Sign in to follow this  
Chris F.

Near Miss at JFK...

I realy wonder how that could have happen at all! Every modern airliner a/c has a TCAS with TA monitoring, as well as the tower tells the pilots which taxiways to take. And the pilots have to have the airport charts at hand and to know every second where they are taxiing. On the other side, tower has a ground radar to know every second where which a/c is taxiing, so if one is approaching a active runway, a alarm should go off, because the tower controllers cannot whatch every a/c all the time while they are taxiing around.If a foreing pilot does not know exactly how to get from A to B at a airport, he can ask the tower for guidance. In such a case someone is watching closely this aircraft and giving detailed instructions. Am I right?But I know many eastern country pilots/crews do not like to ask for help. They think it would be a unhonorable thing to ask. So it can happen that they get lost and make such faults.So, the FAA is at the case... I would love to know what they will find out and who is responceable.

As far as I know, yout turn the TCAS off when you are on the ground. Only prior to Take Off you turn it back on. Otherwise you would get many alerts while taxiing.Correct me if I'm wrong.

You would think that when an aircraft on a runway is cleared for a take off or an aircraft is within 30 seconds of touchdown that all taxiways attached to that runway would at the least simply have an automatic or controller controlled traffic light system to prevent taxing aircraft entering the runway enviroment when not cleared to do so - duh, am no aviation expert but you would think some kind of technology could support a pilots decision to enter/cross a runway - Big RED Lights means don't go out there bloody great jet coming your way, Big GREEN Lights mean okay dokey folks safe to cross thanks for following the green cross code - seems to work for children, well most of the time.Roger McNeillEGPF Scotland

How many people actually heard this recording and remembers it? I sure do!Aerogal 700 (a B767) was cleared to land 13L but instead was lining up for 13R where a jetBlue plane was starting to take off. I'm sure everyone is familiar with the Canarsie approach for RWY 13L. Delta 122 was the one who noticed and alerted tower. Listen to the whole clip.

Chris Ferguson

PC Specs(Rebuilt 1/11/19): i7-9700K - Non-OC'd, EVGA RTX 2080ti, G.Skillz 16GB Ram 3000mhz, EVGA SuperNOVA 1000w PSU, Cooler Master ML360R, ASRock Phantom Gaming 4 MoBo, 2x 2TB HDD, 1x 1TB Samsung EVO SSD, 1x 220GB WD SSD

I can't believe the bigotry in the comments to the article there. Those retards implying it was an attempted terrorist attack and all. So sad there's people like that.

Who is sooo foolish thinking it could be some kind of a terror act? Just a EA did not know where he was taxiing and a controller who was very good to see and warn the accellerating Lufthansa bird. These faults are happening and already happened all over the world very many times, often the nomal public will not get any details about it. Is it that foreign pilots do not understand english good enough or cannot read the airport charts, because they have had not enough rest/sleep?

Any video of this incident by any chance?

Jeff

Commercial | Instrument | Multi-Engine Land

AMD 5600X, RTX3070, 32MB RAM, 2TB SSD

As far as I know, yout turn the TCAS off when you are on the ground. Only prior to Take Off you turn it back on. Otherwise you would get many alerts while taxiing.Correct me if I'm wrong.
You are wrong. They have a ground radar on KJFK, like they have on pretty much every big airport, at least in the US

You are wrong. They have a ground radar on KJFK, like they have on pretty much every big airport, at least in the US
He is right, he said TCAS, not ground radar.

Jeff

Commercial | Instrument | Multi-Engine Land

AMD 5600X, RTX3070, 32MB RAM, 2TB SSD

I can't believe the bigotry in the comments to the article there. Those retards implying it was an attempted terrorist attack and all. So sad there's people like that.
Yeah, pretty ridiculous, and they even brought Obama into it. Can't believe people still hate him so much.But aside from that, was it really a near miss? I would call it a near crash. Just an expression I know, but weird nonetheless.

He is right, he said TCAS, not ground radar.
JFK has ground radar. TCAS is not used on the ground.

Kenny Lee
"Keep climbing"
pmdg_trijet.jpg

Ah okay, I for some reason thought mode C implied TCAS. Learning new stuff every day :)

So, the pilots do not know about other aircrafts they cannot see. Either they follow exactly the orders of the controllers taxiing or take chances to turn wrong, and then when the controllers are overworked and stressed, they even notice it very late at the ground radar.Well, I think about an iPAD app that is connected to the a/c radar and GPS and recieves transmitter IDs via Internet UMTS 3G where which AC is with heading and speed. As well it all works with google maps and the pilot can enter the taxiway instructions and getting a path to follow as well as warnings if other a/cs are too close. Hope you get my idea...

So, the pilots do not know about other aircrafts they cannot see. Either they follow exactly the orders of the controllers taxiing or take chances to turn wrong, and then when the controllers are overworked and stressed, they even notice it very late at the ground radar.Well, I think about an iPAD app that is connected to the a/c radar and GPS and recieves transmitter IDs via Internet UMTS 3G where which AC is with heading and speed. As well it all works with google maps and the pilot can enter the taxiway instructions and getting a path to follow as well as warnings if other a/cs are too close. Hope you get my idea...
I would definitely say yes to an app to navigate airports airports unfamiliar to the pilots or in just navigating period.

Kenny Lee
"Keep climbing"
pmdg_trijet.jpg

You would think that when an aircraft on a runway is cleared for a take off or an aircraft is within 30 seconds of touchdown that all taxiways attached to that runway would at the least simply have an automatic or controller controlled traffic light system to prevent taxing aircraft entering the runway enviroment when not cleared to do so - duh, am no aviation expert but you would think some kind of technology could support a pilots decision to enter/cross a runway - Big RED Lights means don't go out there bloody great jet coming your way, Big GREEN Lights mean okay dokey folks safe to cross thanks for following the green cross code - seems to work for children, well most of the time.Roger McNeillEGPF Scotland
Actually some airports do have lights similar to what you described. They are called RWSL lights, but I don't think there are any at JFK yet.