Sign in to follow this  
el_kab0ng

Redirected away from airport..

I've had on at least a couple of occasions missed my descent altitude marks (be at certain alt within 30 miles or less.. blah blah blah) due to one reason or another. Generally when this happens, RC redirects me away from the airport, sometimes 60+ miles away and never seems to recover or vector me back to the airport. What's the deal with this? Is there any rhyme or reason why I would be vectored so far away due to missed altitude?

You won't get vectored back until you are at the crossing restriction altitude. Make sure you understand about flight levels, altitude in feet, and transition altitudes especially when to use the flight level standard altimeter reference (29.92 in/1013 mb) or surface pressure as announced by ATC. If RC states your crossing restriction in feet use local pressure and if announced as a flight level use standard pressure with the FL level multiplied by 100 for your altimeter reading in feet.

I've had on at least a couple of occasions missed my descent altitude marks (be at certain alt within 30 miles or less.. blah blah blah) due to one reason or another. Generally when this happens, RC redirects me away from the airport, sometimes 60+ miles away and never seems to recover or vector me back to the airport. What's the deal with this? Is there any rhyme or reason why I would be vectored so far away due to missed altitude?

that "blah blah blah" is more important than you might think. there is a reason for the crossing restriction. and there is a penalty both in real life and in rc.i bet you are hitting the "B" key to set your altimter to local pressure?what was your crossing restriction? 11,000 or FL110? huge difference. set local pressure for 11,000, set standard pressure for FL110jd