Just finished my new SB build and have a question. When checking my temps at stock frequency and HT dissabled, i am getting idle temps on cores 0, 1 & 3 at 26-32c and on core 2 i am getting 36-37c. I have run both 'CPUID MONITOR' & 'REALTEMP' and as near as darn it, they are identical with the temps. Is this normal or should i be worried?i7-2600k/P8P67PRO/GSKILL-1600 CL8D - 8G(2X4)/NH-D14 clg.

Rick Hobbs

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

What are your load temps like while running prime95 blend? While at idle, all my temps are within a couple C of each other. At load, my Core 0 is about 8C lower than the other three. Perfectly normal for Sandy Bridge.

Corey Meeks

Flight Simulator - FS2020 | CPU - AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | Video Card - Sapphire RX 5700 XT Main Board - ASUS ROG Strix X570-I mini-ITX | RAM - G.SKILL Trident Z Neo 2x16Gb DDR4 3600Mhz CL16 | Monitor - DELL 38" U3818DW (3840x1600) | Case - Cooler Master NR200 | CPU Cooling - Noctua NH-U12A | Power Supply - Corsair SF750 | 6x Phanteks T30 120x30mm Fans

Download: FSXMark11 Benchmark and post results here

What are your load temps like while running prime95 blend? While at idle, all my temps are within a couple C of each other. At load, my Core 0 is about 8C lower than the other three. Perfectly normal for Sandy Bridge.
Just finished a quik 1/2hr. run on Prime 95 at 100% and it was running on average: #0 = 52, #1 = 52, #2 = 57, #3 = 52 max temps recorded were: #0 = 54, #1 = 55, #2 = 60, #3 = 55 deg.cSat and watched for the complete time and noted the 60 deg was a fraction of a second spike at the start and then dropped to the average 57 - 58.

Rick Hobbs

Guest jahman

I would suspect an air bubble trapped in the thermal paste under your hotter core.Cheers,- jahman.

yup 34, 30, 28, 39 idle. Could be the heat sink is not seated or an air buble as jahman suggests but I applied the heat sink twice and chances of me pouching it twice are slim.

Regards,
Gary Andersen

HAF932 Advanced, ASUS Z690-P D4, i5-12600k @4.9,NH-C14S, 2x8GB DDR4 3600, RM850x PSU,Sata DVD, Samsung 860 EVO 1TB storage, W10-Pro on Intel 750 AIC 800GB PCI-Express,MSI RTX3070 LHR 8GB, AW2720HF, VS238, Card Reader, SMT750 UPS.

yup 34, 30, 28, 39 idle. Could be the heat sink is not seated or an air buble as jahman suggests but I applied the heat sink twice and chances of me pouching it twice are slim.
Gary. I see you are clocked at 4.5Ghz. How are your temps under load test?

Rick Hobbs

Gary. I see you are clocked at 4.5Ghz. How are your temps under load test?
Intel Burn-test,5-passes Standard: 61,68,67, 72 c realTemp version 3.67/ Vcore 1.366v

Regards,
Gary Andersen

HAF932 Advanced, ASUS Z690-P D4, i5-12600k @4.9,NH-C14S, 2x8GB DDR4 3600, RM850x PSU,Sata DVD, Samsung 860 EVO 1TB storage, W10-Pro on Intel 750 AIC 800GB PCI-Express,MSI RTX3070 LHR 8GB, AW2720HF, VS238, Card Reader, SMT750 UPS.

Intel Burn-test,5-passes Standard: 61,68,67, 72 c realTemp version 3.67/ Vcore 1.366v
So you're still within pretty safe limits. According to my research anyhow.Thanks for your input.Regards,

Rick Hobbs

Having a second thought here. Let's say the temperature difference is acceptable, is 30, 30, 37, 26 acceptable temps before ocing with a NH-D14?

Rick Hobbs

Nothing to worry about here. Temperature variation across cores within a margin which does not border on the absurd is quite normal. If one of your cores had a reading severely out-of-line with the other cores it could indicate a faulty sensor, but I seriously doubt anything is wrong with the chip or the cooling mechanism.

Nothing to worry about here. Temperature variation across cores within a margin which does not border on the absurd is quite normal. If one of your cores had a reading severely out-of-line with the other cores it could indicate a faulty sensor, but I seriously doubt anything is wrong with the chip or the cooling mechanism.
Starting to feel a little better because today i reseated my cooler and used the 'Grain Of Rice' method instead of the 'Line' method and i have exactly the same temps. So as Gary A said erlier, chances of pouching it twice are slim.

Rick Hobbs

Having a second thought here. Let's say the temperature difference is acceptable, is 30, 30, 37, 26 acceptable temps before ocing with a NH-D14?
Ya, I would just monitor while bench testing. Many guys will run the SB up to 80c all day long. My personal limit is 72c on any one core (just me I am here for a long-time, not a fast time). I was running 4.4GHz at max-temp 68c for 100MHz it is not worth the stress on the CPU for me. If I edge 1c over 72 I will drop my clock back down to remain at or below 72c or I will look at another TIN application or brand to address.

Regards,
Gary Andersen

Ya, I would just monitor while bench testing. Many guys will run the SB up to 80c all day long. My personal limit is 72c on any one core (just me I am here for a long-time, not a fast time). I was running 4.4GHz at max-temp 68c for 100MHz it is not worth the stress on the CPU for me. If I edge 1c over 72 I will drop my clock back down to remain at or below 72c or I will look at another TIN application or brand to address.
It has to be the individual processor because what are the chances that you get a bubble over the exact same core twice or the TIM spreads exactly the same way twice to affect the same core?

Rick Hobbs

Guest jahman
It has to be the individual processor because what are the chances that you get a bubble over the exact same core twice or the TIM spreads exactly the same way twice to affect the same core?
Unless there's a defect of workmanship on the contact surface of the heat sink such that the thermal paste is thicker there.Cheers,- jahman.

Well I prefer to have my temps low and under full load prime 95 60C :-) with a low as possible VCORE (now 1.319V) wih a negative offset...Unfortunately my chip has a higher VID so forced to a lower clock to keep things cool under AIR :(Idle on all cores between 25 -32C depends on the load due to the speed stepping (because a system is never idle ;-))Running a I5 -2500K at 4.4Ghz and FSX under full load between 45C and 51C :-) Cheers,

André