Sign in to follow this  
bliksimpie

Panel popups and view changes

Someone asked the question how to make the panel popup stay in FSX even when switching views. Unfortuanately I cannot find the post this morning.I add a line to panel entry as example below that contain line type=SPECIAL:[Window04]size_mm=1000,100position=0BACKGROUND_COLOR=0,0,0VISIBLE=1ident=10022type=SPECIALWith this line added the panel popup stay locked even if i change views.

Someone asked the question how to make the panel popup stay in FSX even when switching views. Unfortuanately I cannot find the post this morning.I add a line to panel entry as example below that contain line type=SPECIAL:[Window04]size_mm=1000,100position=0BACKGROUND_COLOR=0,0,0VISIBLE=1ident=10022type=SPECIALWith this line added the panel popup stay locked even if i change views.
Great tip - It also works in FS2004 too.Thanks for sharing! EDIT Added:I thought so much of the tip that I posted it in the Tips and Tricks forum also - hope you don't mind.

Great tip - It also works in FS2004 too.Thanks for sharing! EDIT Added:I thought so much of the tip that I posted it in the Tips and Tricks forum also - hope you don't mind.
not a problem.. stumbled onto this one a while ago..I for one searched very long to get this right, so I am sure there are other that also would like this tip.

Hello fellows,Great tip -From what I understand, you are to add this "window" as an "additional" window entry to you panel.cfg?Example: C172 - has 5 window entries already. I "add" this new window as 6 -I make an entry in the top of config under windows - AS - Window 6=Special?Am I correct?Thanks so very much.cthiggin

Hello fellows,Great tip -From what I understand, you are to add this "window" as an "additional" window entry to you panel.cfg?Example: C172 - has 5 window entries already. I "add" this new window as 6 -I make an entry in the top of config under windows - AS - Window 6=Special?Am I correct?Thanks so very much.cthiggin
No, you just add the line to any existing entries you wish to work that way - example:[Window05] //Digital Compass optionsize_mm=101,103background_color=0,0,0position=2visible=0ident=COMPASS_PANELtype=special gauge00=mag_compass!compass_popup_A,6,6,95,97In this example I am using a replacement compass which has a digital display added.http://library.avsim...gau&DLID=154834Hope that helps clarify the useage,

That must be a holdover from a very distant ancestor, as there is nothing documented for this entry in any SDK from FS98 onward... :( Makes me wonder what would have led anyone into "guessing" that it would work? :(

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

That must be a holdover from a very distant ancestor, as there is nothing documented for this entry in any SDK from FS98 onward... :( Makes me wonder what would have led anyone into "guessing" that it would work? :(
You are right sir. I have read everything in the SDK documentation and believe me when I say I went through it with a fine comb, and could not find anything on this subject. It drove me completely nuts to have popup panels dissapear when switching views.. Been searching this thing for more then 2 years..Well at least now it work and I think there will be a number of people who would enjoy this ability to have a popups "stuck"Unfortunately I cannot give credit to who figured it out as I really cannot remember where I saw this line in a panel.cfg file the first time. I once saw a panel stay stuck, when switching views, and on further investigation I found this entry. As this has been found a couple of months ago already, and all my planes have this line added somewhere in the mean time, it is just impossible to now go back and say it was here or here that I saw it first. I never thought much about this otherwise I would have shared it long ago.Saw post of someone asking for this, and maybe it was not even on this site, but I could not find the post this morning so I thought I will just post answer and hope the guy see it who asked for this.Well I must say I have had a good time with it last couple of months. :(

I have been looking for a way to do this for months! I can't wait to try it!Thanks!!

Hi,From the fs9 SDK, window section:type = Specifies the type of the panel window. Valid entries are PANEL for aircraft panels, MINIPANEL for gauge windows shown in the “minipanel” mode, or SPECIAL for pseudo panel windows.Jan

This information is much appreciated! Thanks!I wonder, is there anything along these lines that can cause a popup window, or 'psuedo panel window', as it were, to open itself when the aircraft is first loaded? :)decessus est bliss

This information is much appreciated! Thanks!I wonder, is there anything along these lines that can cause a popup window, or 'psuedo panel window', as it were, to open itself when the aircraft is first loaded? :)decessus est bliss
Try this:In each "window" in the panel.cfg file there should be a line which says - visible=0Change it to read visible=1 (1 meaning yes - 0 (zero) meaning no)The window in question should then be visible when you load the aircraft.Hope that is what you were referring to.

Try this:In each "window" in the panel.cfg file there should be a line which says - visible=0Change it to read visible=1 (1 meaning yes - 0 (zero) meaning no)The window in question should then be visible when you load the aircraft.Hope that is what you were referring to.
Hi Opa,Yes, that is what I wanted to achieve, but my experimenting with visible= today has shown me that it doesn't seem to do anything at all no matter which way it is set. I read on some post somewhere that the visible= command was meant only for the "Main_Panel" window, and I never use 2D, so that might be why it isn't working for me. The windows I would like to have open are the kind I access by pressing, for example, Shift+5, and are thus overlaid on either the virtual cockpit or external view. I don't like the 2D panels for several reasons.

Unfortunately, visible=1 only works if you load the a/c to the 2d panel.If you want the subpanel to open automatically, simply script a tiny, invisible XML gauge to open it, and place a copy in both the [VCockpit01] section and the [Window00] section of the panel.cfg file.

<Gauge Name="AutoOpen" Version="1.0">  <Image Name="Transparent.bmp" />  <Update Hidden="Yes">    (L:Init,bool) 0 ==    if{      10040 (>K:PANEL_ID_TOGGLE)      1 (>L:Init,bool)    }  </Update></Gauge>

Transparent.bmp is simply a tiny 64x64 pixel bitmap with pure black (0,0,0) for the color.Substitute whatever number you've chosen for the ident= in the panel.cfg file.

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Unfortunately, visible=1 only works if you load the a/c to the 2d panel.If you want the subpanel to open automatically, simply script a tiny, invisible XML gauge to open it, and place a copy in both the [VCockpit01] section and the [Window00] section of the panel.cfg file.
<Gauge Name="AutoOpen" Version="1.0">  <Image Name="Transparent.bmp" />  <Update Hidden="Yes">    (L:Init,bool) 0 ==    if{      10040 (>K:PANEL_ID_TOGGLE)      1 (>L:Init,bool)    }  </Update></Gauge>

Transparent.bmp is simply a tiny 64x64 pixel bitmap with pure black (0,0,0) for the color.Substitute whatever number you've chosen for the ident= in the panel.cfg file.

This looks like something I can do, but I have never made a gauge before. Can I simply put this code you wrote INTO the panel.cfg file in those 2 places? I have edited a lot of panel.cfg files, but never seen such code before, so I want to make sure I know what to do. You said substitute the ident=, but I don't see "ident=" in your code, so where would I put the substituted number from the panel.cfg's ident= statement in the gauge window? Do I just add that into your code?