefings, checklists. FO. is P.I.C. on return flight - which has a CAT III landing - very interesting stuff.Well - that's it! Hope it wasn't too long or boring! I am still adding to my collection of flight DVD's by World Air Routes and ITVV.Thanks for reading!All best,Ray Landolt (Blackbird)

P.S. - Mr. Bradbury - INS navigation is indeed a fascinating topic in its own right - flying by LAT/LON is just a little more cumbersome than using GPS/FMC!! :(

I have just recently bought the AERO PRESENTATION SAS 737-5/6/7/8 DVD (4.1 hrs worth!)Certainly better quality video from the cockpit than some others and where the flights are quite short you usually get the whole flight on there from cockpit prep to shutdown.Also included is a CAT 3 App into Oslo i think.Here is the you tube link I used to assess the quality.

Well worth a look especially if you are familiar with the cockpit layout already.Cheers,Dan.

Is there one out there on the NG that shows a flight from push back to shutdown? (well maybe not the whole flight, but all the important things) Maybe detailed overviews of power up from Cold and Dark, Taxi, FMC programming, takeoff, decent, landing, shutdown?

<--------------->
Mike Murawski

Is there one out there on the NG that shows a flight from push back to shutdown? (well maybe not the whole flight, but all the important things) Maybe detailed overviews of power up from Cold and Dark, Taxi, FMC programming, takeoff, decent, landing, shutdown?
The above SAS DVD does that and more but dont really expect them to do a detailed explanation of the systems.They are more based around operations and the cockpit environment, some quite funny moments too like:Ground - (Rushed) "don't start 1"Captain - "Too late!"I thought it was funny.Dan.

Guest 747-fan

These are great: http://www.flightvideoproductions.comI got every one of these back when I used them to prepare for flight with the F1 Meridian, the F1 PC12, the Aeroworx B200 (the video is of a 350 but the systems look similar) and the Eaglesoft Columbia 400. For some reason, this is my very favorite flight video, about a 737-200 flying to NZQN and AirsideTV graciously uploaded it for free on youtube in three parts. Everything works, the commentary (voiceover, pilots and ATC) the sound, imagery, camera placements (even one below the wing near the wheel well!) and editing. Here's part one:

Those dvd and blu rays from aeropresentation are the best. awesome quality. Hope this company will make more video`s

Kimo

Just Planes Air Atlanta Iceland is my favorite. Not only because they fly with the 747/400 but also have a lovely first officer called Maria. Much like flying in Germany where it can happen quite occasionally that you end up with a "all girl crew". Nothing for anxious minds. Just kidding.:(

i love the Aero 737/500/600/700/800 SAS video, its no fuss hours of cockpit time, they dont go into much detail as they assume you know most of what they are doing. You get to just watch them doing thier job, also there is alot more view of the outside world from the cockpit, a few vidoes dont really show much because there is too much light from the outside but the Aero Video is mostly filmed in winter and sunrise/Sunset/nighttime.Its good because you can clearly see the gauges and the outside view at the same time. And there is a little humor in the mix also.

Hi, Mr. Murawski - the DVD on the MD-11 is quite complete - I will have to rewatch my 737 vids to see if I can recommend one of those. My guess is that most will NOT offer complete procedures, but I'll check again.I will have to check out the Aero Presentaion DVD and Flightvideo productions. I have been very happy, though, with the World Air Routes DVD's that I've purchased. Always interesting to hear about other stuff.Thanks!Ray Landolt

I got the Norvegian 737-800 , SunAir with BAe ATP, BAeJ41 and BAe J31, Really interesting. Alll phases of the flight are well explained.

Real Deraps