Sign in to follow this  
Benjamin J

Does my Singapore look okay?

I just noticed you guys run some really blue looking water there, almost like Cancun.I just compared and mine looks like this.

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

I just noticed you guys run some really blue looking water there, almost like Cancun.I just compared and mine looks like this.
I'd love that color, but have no idea how to make it. REX isn't really intuitive when it comes to water color... Could you perhaps give some advice on how to make nice water colors? For FS2004 I had Zinertek's Ultimate Water Advanced and that water color is probably the most realistic I have ever seen. Alas, there is no FSX version of that product.

Benjamin van Soldt

Windows 10 64bit - i5-8600k @ 4.7GHz - ASRock Fatality K6 Z370 - EVGA GTX1070 SC 8GB VRAM - 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX @ 3200MHz - Samsung 960 Evo SSD M.2 NVMe 500GB - 2x Samsung 860 Evo SSD 1TB (P3Dv4/5 drive) - Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200RPM - Seasonic FocusPlus Gold 750W - Noctua DH-15S - Fractal Design Focus G (White) Case

I'd love that color, but have no idea how to make it. REX isn't really intuitive when it comes to water color... Could you perhaps give some advice on how to make nice water colors? For FS2004 I had Zinertek's Ultimate Water Advanced and that water color is probably the most realistic I have ever seen. Alas, there is no FSX version of that product.
Very simple actually. Just go into the REX UI and into the Theme Creation/Tropical water window. Then in the drop down select a base theme that you want and use the sliders on the right to adjust the plankton, saturation, brightness, and contrast. Once you get a color you like a window will popup letting you save it as a name you want, then once back into the main Theme Creation screen you install it.More info can be found on page 29 thru 33 in the instruction manual that comes with REX.Word of caution though, before you experiment I would recommend you UNCHECK all your options in the Options Tab except for the Tropical Water one. Otherwise when you press install it will spend a lot of time redoing your clouds, sky, and all the other stuff. Just doing the tropical water will take REX about 5 minutes to complete.I've found it best to use a tropical water texture that isn't so "fantastic" looking and sticks out like a sore thumb. In other areas I have used SBuilderX to make better water class assignment that way the sim doesn't call for such bright water where there shouldn't be.

I actually thought you were referencing the ocean water color. I don't really like that it's so blue, and I would rather have it a bit of grey/blue hue, like Zinertek's Ultimate Water Advanced did. However, I have found no good way to replicate it.

Benjamin van Soldt

Windows 10 64bit - i5-8600k @ 4.7GHz - ASRock Fatality K6 Z370 - EVGA GTX1070 SC 8GB VRAM - 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX @ 3200MHz - Samsung 960 Evo SSD M.2 NVMe 500GB - 2x Samsung 860 Evo SSD 1TB (P3Dv4/5 drive) - Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200RPM - Seasonic FocusPlus Gold 750W - Noctua DH-15S - Fractal Design Focus G (White) Case

I actually thought you were referencing the ocean water color. I don't really like that it's so blue, and I would rather have it a bit of grey/blue hue, like Zinertek's Ultimate Water Advanced did. However, I have found no good way to replicate it.
I was referening to the water color.You said "I'd love that color, but have no idea how to make it. REX isn't really intuitive when it comes to water color... Could you perhaps give some advice on how to make nice water colors?"And as a response I told you how I made it?In the case of that area, FSX's waterclass is calling for the tropical water textures and I explained how to make the water look like it does in my screen shot. Unless you want to actually place new water class files yourself, the easiest thing to do is fix the tropical water textures that that water class calls for and you will get a global improvement rather than just an isolated improvement that you get from changing the water class files for a specific area.Once you understand how FSX decides to call each water texture, then you can go about changing the textures to colors that you prefer for that type of class.

I'm sorry, maybe I didn't make myself clear enough. You are talking about the tropical water color. I was talking about the ocean water color. I changed my tropical water colors per your instructions, so thanks for that, but it's mainly the ocean water colors that I wanted to change to a grey/blue hue. And it's also the ocean water color that I think was so very realistic in Zinertek's Ultimate Water Advanced. Sadly, REX only provides us with one base ocean water color for us to fiddle with ("Ocean Blue" it's called, if I'm not mistaken). It's this color that I don't like very much and would have liked to see being more grey.

Benjamin van Soldt

You should be able to do it. REX allows you to customized the colors. Just use the sliders and experiment.Save time by only installing the appropriate textures.

A pilot is always learning and I LOVE to learn.

I don't know how you guys can live with scenery that looks that bad.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

I don't know how you guys can live with scenery that looks that bad.
With all due respect, but why do you think we invest in third party sceneries...?!

Benjamin van Soldt