Sign in to follow this  
Jimmy Angel

New computer coming: SSD Question

I've finally made the upgrade, and I'm looking forward to trying out FSX on my new machine, which comes tomorrow!It includes a single 120GB SSD, and I'm a bit torn in terms of whether to put FSX on the SSD or just install it on the hard drive. I figure that my OS and apps are going to consume about 50GB, and my current FSX installation is 64GB. I can probably get things down to the essentials (maybe 40GB or so with Orbx scenery?), but that won't give me much future wiggle room on the SSD.I know that an SSD won't contribute to FSX performance at all, but it will help load times. On my current machine, to be honest, the load times are enough of a detriment that sometimes I don't even feel like loading up FSX. So, if the improvements in load times are substantial, there is some real value for me in putting it on the SSD drive. CAn anyone speak to what sort of difference might I Expect?As a point of comparison, initial start-up of FSX on my current install is two minutes, and opening a flight over Orbx PNW takes another two minutes. I expect this will improve with my new machine, but I wonder if the SSD would give me an order of magnitude better?Perhaps I should just save up for a 2nd 120GB SSD for some of my primary games, and keep the primary SSD for SD/apps.

Load times improve beyond believe. But you will certainly be better off with a second SSD.

My initial FSX load is 15-20 seconds, and flight loading over a high detail area is 30-ish. It is definitely a huge difference.

Interesting. Thanks. I sure do wish the price per MB for SSD's was better. Another $250 for a 2nd SSD might be a bit hard to justify for improved load times, but I'll give it some thought. For the moment, I'll probably be happy with the improved fps and more willing to put up with some loading :)

Interesting. Thanks. I sure do wish the price per MB for SSD's was better. Another $250 for a 2nd SSD might be a bit hard to justify for improved load times, but I'll give it some thought. For the moment, I'll probably be happy with the improved fps and more willing to put up with some loading :)
Hi Jimmy,Putting FSX on the SSD is a great idea, not only it improves load time, it will also greatly improve texture loading as well, therefore, less blurry and stuttering.My setup isC: is HDD (moving to SDD soon)D: HDD backupF: SSD 80GB FSXG: SSD 40GB FSXH: VelocityRaptor 150GB FSX for bigger scenery packages like VFR EnglandWith this setup, i haven't experience any impact of performace and the sim is running very smoothly.Thanks,Tom

Guest jahman
...Putting FSX on the SSD is a great idea, not only it improves load time, it will also greatly improve texture loading as well, therefore, less blurry and stuttering....
To improve FSX start-up times (speed-up factor is like 10x!), you need to put the scenery on the SSD. Of course if you have room left over you can also put FSX and Windows on that SSD...Cheers,- jahman.

Guest PFL

If your mobo supports it, I can recommend SSD-Caching:http://www.anandtech...aching-review/2Example:A 120 Gb SSD for the OS.1 Tb WDC HDD 64 Mb cache, 6 Gbs, for FSXWith "Intel Smart Response Tech" - make a 64 Gb SSD cache connected to the HDD (max. allowed).Use the rest of the SSD - app. 50 Gb for OS + programs.NB: You can adjust the size of the SSD cache if you want, 18 Gb being the min. - if I remember dorrectly...