Sign in to follow this  
RPRIEVER

Altitude constraint question

Greetings all,Question about adding altitude constraints, specifically an at/below combined with at/above. As an example, on the KLAX "SEAVU2" arrival it says to cross SEAVU at/above 12000, at/below 14000. On the FMS "Vert Rev" page, I can add the at/above OR the at/below, but not both. The problem is that adding one deletes the other. How do I program this constraint into the FMS? Many thanks.

HiWhat I would do is enter 13000 into the ALT:AT box. for that waypoint. That way you will be between 12000 and 14000.RegardsNickNixon Thomas

Greetings all,Question about adding altitude constraints, specifically an at/below combined with at/above. As an example, on the KLAX "SEAVU2" arrival it says to cross SEAVU at/above 12000, at/below 14000. On the FMS "Vert Rev" page, I can add the at/above OR the at/below, but not both. The problem is that adding one deletes the other. How do I program this constraint into the FMS? Many thanks.
Ron, I believe that this is not a supported constraint in the MD11. Look out for it in the NGX though. ;)

Mark Adeane - NZWN
Boeing777_Banner_BetaTeam.jpg

5 seconds searching the FMS guide for "at or below" came up with FMS.30.3It answers your questions.

5 seconds searching the FMS guide for "at or below" came up with FMS.30.3It answers your questions.
that section states that there can only be one speed/altitude restriction. as good as this airplane is modeled i could imagine that it's the same in the actual airplane.

Denis Kosbeck

KPHX

that section states that there can only be one speed/altitude restriction. as good as this airplane is modeled i could imagine that it's the same in the actual airplane.
Huh? There can only be one speed and/or altitude restriction per waypoint, which is pretty obvious if you think about it.

I would solve this with putting the below restriction into the FMS and dialing altitude 12000 into the FCP - so you can be sure that you wouldn't descend lower than 12000 until setting a lower altitude into the FCP after SEAVU. Although of course I guess one wouldn't do this work-around in real life? Talking%20Ear%20Off.gif

Huh? There can only be one speed and/or altitude restriction per waypoint, which is pretty obvious if you think about it.
Not so obvious really - you'll see hard above and below constraints on waypoints in numerous STARS. LAX has some great examples.DJ

Not so obvious really - you'll see hard above and below constraints on waypoints in numerous STARS. LAX has some great examples.DJ
Fair point.I was thinking of the opposite situation where the pilot wanted to try something silly such as above FL140 and below FL120 at the same time. Has anybody tried the syntax /+FL120-FL140 in the vertical revision box? I wouldn't expect it to work but it is worth a try.

Fair point.I was thinking of the opposite situation where the pilot wanted to try something silly such as above FL140 and below FL120 at the same time. Has anybody tried the syntax /+FL120-FL140 in the vertical revision box? I wouldn't expect it to work but it is worth a try.
I think it's valid to say 'Well, pick an altitude between...' but I wonder if the FMC isn't capable of programming between constraints? I haven't tried the syntax you mention - it would be interesting to see what happens.DJ