Sign in to follow this  
Hirgab

Alternative to FSRecorder?

Is there an alternative to FSRecorder? I ask because FSRecorder gives my sim trouble with start-up, though it's absolutely perfect when using it.Thanks

Hi,Yep, FRAPS is the way to go.

Is there an alternative to FSRecorder? I ask because FSRecorder gives my sim trouble with start-up, though it's absolutely perfect when using it.Thanks

Former Beta Tester - (for a few companies) - As well as provide Regional Voice Set Recordings

Four-Intel I9/10900K | One-AMD-7950X3D | Three-Asus TUF 4090s | One-3090 | One-1080TI | Five-64GB DDR5 RAM 6000mhz | Five-Cosair 1300 P/S | Five-Pro900 2TB NVME        One-Eugenius ECS2512 / 2.5 GHz Switch | Five-Ice Giant Elite CPU Coolers | Three-75" 4K UHDTVs | One-24" 1080P Monitor | One-19" 1080P Monitor | One-Boeing 737NG Flight Deck

Hi,Yep, FRAPS is the way to go.
Although the latest version of FSRecorder has a video creation mode, it's main use is that of an in-game recorder, similar to the built in instant replay, but with so much more features. FRAPS is a good as far as graphic quality is concerned video game capture program, but it is a performance hog, and it creates raw video that is huge in file size. I find a good alternative to FRAPS is GameCam, which creates compressed files, with much less of a performance loss. It's downside is because it is compressed graphic quality is a little less. You can look at my videos to see what you could expect. For a in-game (Like instant replay) recorder though, FSRecorder is the best option. It's smoother, and records things instant replay can't like AI traffic. The Video creation mode in the latest version, records it unsynced. That means it will appear very smooth, but will not sync up with the audio, since the video is not 100% real time recording. As such there is not an option to record audio in that mode.

Thanks

Tom

My Youtube Videos!

http://www.youtube.com/user/tf51d

Hi,Aside from FRAPS to record the video I use Handbrake (uses the H.264 compression codec) to compress the file. Its an excellent combination for making FSX videos.

Although the latest version of FSRecorder has a video creation mode, it's main use is that of an in-game recorder, similar to the built in instant replay, but with so much more features. FRAPS is a good as far as graphic quality is concerned video game capture program, but it is a performance hog, and it creates raw video that is huge in file size. I find a good alternative to FRAPS is GameCam, which creates compressed files, with much less of a performance loss. It's downside is because it is compressed graphic quality is a little less. You can look at my videos to see what you could expect. For a in-game (Like instant replay) recorder though, FSRecorder is the best option. It's smoother, and records things instant replay can't like AI traffic. The Video creation mode in the latest version, records it unsynced. That means it will appear very smooth, but will not sync up with the audio, since the video is not 100% real time recording. As such there is not an option to record audio in that mode.

Former Beta Tester - (for a few companies) - As well as provide Regional Voice Set Recordings

Four-Intel I9/10900K | One-AMD-7950X3D | Three-Asus TUF 4090s | One-3090 | One-1080TI | Five-64GB DDR5 RAM 6000mhz | Five-Cosair 1300 P/S | Five-Pro900 2TB NVME        One-Eugenius ECS2512 / 2.5 GHz Switch | Five-Ice Giant Elite CPU Coolers | Three-75" 4K UHDTVs | One-24" 1080P Monitor | One-19" 1080P Monitor | One-Boeing 737NG Flight Deck

Hi,Aside from FRAPS to record the video I use Handbrake (uses the H.264 compression codec) to compress the file. Its an excellent combination for making FSX videos.
Agreed, it depends on the type of system you're running. With an I7 at 4.0+Ghz like yours the performance hit from FRAPS probably is manageable. If though if the OP has more of a mid range computer, he's more likely to notice it. I know I do with my E6850 3.0Ghz system. GameCam has a much lessor performance hit then FRAPS. About 1 or 2FPS vs 8 to 10 with FRAPS.

Thanks

Tom

My Youtube Videos!

FRAPS is just a recorder, as are others. It records source files as .avi's so they do get large. The trick is to make a series of short segments, then edit them using a program like Windows Movie Maker (free) to compress them to your liking. Any source files should be the highest quality you can get, because they lose a lot in editing normally. When I did commercial videos, the source files could be as large as 20-50 gigs, but the edited version would be under 100megs, and smaller depending on the end destination.

Jay

I should mention that there is a bug in GameCam. In FSX SP2 it will only record when using FSX SDK compliant made models. If you use a FS9 model, you will record a white screen, in all conditions. In FSX SP1, the bug only occurs when in fog.

Thanks

Tom

My Youtube Videos!

Would hate the resurrect this thread, but I want to thank those that responded. Lots of the responses where about FRAPS/Gamecam and others. My OP was mainly towards an add-on that does instant replay and also records items when flaps/spoilers are deployed, lights turn on, etc (FRAPS/Gamecam does not do this.) The default FSX recorder does a very bad job. FS Recorder is excellent for this purpose, but as I mentioned in the OP, it freezes my FSX on start up 50% of the time. For some reason, 50% of the time it makes the wait time almost 3 or 4 minutes long and then I get a popup to trust a certain DLL file, despite doing so, I get the same popup every now and then. If I can fix that, then that would be great. Otherwise, I have found no alternative for FS Recorder, which is unfortunate.

I see this occasionally as well and for me the fix was to move the entry for FS Recorder higher in the dll.xml file. This way it loads before some of the other calls and seems to avoid some of the conflict.

- Aaron

Thanks for the response Slait. Can you tell me what to do exactly? I don't know where the dll.xml file is. Has it fixed that problem for you completely or do you still get it occasionally?

The dll.xml file, along with the related exe.xml file, is located in the same folder as the fsx.cfg. This should be in your profile folder, which is hidden by default, in a similar location as the following: C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX. Substitute the username with whatever you use, and naturally if you use WindowsXP that path will vary a bit more. Once you've located the file open it up and do a find for "fsrecorder". There will be an associated section for this entry that you will need to move in its entirety to a higher spot in the file. For example, the following is what the section looks like for me:

<Launch.Addon>    	<Name>FS Recorder</Name>    	<Disabled>False</Disabled>    	<ManualLoad>False</ManualLoad>    	<Path>C:\Program Files (x86)\FS Recorder for FSX\FSRecorder_FSX.dll</Path>	</Launch.Addon>

Highlight and cut that entire section from your existing file and move the code up to a higher position. Recommend finding the first "Launch.Addon" section and pasting it just below that so as to not mess up the file format. Clearly as one should do anytime editing a file you'll want to back it up before making any changes so if anything goes wrong you have a fallback. Hope that helps, and you get it resolved. I can't live without my FS Recorder. cool.png

- Aaron

Slait, I think it's working perfect now! This is great! I really appreciate you taking the time to instruct me on what to do. So happy! Hug.gif

Good to hear and thanks for reporting back. Blue skies!

- Aaron