Sign in to follow this  
Richard99_Photography

FSX: using GEX-UTX ground textures lose quality

cmpbellsjc wrote: "It just comes down to the set up of your OC, Windows, driver settings and FSX itself. Of course how your addons are setup like UTX and REX options chosen can also have either a positive or negative effect on your experience. The only reason I can say that my sim looks and performs very well considering my older hardware is because I had Windows, FSX, video card drivers and misc items set up by a professional company that specializes in that."'I´ve noticed this claim in so many of your posts, and I have to reply on that specifically: I do not believe this is the main reason, absolutely not! There´s so much knowledge gathered about setting up FSX here and elsewhere, that anyone, even myself, a 2 year newb have the possibility to install, adjust, tweak and fly your FSX with max. performance!
Well, your free to believe whatever you want to believe, but when I can fly FSX with none of the issues I read here and in FS forum land about CTD's, freezups, g3d.dll crashes, blurries, poor FPS, and all the other things alongs those lines, then I dont know what else to place my well being on. Look at Mitch "Sesquashtoo" with all the pain and anguish he has put himslf thru in the past few years, most noticable lately where he came close to giving up FSX all together because he had so many probelms, and you know what, he applied all the "knowledge gathered about setting up FSX here and elsewhere", and a lot of these folks have rigs much. much better than mine. Fortunately for Mitch he's ok, for now, but his whole situation could have been avoided in the first place.Notice that I always give a recommendation to use Nick's guide as well if you want to go the route of doing it yourself. When people have issues I like to give multiple suggestions on how they might be able to resolve them on their own using Nick and ******* or seek professional assistance.With all due respect PFL, there is nothing wrong with letting a professional in the field help you out.When my car breaks, I take it to a mechanic. Could I buy a Chiltons guide and fix it myself? Sure maybe I could, but i'd prefer to save myself the time and agrivation of doing myself. I suppose I could say the same about when I have health problems, I go to a Dr.Anyways, i'm not twisting anyones arm to do what I did, mearly mentioning it so that they know its a choice if they continue to struggle. Although from some of the threads i've read here, I almost think some actually enjoy the agony of tweaking the sim rather than actually flying it.Frankly, I dont see what issue you have with what I said in the first place. I know a few people here on Avsim that went the route that I did and are more than satisified with their FSX results. However if you never say anything some people will never find out that there are otions besides doing it yourself.

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Guest PFL

FSX is a PC Game!How many other PC Game titles needs a "professional tune & set-up company" to enable the game to play in an acceptable way?Frankly, I think you are misleading newbies with your advise, it´s way off, absolutely useless...You mention Mitch, read his posts, flying with a neat, clean, virgin FSX.cfg, how is that?BTW and IMO people like him needs to clean-up and re-install every 3-4 months, because they keep putting useless junk and garbage in their Sim, I do it myself, so I know my kindred "Sim-spirits!" Whistle.gif

FSX is a PC Game!How many other PC Game titles needs a "professional tune & set-up company" to enable the game to play in an acceptable way?
It's no secret that FSX demands a more exact setup than what what works well for most PC games. There are so many variable that go into making FSX work right and look good, that when one or more of those variable is off then you get the majority of the "help" posts that you read here.
Frankly, I think you are misleading newbies with your advise, it´s way off, absolutely useless...
Sorry you feel that way. :( If you want I will PM you a list of Avsim users who have done what I did and you can contact them privately thru the PM system to check and see if they are happy or not with their results. Otherwise your assumption is just a shot in the dark.
You mention Mitch, read his posts, flying with a neat clean virgin FSX.cfg, how is that?BTW and IMO people like him needs to clean-up and re-install every 3-4 months, because they keep putting useless junk and garbage in their Sim, I do it myself, so I know my kindred spirits! Whistle.gif
People like him, what kind of people are those? People who like to use addons...A re-install isn't necessary every 3 to 4 months just becuase of addons. How is that about Mitch, we will see in a month or two. He's already had a few OMG moments where everything was peaches and cream, only to turn up a few months later with problems and issues again.Look PFL, i've scanned a few of your older posts while waiting for a reply and got a good idea of what type of forum fellow you are and noticed that your usually the argumentative type, I'm not. So let's do this PFL, rahter than muddying this fellows post with your distain for me, my happiness with FSX, or the way I went about getting it, why not PM me and go from there. This banter isn't helping the fellow who started the post.Regards

Hi did you try changing filtering settings?look hereCheersIgnacio Big Grin.gif
Hi Ignacio,thanks for that link, I have already seen indeed. One question. If I set the Anisotropic Filter by nVidia Inspector, is it seggested (and does it work) to set it also in FSX or not?

Nick's guide and about all other sources say that in FSX, settings should be "trilinear" and no anisotropic filtering in order to make the Inspector settings work.

quote name='PFL' timestamp='1309376947' post='2007896']FSX is a PC Game!How many other PC Game titles needs a "professional tune & set-up company" to enable the game to play in an acceptable way?Frankly, I think you are misleading newbies with your advise, it´s way off, absolutely useless...You mention Mitch, read his posts, flying with a neat, clean, virgin FSX.cfg, how is that?BTW and IMO people like him needs to clean-up and re-install every 3-4 months, because they keep putting useless junk and garbage in their Sim, I do it myself, so I know my kindred "Sim-spirits!" Whistle.gifI will 'second' everything "cmpbellsjc" posted. PFL your opinion is yours alone.

