Sign in to follow this  
markadeane

OT: Best GA scenery and aircraft combo

Gents,I've spent almost all of my flightsim time in the flight levels, and while I enjoy this immensely, I'm aware that there is a large body of general aviation add-on developers out there producing good work. I have tried exactly none of these, and know little to nothing about what's hot and what's not. (I'm the first to admit that's a disgrace, by the way!)So, here's the question: If you could pick one GA aircraft and Scenery combo that really captured all the joys of GA flying in FSX, what would they be, and why? Payware, freeware, I don't mind. I really see myself as more of an airliner guy, but I'd like a little "weekend getaway" sort of environment where I could try my hand at the basics, and do a few cross countries of an hour or so duration maybe.Your advice is much appreciated!

Mark Adeane - NZWN
Boeing777_Banner_BetaTeam.jpg

Any ORBX region is perfect for vfr flights. And i can recommend the aerosoft katana its a beauty.

Kimo

On top of that, any OZx airfields and Ants Aussie airports! Freeware.Then there's Carenado and of course the Orbx Lancair.

If you could pick one GA aircraft and Scenery combo that really captured all the joys of GA flying in FSX, what would they be, and why?
I would suggest the Carenado Cessna 185 Bush version and the Tongass X Alaska scenery. Lots of places to go (airports and small airstrips on wheels, floatplane bases, glaciers to land on with skis), challenging area to fly in because of the weather and mountains, and short distances so you don't cruise for hours. The C185 is a taildragger, so more challenging to fly than your average Cessna, and the flight model is excellent. And at $18.95 it is excellent value for the money - you get bush wheel, amphibian, float, and ski versions in the package.

Any ORBX area + the A2A Simulations Piper cub...I'd also take a peek at their 377... They've got a new addition on the horizon for that bird called "Captain of the Skies", and while it would put you into the flight levels, it would be a COMPLETE change of pace from what you are accustomed to. Cheers!

Get the excellent NL2000 scenery of The Netherlands (FREE!) and the Aerosoft Katana for an PMDG style appoach of GA aircraft. You'll be in heaven!

Lennart

Banner_MJC11.png

Get the excellent NL2000 scenery of The Netherlands (FREE!) and the Aerosoft Katana for an PMDG style appoach of GA aircraft. You'll be in heaven!
Thanks Lenny for pointing out the Katana! for some reason Ive managed to overlook this little aircraft. Just reading the Features list made me drool!. Im gonna get this tommorow as soon as my wage goes in :( .Looks like a great aircraft for flying around my Orbx Scenery.

If you could pick one GA aircraft and Scenery combo that really captured all the joys of GA flying in FSX, what would they be, and why?
Anything Carenado. They make great aircraft, high quality textures, great sounds (and accurate I might add), feels like you're actually in the cockpit of the thing. Adds a completely different experience when coupled with something like ORBX scenery.

I would give you heads up for another overlooked GA aircraft - Realair Turbo Duke.Amazing little twinprop being upgraded with PT-6A turbine engines. It will give you STOL characteristics combined with speed (280+ knots and FL200+) and climb (4000+ fpm). Realair have done a great job simulating the turboprop engines operations. Actually so well, that if you don't take care you might end up with damaged engines (visually spitting oil on the engine cowling)... Further more I might say that overall I like their creation more than the ones from Carenado.Bundle this up with RealityXP Garmin 530 pack and go fly... Over ORBX scenery of course...

Regards,

Martin Martinov / VATSIM 1207931

All sceneries of Pacific Island Simulation are superb! With a Carenado GA plane, like the Grand Caravan HD. It's great! Gives you an Island hopping feeling.

You could just stick with Orbx the entire way, they not only make great scenery but they also produce a great little 4 seater GA aircraft called the Lancair IV-P (pressurized), it's a tricky aircraft to take off and land because of the high stall speed but can cruise at 250kts @ FL250, or you can choose to go low and slow over that beautiful scenery.

Thanks Lenny for pointing out the Katana! for some reason Ive managed to overlook this little aircraft. Just reading the Features list made me drool!. Im gonna get this tommorow as soon as my wage goes in :( .Looks like a great aircraft for flying around my Orbx Scenery.
If you're amazed by the feature list you'll be in heaven when you get the Katy! It has many more little easter eggs than shown in the feature list!I've just experienced a few insects walking around inside my cockpit while taking off xD Great little thing and well worth the money!

Greetings from the 737 flightdeck!

You'll love this one! It's up there with A2A, seeing you have some of their stuff too. (don't you just love the Spitfire?!)

Lennart

Banner_MJC11.png

You'll love this one! It's up there with A2A, seeing you have some of their stuff too. (don't you just love the Spitfire?!)
yea the Spitfire is pretty awsome, I love the B-17 as well as its so indepth! :(

Anything from RealAir. They totally own the GA category. I especially like the Duke, both turbine and piston. The flight model is very realistic, easily by far the most realistic flight model on FSX