Sign in to follow this  
TurbofanDude

Icing lift loss?

Does the JS41 actually lose lift when the plane ices up? I know the windows will freeze up, but will the plane start to slow down?Thanks in advance, loving the J41.

Collin Biedenkapp
Chief Executive Officer
TFDi Design (Invernyx) | Website

When an aircraft ices up you will start to lose lift but possibly will maintain speed, this will most likely factor on the type of ice (glaze/rime/mixed), the weight of the ice and other factors. With a light load in the aircraft you will probably will not notice a reduction of thrust and handling depending on the amount of ice on the aircraft. Remember that small surfaces exposed on the outside of the aircraft will pick up ice faster than the edges of the flight controls, when you pick up ice on the windshield that's probably the only place the ice is to start off with. I can't remember if the JS41 is certified for safety in icing conditions or flight into known ice, either way if your picking up ice the JS41 does have the systems to rid the aircraft of the ice.Hope this helps and someone else will be able to chime in on the abilities of the FSX weather engine.Tom___________Tom Bergman

Tom

"I just wanna tell you both: good luck. We're all counting on you."

Thank you for the insight, I understood (not in that detail) the effects of icing, I was inquiring if the loss of lift would be simulated should the J41 ice up.Thanks very much for the extra information. I have a weather program (Active Sky) that simulates it.

Collin Biedenkapp
Chief Executive Officer

I think it does, I have never let it get that far myself. But I do recall someone saying once upon a time, that if left long enough it will bite you.

ah gotcha, thanks!

Collin Biedenkapp
Chief Executive Officer

Hi guys, unfortunately no, the icing affecting flight dynamics is not simulated in J41, only visual effects. Pleas remember that this is "PMDG Light" ;)