Sign in to follow this  
RickSinGA

File sharing Win7 & XP

I have created home networks before but am at a loss here.My Win 7 machine can see and share the files on the XP-Pro machine while the XP-Pro machine can see the Win7 machine and the shared drives and directories, it cannot access them. Keeps giving me a permissions error on the XP-Pro machine.They are both on the same home workgroup and I have allowed file sharing on both?What am I missing?ThanksRick S.

In W7, right click the root folder you want to share. Select share with/advanced share options. Expand the type of network both computers are on. Select all the options that allow W7 to share , and others to alter W7 files. This works on my network. If it doesn't work on yours, we may need to look at some other settings. Bob

Bob

i5, 16 GB ram, GTX 960, FS on SSD, Windows 10 64 bit, home built works anyway.

In W7, right click the root folder you want to share. Select share with/advanced share options. Expand the type of network both computers are on. Select all the options that allow W7 to share , and others to alter W7 files. This works on my network. If it doesn't work on yours, we may need to look at some other settings. Bob
Thanks for the reply Bob, but that hasn't/doesn't work. Rick S.

I have UAC off.Bob

Bob

I'm not at my W7 computer right now. When I am I'll check some permission settings. Before I changed the above settings in W7, I could not access W7 files from XP. I have XP home, not pro.Bob

Bob

I'm not at my W7 computer right now. When I am I'll check some permission settings. Before I changed the above settings in W7, I could not access W7 files from XP. I have XP home, not pro.Bob
That would be great Bob.ThanksRick S.

What does the error say? Is it a W7 error or XP error? Are you using the Windows firewall? If not you may have to open certain ports to allow sharing.Before I answered your post, I tried to access W7 from my XP machine, and could not do it. I did not get an error, though. I turned on file sharing for the USER folder in W7, and from XP was able to copy a photo from the USER folder into XP. So I know in can be done. Is there a lock icon on any of the folders you are trying to share?Bob

Bob

What does the error say? Is it a W7 error or XP error? Are you using the Windows firewall? If not you may have to open certain ports to allow sharing.Before I answered your post, I tried to access W7 from my XP machine, and could not do it. I did not get an error, though. I turned on file sharing for the USER folder in W7, and from XP was able to copy a photo from the USER folder into XP. So I know in can be done. Is there a lock icon on any of the folders you are trying to share?Bob
Sry Bob, My W7 sys is down right now while I install a new 3d tv above it. Will get back up tomorrow sometime and will try to answer your questions.ThanksRick S.

I have no problem seeing the XP-Pro machine with Win-7. I can copy and edit without problems. On the other hand I can see the Win-7 machine in the network from the XP machine but get this error anytime I try to access it. "Microsoft Windows Network" "PC is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions. Logon failure: the user has not granted the requested logon type at this computer." Makes me think I need a user name and password, which on occasion it has asked for; but no idea where to se them up. Besides, it dosen't ask anymore?I have messed with the settings numerous times now and I remember at one point I could actually see the directories on the Win-7 machine but was never able to get into any them.I have "shared" many directories in the Win-7 machine, fyi.ThanksRick S.

Sry Bob, My W7 sys is down right now while I install a new 3d tv above it. Will get back up tomorrow sometime and will try to answer your questions.ThanksRick S.

RickI found that I have an old XP Pro machine. I'm trying to get it up and running to see if there is a difference. I suspect that it has to do more with W7. Not sure yet why I can do it and you can't. There isn't a padlock icon on any of your main folders?Bob

Bob

RickI found that I have an old XP Pro machine. I'm trying to get it up and running to see if there is a difference. I suspect that it has to do more with W7. Not sure yet why I can do it and you can't. There isn't a padlock icon on any of your main folders?Bob
Not the ones that are shared as I remember.Rick S.

I answered your post, I tried to access W7 from my XP machine, and could not do it. I did not get an error, though. I turned on file sharing for the USER folder in W7, and from XP was able to copy a photo from the USER folder into XP. So I know in can be done. personalized kids rooms

Seems the XP machine is unable to do anything on the W7 machine while the W7 machine does have access to the XP machine? Going to load W7 on the XP machine, will be able to use Homegroup then. Rick S.

Put the files you want to share in the public folder on the win 7 machine and you will be able to access them from other. Ron.