Sign in to follow this  
Ralph33

Dash 8 Q-400

Hi: I have been trying to land the Dash 8 Q-400 and find that on touchdown the brakes seem to be locked and the aircraft seem to just drag to a stop. I have looked for a solution but can't find anything. Otherwise the aircraft is easy to fly. I feel there must be a setting I am missing which locks the brakes or something. Can anyone help me on this.Ralph

Hi: I have been trying to land the Dash 8 Q-400 and find that on touchdown the brakes seem to be locked and the aircraft seem to just drag to a stop. I have looked for a solution but can't find anything. Otherwise the aircraft is easy to fly. I feel there must be a setting I am missing which locks the brakes or something. Can anyone help me on this.Ralph
HelloWhich Dash-8 Q400 are you talking about?

Hmm..I've never try any Dash in my sim so I don't know how it works and what situation you are talking about. But maybe it could be similar to the way PMDG MD-11 handles the autobrake when landing.After touching down with autobrake, we need to brake in order to stop(Disarm??) it,if not it will lock autobrake until...restart FS or the aircraft I guess?? I could be dead wrong though :(

Hoang Le

i5 13500 - eVGA RTX 3070 Ti - 32GB RAM

P3D v5

Sounds like autobrakes as others have said, but I've never heard of a real or simulated Dash-8 (any variant) being fitted with them. PAD models do come with a taxispeed & pushback gauge which automatically applies the brakes, but only below 40kts, only if armed and only then to slow the a/c to the preselected taxi speed. So it's probably not that. Does this happen with other aircraft on your system? Could be something as simple as a stuck key if so.

Sounds like autobrakes as others have said, but I've never heard of a real or simulated Dash-8 (any variant) being fitted with them. PAD models do come with a taxispeed & pushback gauge which automatically applies the brakes, but only below 40kts, only if armed and only then to slow the a/c to the preselected taxi speed. So it's probably not that. Does this happen with other aircraft on your system? Could be something as simple as a stuck key if so.
no it only happens with this aircraft. I don't think it has autobrakes, Although it sure seem like something like that. On takeoff I get up to about 100kts and then throttle back and apply breaks and it still smokes and is very rough befor stopping. I have no idea what it is.

no it only happens with this aircraft. I don't think it has autobrakes, Although it sure seem like something like that. On takeoff I get up to about 100kts and then throttle back and apply breaks and it still smokes and is very rough befor stopping. I have no idea what it is.
HelloBut you still have not told us which Dash-8 400, without this how can we be expected to help?

Dreamwings Dash 8 q400 . Would that be enough info?
Ah. I've had all kinds of problems with the Dreamwings models (which are now 7 or so years old) although not the one you describe. It'd be well worth downloading the much more recent PAD version here instead. Not quite up to the standard of their older Dash 8 variants IMO (the -100/-200 is I'd say the best thing they've done) but still pretty good for freeware.

Hi Ralph,Do you see the red 'Brakes' message in the bottom left of your screen when this happens? Does applying the brakes when the problem occurs make a difference, better or worse?I'm not sure that brakes are to blame- I've had problems with (I think) contact points with Dreamwings, then PAD, Dash-8 causing bouncing and smoking on runways and taxiways. I know it's not the same problem but I suspect the fault lies with the model rather than the controls.Regards,D

No the red brake warning light is not on at the time. I tried landing without applying the brakes at all, only throttle down and reverse. I apply the brakes only when slowed down quite a bit. The makes the jerky movement go away but still smoke.