Sign in to follow this  
mdexter

Defragging FSX Drive

Hi All,I have FSX on Drive D: on its own, what do you guys do with Defragging FSx, whats the best method?Many thanks in advance.....

I use MyDefrag fairly regularly. Generally I will set it off and leave it going overnight. It definitely speeds things up when that is done.Al

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

I used to be fanatical about defragging and the like, but lately i have been less stringent and havent really noticed any dip in performance. I used to use windows defrag but i now use Auslogics Disk Defrag, its free and quick and simple. The NickN guide suggests some program to use for defragging and then sorting your drive into alphabetical order, but i tried that and corrupted my FSX install so i just opt to keep things simple now. Much easier to solve if it goes wrong.Tom

Tom

Why not read some useful tips and tricks - http://forum.avsim.n...22#entry1965722

Hi All,I have FSX on Drive D: on its own, what do you guys do with Defragging FSx, whats the best method?Many thanks in advance.....
The best method is to move your FSX installation to a SSD then you can kiss FSX degragging goodbye. :(

John

Rig: Gigabyte B550 AORUS Master Motherboard, AMD Ryzen 7 3800XT CPU, 32GB DDR4 Ram, Gigabyte RTX 2070 Super Graphics,  Samsung Odyssey  wide view display (5120 x 1440 pixels) with VSYNC on.

The best method is to move your FSX installation to a SSD then you can kiss FSX degragging goodbye. Big Grin.gif
Great idea lol, but the finance manager will not allow a new SSD (smirk)

I do nothing. Just let Win 7 take care of it on auto.Here is what I don't get: I read people saying that installing on an SSD does nothing, except maybe initial load is a bit quicker. Yet, defragging with only certain defraggers in a certain way is a must on an HD. I can't see how both claims can be correct.scott s..

Guest jahman
I do nothing. Just let Win 7 take care of it on auto.Here is what I don't get: I read people saying that installing on an SSD does nothing, except maybe initial load is a bit quicker. Yet, defragging with only certain defraggers in a certain way is a must on an HD. I can't see how both claims can be correct.scott s.
Both claims are correct: WRT a properly defragged HDD, SSDs only ofer a 10x faster load time (quite significant if your FSX load time with HDDs is 15 minutes and you have CTDs more ofthen than you'd like).Cheers,- jahman.

Both claims are correct: WRT a properly defragged HDD, SSDs only ofer a 10x faster load time (quite significant if your FSX load time with HDDs is 15 minutes and you have CTDs more ofthen than you'd like).Cheers,- jahman.
I agree, I acquired my SSD simply to eliminate the waste of my time defragging FSX once a week. I have both my system and FSX partitions on my SSD and my only performance comment is that I think that my machine booted more quickly after installing the SSD (I also had to to change my BIOS to AHCI rather than IDE in order to boot from the SSD).

John

Rig: Gigabyte B550 AORUS Master Motherboard, AMD Ryzen 7 3800XT CPU, 32GB DDR4 Ram, Gigabyte RTX 2070 Super Graphics,  Samsung Odyssey  wide view display (5120 x 1440 pixels) with VSYNC on.