Sign in to follow this  
bmarcoux2

KSFO 28L Hold

Have noticed every flight from KRNO to KSFO I get a hold. Looking at the charts for rwy 28L I see that it is standard approach to have a 1min leg hold. My question is that I fly the IFLY 737 and can program the hold correctly in the FMC. Is there a way to have RC let me fly the hold vs it giveing me vectors every couple min in some square pattern. ThanksBrad

Have noticed every flight from KRNO to KSFO I get a hold. Looking at the charts for rwy 28L I see that it is standard approach to have a 1min leg hold. My question is that I fly the IFLY 737 and can program the hold correctly in the FMC. Is there a way to have RC let me fly the hold vs it giveing me vectors every couple min in some square pattern. ThanksBrad
the holds are going to be outside of approach airspace. there are no holds inside approach.if you want to fly a pattern, then you must have the comms when you are told you're being held. you have to have a vor within 4 miles of the airport.jd

I have attached the 28L approach chart so others can follow.The holding point DUMBA is about 16 nm out from the threshold that may be just around RC's intercept point. Now Frisco requires vectors to the IAF from the appropriate STAR. That lets out using really an IAP RC approach close in since you need the vectors. I suggest preflight you use the NOTAMS procedure option on the RC Controller page that allows deviation without penalty or complaining from RC ATC.Once you are cleared for the intercept anyway to fly the published procedure you can do just that. Have the ILS up on your navigation display from your navigation terminal procedure database while using your MCP/AP heading and altitude controls to alter if needed the intercept angle and altitude to DUMBA and perform the hold as required. When cleared for an approach that means to follow the published procedure anyway which includes that hold. If your navigation procedure includes that hold you can opt to follow that with a coupled AP approach and the RC NOTAMs option will let you follow the headings, holds, and altitude requirements of the published and stored procedure.