Sign in to follow this  
acdelta57

Need help for building new FSX rig

I have been playing fsx on my HP HDX16 laptop for quite some time. I can get about 15-20FPS with addons like Wilco ERJ,737pic, PMDGj41, and QW757. I also use REX and multiple airport sceneries (flytampa and FSDT), however i never fly into jfk or east coast very much just because I know my computer cant handle it.But my laptop has finally come to an end with extreme overheating issues and just cant run FSX anymore with the addons I keep installing. So I have decided to retire my laptop from FSX and and build a new rig. I dont want to cut corners to save a quick buck, I would rather invest in a really good system that can run FSX well and allow me to fly into larger airports like jfk and at least be playable to me. I have been doing some research but there is just so many different options out there I keep backtracking myself and start to question if i even know what im doing. Heres what I have settled on so far. I dont know too much about computer so any advice is GREATLY appreciated. Genuine Windows® 7 Home Premium - 64-bit version - Intel® Core™ i7-930 processor 2.8GHz with Turbo Boost Technology up to 3.06GHz - 12GB DDR3 1333MHz - 1.5TB hard drive - NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX470 Graphics - Intel® X58 - 16X DVD?RW DL - High-definition 7.1 channel audio support - gigabit LAN - HDMI™ - - 2 eSATA - IEEE 1394- 11 USB ports - USB gaming keyboard and optical mouse - 13-in-1 card reader - 1-year limited warrantyThoughts on the above system? please feel free to give any advice

I have been playing fsx on my HP HDX16 laptop for quite some time. I can get about 15-20FPS with addons like Wilco ERJ,737pic, PMDGj41, and QW757. I also use REX and multiple airport sceneries (flytampa and FSDT), however i never fly into jfk or east coast very much just because I know my computer cant handle it.But my laptop has finally come to an end with extreme overheating issues and just cant run FSX anymore with the addons I keep installing. So I have decided to retire my laptop from FSX and and build a new rig. I dont want to cut corners to save a quick buck, I would rather invest in a really good system that can run FSX well and allow me to fly into larger airports like jfk and at least be playable to me. I have been doing some research but there is just so many different options out there I keep backtracking myself and start to question if i even know what im doing. Heres what I have settled on so far. I dont know too much about computer so any advice is GREATLY appreciated. Genuine Windows® 7 Home Premium - 64-bit version - Intel® Core™ i7-930 processor 2.8GHz with Turbo Boost Technology up to 3.06GHz - 12GB DDR3 1333MHz - 1.5TB hard drive - NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX470 Graphics - Intel® X58 - 16X DVD?RW DL - High-definition 7.1 channel audio support - gigabit LAN - HDMI™ - - 2 eSATA - IEEE 1394- 11 USB ports - USB gaming keyboard and optical mouse - 13-in-1 card reader - 1-year limited warrantyThoughts on the above system? please feel free to give any advice
For FSX, I would go with a faster processor and less RAM...Target 4 GHz CPU (overclocked if necessary) and 6 GB RAM.

Bert

hmm thanks for the tip. After some further research I came across a youtube channel rotationFSX. These are the specs he listed outFractal Designs Black Pearl CaseOCZ 700 powerASUS P6X58D-E MotherboardASUS Nvidia 470 GPUIntel core I7 920 - o/c 4ghz6GB Patriot 1600mz RamCorsair H50 Cooler - push/pullHDDx2 WD 500GB blacksdvdrw samsung s2223c24 pin extenders (idk exactly what these are for)what are your guys's thoughts on these specs?Im headed to the store to price out some components today

get a Sandy Bridge system instead.Are you OCing?

I have heard very little about Sandy Bridge, do you know of a website or somewhere I can research this system? Is it a complete rig or just processor? Yes I would like to over clock.1 other thing, today at the electronic store I was able to price out and decide on an Nvidia GTX570 is that a good card for fsx?

Absolutely tons of info right here on this site, on the SB proc. As for the video card, the GTX460 is supposed to be better than the 470 but if you have the money then for sure the 500 cards would be best imho.Regards,

Rick Hobbs

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

Sandy Bridge is a newer generation of CPU's. You'll need a P67 or Z68 motherboardMaybe something like this considering you don't want to cut corners:CPU: I5 2500K or I7 2600KMOBO: P8Z68-V PRO or P8Z68 DELUXERAM: 8 GB of DDR3 1600MHz or higher, CL7 or lower. If you want to get 8GB of the fastest RAM, it will be easier to get 4x2GB (four sticks of 2GB) instead of 2x4GB (two sticks of 4GB)GPU: GTX570 or GTX580PSU: - Corsair TX750, - Corsair TX850, - Corsair HX750, - Corsair HX850, - Corsair AX750, - Corsair AX850, - Seasonic X750 - Seasonic X850COOLING: Noctua NH-D14, Thermalright Silver Arrow, Prolimatech Megahalems or Megashadow, Corsair H70. Make sure your RAM is compatible with the cooling solution you pick. The H70 will not be a problem, but high profile RAM sticks may not fit under the NH-D14 or the Silver Arrow. They are HUGE coolers!CASE: there are many options. Cooler Master HAF 932, Corsair, Lian Li, Silverstone... If you need to buy in a particular store, post the link please

In case you are wondering the Nochua has a ram clearance of 42mm. The ram I purchased was 40mm. I see the website now says the clearance is 38mm but my ram fits.You may want to consider a MB that lets you install ram in slot #2 and #4 and go with 2 sticks. This way the ram is not trapped under the metal part of the cooler and only under the fan so you can easily remove it if needed without having to take off the heat sink.Mark.

Mark W   CYYZ      

My Simhttps://goo.gl/photos/oic45LSoaHKEgU8E9

My Concorde Tutorial Videos available here:  https://www.youtube.com/user/UPS1000

Great thank you so much for the info! Im going to take ur info and locate the parts today. 1 last question whats the your opinion on the P67 vs Z68 mobos? keeping FSx strictly in mind.Thanks again for everyone help! With all ur wonderful knowledge I will have a knew rig built by this weekend!