Sign in to follow this  
Efussander

Fraps

Help!PMDG, in your YouTube videos, the quality is great, and the resolution remains at 1080, or some cases 720. I am interested in doing some really well done FSX videos, but I'm having some problems with Fraps. First of all, the AVI files from Fraps are huge (as would be expected), but which program and codec do you use to compress the videos without losing the quality or resolution. I have tried several programs and codecs, but the file usually still comes out huge, and the graphics are jaggy. Keep in mind that I'm a complete noob when it comes to video creation, and this is my first endeavor. Input?

Ethan,I used Handbrake to compress some of the videos we've put up. (uses the H.264 compression codec) HD video files are big though, there's no real way around it - you have to find the right balance on the compression setting so that it cuts the file size down somewhat but doesn't make the file look so blocky and artifacted that it defeats the purpose.

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

I'm using this too! handbrake 0.9.5 versionVery helpfull to make compress videos and encode to other files

Let me ask you this: Can handbrake take a file that was 1920x1080 and keep the quality, but make the window size of the video smaller? ie, if I have a 1920x1080 AVI, can I make it 800x600 without it becoming blurry?

Let me ask you this: Can handbrake take a file that was 1920x1080 and keep the quality, but make the window size of the video smaller? ie, if I have a 1920x1080 AVI, can I make it 800x600 without it becoming blurry?
Maybe some people know about this already but you can render video directly from fsx using this : FS Recorder Experimental video renderingAnd you don't lose any frames at all :)Thanks to them for that nice tool!

Couple things here:1. 1920x1080 is a 19:9 aspect ratio and 800x600 is a 4:3 - you'd necessarily distort the image if you did that.2. Handbrake can reduce the size of the video, but it really doesn't make sense to talk about "keeping the quality" - if you're reducing the resolution you're necessarily losing quality. If you can record at 1080p, I'd just leave it at that, YouTube will automatically handle converting it to lower resolution versions too when you upload.

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

Thanks Devinci! I use FS Recorder already, so I definitely want to check this out!Thanks Ryan....Clearly I don't know anything about AV. :(