Sign in to follow this  
xXArch_AngelXx

Should MS Flight have 2D cockpits?

195 members have voted

1. 1. Do you use the 2D cockpit frequently? And why?

• No, because its not so nice to look at
    • No, because I don't need to use it
    • Yes, because the 2D cockpit is easier to use
    • Yes, because the 2D cockpit is more FPS friendly
    • Yes, because the 2D may have more click-able items
    • Other (please explain below)
    • What the fruit is a 2D cockpit??
    • Where's my bag of potato's gone?

I was just wondering If Flight might stop using the 2D cockpit feature? I know its extremely unlikely, but who knows! I'd love to hear your opinions on the matter! :) Jamie ♥

I voted for options 6 and 8. (yes, 8. Big%20Grin.gif)I, personally find the 2D panels very useful. Especially for something like the FSX Dodosim Bell 206, which has a real start up system. Having the 2D panels makes start up easier in some ways. It's a way of seeing the specific panel you want without everything else being there. I just like having them. I do like VCs very much and never fully fly from the 2D panel view, but it's just useful to have for some, including me. I'd like this feature to remain in Flight.And I would like my bag of potatoes back. Please....right now, if at all possible? :(

Brandon Filer

I was just wondering If Flight might stop using the 2D cockpit feature? I know its extremely unlikely, but who knows! I'd love to hear your opinions on the matter! :) Jamie ♥
They better not remove them. I use VC for flying but when I need like an overhead panel I ALWAYS go to the 2D version.... Also +1 for the poll. :(
I voted for options 6 and 8. (yes, 8. Big%20Grin.gif)I, personally find the 2D panels very useful. Especially for something like the FSX Dodosim Bell 206, which has a real start up system. Having the 2D panels makes start up easier in some ways. It's a way of seeing the specific panel you want without everything else being there. I just like having them. I do like VCs very much and never fully fly from the 2D panel view, but it's just useful to have for some, including me. I'd like this feature to remain in Flight.And I would like my bag of potatoes back. Please....right now, if at all possible? :(
Very much agree, on complex addons it's essential..

I use TrackIR and only use 2D for a function that is not available in VC. However, I do like the 2D pop-ups that are accessible in the VC via a click spot, such as those in the F1 Mustang.

I don't use 2D panels these days. The virtual cockpits in my payware planes are of exceptional quality, and I prefer to be able to look in any direction at will. It just feels more realistic to me.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

2D panels are simply awful and should of been killed off years ago! Look like something from the dark ages, why would you want soemthing ugly and 2D in a beautiful 3D environment? If you want to see the overhead get TRACKiR or EZCA which works brilliantly.

2D panels are simply awful and should of been killed off years ago! Look like something from the dark ages, why would you want soemthing ugly and 2D in a beautiful 3D environment? If you want to see the overhead get TRACKiR or EZCA which works brilliantly.
I was alive in the dark ages . I wish we had these 2D cockpits .. heck, I wish we had computers, electricity, and planes then.

Nooo! Not my 2D cockpit!! My precioussss...

Not to worry as they are not going anywhere.

Not to worry as they are not going anywhere.
Do you have proof of that?

Brandon Filer

If FLIGHT doesn't offer or have the capability for 2D panels, then it could not be used in a certifiable Flight Training Device, where virtual panning & zooming is not permitted. (Any gauges, instruments, switches displayed must always be in the same physical location in a FTD display.)Hopefully, MS sees Flight as a potential successor to Prepare3D. AR

First, they should keep 2D popup panels. Those are still very useful. But for full 2D panels? It depends. I personally dont even expect that I will fly the defaults, so it does not really matter to me. But in general the question of 2D panels I think depends on the quality of the VC. The VC in the FSX defaults arent that great and require 2D panels for critical phases of flight (in my opinion). The 3D VC just were not clear enough. High quality 3D cockpits make 2D panels unnecessary (think captain sim quality). So basically, it depends on what quality of VC is being made.

Daniel Miller

First, they should keep 2D popup panels. Those are still very useful. But for full 2D panels? It depends. I personally dont even expect that I will fly the defaults, so it does not really matter to me. But in general the question of 2D panels I think depends on the quality of the VC. The VC in the FSX defaults arent that great and require 2D panels for critical phases of flight (in my opinion). The 3D VC just were not clear enough. High quality 3D cockpits make 2D panels unnecessary (think captain sim quality). So basically, it depends on what quality of VC is being made.
At the risk of offending those who have seen this pic before- here is why 2D panels and multiple views are needed.No panning necessary- the 150º view is ALWAYS in front of the pilot and the panel components are ALWAYS in the exact same location.What is really needed is for panel designers to come up with better 2D panels that take advantage of the visual width potential of multiple, large monitors. Virtual is an old and passe' scheme to get around the display limitations of single small monitors of a dozen years ago AR

At the risk of offending those who have seen this pic before- here is why 2D panels and multiple views are needed.No panning necessary- the 150º view is ALWAYS in front of the pilot and the panel components are ALWAYS in the exact same location.What is really needed is for panel designers to come up with better 2D panels that take advantage of the visual width potential of multiple, large monitors. Virtual is an old and passe' scheme to get around the display limitations of single small monitors of a dozen years ago AR
Why would anyone be offended because they saw a picture twice?

Virtual is an old and passe' scheme to get around the display limitations of single small monitors of a dozen years ago
HelloHave you even sat down and used a good headtracking system on a modern PC system ?Like it or not the 2D panel is fast becoming a thing of the past and once you have become accustomed to the freedom of view that headtracking gives in a good VC you would realise why.A fixed 150 degree view without moving your head is not realistic at all, try driving your car without turning your head.Imagine the field of view that you have available with TrackIr and a good 37-42 inch 1080p screen and you dont need to move your head more than a centimetre or two to easily exceed that 150 degree fixed 2D view and no bezels in the way either.Each to there own though, no harm in continuing to include the 2D panels for those who like them.

Sign in to follow this  
  • Tom Allensworth,
    Founder of AVSIM Online

• Flight Simulation's Premier Resource!

AVSIM is a free service to the flight simulation community. AVSIM is staffed completely by volunteers and all funds donated to AVSIM go directly back to supporting the community. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. Thank you for your support!

Click here for more information and to see all donations year to date.