Sign in to follow this  
mark22

Adding realistic landmarks

After doing a complete re-install of FS9 recently and slowly getting back on track of installing my various add-ons, because I live in England I want to download some free scenery objects from the AVSIM library. Now, before I did my re-install I used to have VFR Photographic scenery installed and there use to be many add-ons for that, namely agn files that I could put in the various folders for each part of the UK. A lot of these add-ons were from a great website which no longer exists called VFR Add-ons. Now because I have decided not to re-install VFR Photographic scenery and have opted for a more frame rate friendly scenery, I am after putting some scenery objects such as trees, famous landmarks etc dotted around the UK, mainly in the east of England which is where I live (Suffolk). As I recall though, a lot of these scenery objects that I found on various websites including AVSIM, were for VFR Photographic scenery and I am having problems findling non-VFR objects to download. I seem to remember a while ago from the AVSIM website various add-ons like 'Suffolk landmarks' etc which included the Orwell Bridge and the docks at Felixstowe. I cannot find these add-ons anymore, maybe I have not been looking in the right place. Even so, if I were to find these again would they be suitable to install in non-vfr scenery?The bottom line is this, does anybody know where I can download scenery objects as mentioned that is suitable for NON-VFR scenery? Any links would be really appreciated thanks.

Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit. Packard Bell imedia S3210. AMD Athlon II X 3 425 Processor 2.70 GHz. 3 GB RAM. External hard drive 1TB. FS9.1, Ground Environment, Ultimate Terrain Europe, REX, Zinertek's Ultimate Water Advanced & Ultimate Night Environment 2010, WOAI, MAIW, AES, ODG Project.

i dont know if this will help you but it may be a starting point.http://www.freewarescenery.com/fs2004/uk.html

Thanks for that link, although I have been onto that website before. I may be wrong but I have a feeling that most of those are for VFR scenery which I do not have installed, I could have sworn though that there was another website similar to that link with lots of add-ons for non-vfr scenery but maybe I am imagining it!Going back to what I said earlier regarding a file scenery called 'Suffolk landmarks', I am sure I downloaded that along with many others years ago from the AVSIM library but when I do a search it comes up with nothing. Maybe it was due to when the library got hacked some downloads do not show anymore, I don't know. I would be interested to know where other people get their free downloads from for Suffolk and the surrounding areas. Thanks

Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit. Packard Bell imedia S3210. AMD Athlon II X 3 425 Processor 2.70 GHz. 3 GB RAM. External hard drive 1TB. FS9.1, Ground Environment, Ultimate Terrain Europe, REX, Zinertek's Ultimate Water Advanced & Ultimate Night Environment 2010, WOAI, MAIW, AES, ODG Project.

Sorry to dig up this topic again but this is something that I could do with some help on please, not had much time on FS9 recently hence the question. Yes the website that Dave Perry mentioned was indeed one of the main ones where I could add many UK scenery add-ons such as UK Ports, UK Fuel storage tanks , Pylons etc etc which is great. However, when for example I installed UK Ports, added the scenery and started FS9 up again I noticed that the scenery did not match correctly with the textures I have already, ie the ships and cranes were actually either on the land or in the wrong positions completely. I am wondering if this scenery can only be used with VFR Photographic scenery which I do not currently have installed but I did used to before I did a clean install but decided to install Ground Textures Plus instead as I found that VFR Photographic scenery took too long to load up and I just fancied a change of textures.So if these add-ons's are only suitable for VFR Photographic scenery, can they somehow be adjusted to fit in with my scenery or am I just trying to have my cake and eat it?!I don't know if I should re-install VFR Photographic scenery again to see of that works or would it mess the textures up by have 2 different programmes installed????

It's probably that the landmarks were positioned over a photoscenery and are highly accurate, but the default land/water masks, etc are not. Ultimate Terrain replaces those land/water masks with accurate ones and would likely fix the problem and still allow you to use your non-photo ground textures (providing there's UT coverage for the area in question of course).EDIT: The VFR scenery should install as it's own scenery layer much like an airport scenery. There should be no overwriting of textures. When the VFR scenery is active it will just display overtop of the generic textures you're using now. Disabling the VFR scenery in the scenery library should return you to what you're seeing now without problems.With regard to repositioning things, that'd take a lot of work. There's no global solution, each object would have to be repositioned individually.Jim