Jay

Guest PFL

I don´t need any discussions via PB concerning this issue, why do you want that?Why do you pay other people for setting up a system?Are they former ACES employees? What qualifies them to be experts in this field?Why don´t you want to know every screw and bolt, nut or butt of your precious PC Game system?I know every damn secret spot on my wife, and I want to know the same about my Sim PC, period!!Absolutely amazing the kind of bull we are slowly getting used to here, the blind leading the deaf, and the deaf trying to hear ##### is going on!angry.gif

Chill up Man ! you said it yourself: "it's only a PC Game " :(

PFL, this will be my last response you on the matter. This post was orginally started by a fellow seeking help of which we have made some suggestions and posted some comparison shots.

I don´t need any discussions via PB concerning this issue, why do you want that?
I said that if you want to argu with me to do it via PM, not PB (whatever that is), because I dont want you to fill the OP's post will a bunch of senseless bickering over a choice some of us have made.
Why do you pay other people for setting up a system?Are they former ACES employees? What qualifies them to be experts in this field?
Maybe because some of us dont enjoy tweaking and testing like some people do, just like some of us prefer to take our cars to get the oil changed rather than do it ourselves. Granted I think some folks enjoy the tweaking and testing more than they enjoy actually flying, just like some people spend more time putting together custom AI than they actually do flying. We're not all the same. When given the chance to pay a fellow who specializes in this field and pay him a nominal fee, of which doesn't even get paid UNTIL after they do the work and if your not satisified you dont pay AT ALL, then yes, it was well worth it too me. Why? Because I like to fly not tweak, and I like to leave NOTHING to chance. Look, I went thru the whole tweaking circus with FS9 on my last rig and truth be told, I dont know if I ever did get the most out of it because I was always fiddling with it. Then when I got the chance to try the other route with my new rig I jumped on the opportunity. Like I said, you dont pay until after they are done and if your not satisfied with the results then you dont pay. Simple as that, nothing to lose!Ok, you want some of his qualifications? Here some cut and pasted from an FSDT thread where someone like you was questioning their validity : http://www.fsdreamteam.com/forum/index.php?topic=2185.60
Mr Chams,Let me introduce myself, my name is Michel Greenblatt and I am the owner as well as the lead technician of Fs-Gs. I do not, as a general rule, reply to warnings or other attempts to disparage my service by people who have not done the service and have no knowledge of my work. However, in this case, you have crossed a line which I simply cannot let go unanswered. My A+ certification validation number is E70DTT3303 and it was validated on February 14, 2000. I am also MCP certified, MCSE certified as well as CCNA. I did my certifications at CEI Computer Education Institute in Anaheim CA.I am 60yrs old (I lived in Israel for 23yrs and only returned to the US in 1994) and have run fs-gs since September 11, 2001 while simultaneously working as a Microsoft consultant and getting my 2nd Masters in Computer Engineering (my first was in 1971 from SUNY Buffalo in Social Psychology) I do not write these things in order to validate myself, which I have no need to do to you or to anyone else, but to establish a groundbase from which to proceed with what I am about to say.Fs-Gs has served over 3000 clients world-wide and has an unparalled success rate. We charge at the end of the service not because we do not guarantee our work but rather because we are so sure of our success in answering the clients needs and desires that in all our history we have had only had 3 clients who were unsatisfied. We have never, except in those 3 cases, had a client request a refund or launch a complaint against our service either personally or through our European resale company, Simmarket.
Avsim also reviewed their service a few years back. It was for FS9 at the time but the jist of it remains the same for FSX. Here's the link to that: http://www.avsim.com/pages/0306/FSGS/fsgs.htmKey points from the review in case you decide not to read it...What I Like About FS-GS-Transformed my 3 year old machine into better than new condition -Wealth of knowledge gained about FS2004 and Windows XP -Very novice friendly step by step instructions -Enjoying Flight Simulator at never-before-seen levels of fluidity and detail -Lifetime support for machine in current configuration -No-charge guarantee if not satisfied with service What I Don't Like About FS-GS-Absolutely nothing!
Why don´t you want to know every screw and bolt, nut or butt of your precious PC Game system?
Because like I said, i'm not interested in knowing everyting about my machine. If I was, then I would study it and apply more time to it, but my interests don't lie in that area. Hoever when I let them do my setup it was quite a learning experience of which I was able to retain a bit of knowledge and some things that have helped me to keep FSX running strong since then.
Absolutely amazing the kind of bull we are slowly getting used to here, the blind leading the deaf, and the deaf trying to hear ##### is going on!
Frankly, I don't know what type of "bull" your talking about. The whole thing started when the OP asked "Furthermore I don't understand how it is possibile that other users, with worse hardware configuration than mine, are able to run FSX with better graphics results." and I told him how I went about it, BUT I also suggested he take a look at Nick's guide, and gave him a link to it, as well as *******'s FSX tweak tool. Then you bust in with your rant, providing nothing to the OP's discussion, which is why I told you to PM me if you want to debate the subject.As consumers and FSX users we have many choices of hardware, addons, utilities, tweak guides and so forth. Some people like to sit down build their own rig from scratch, install FSX and tweak it on their own. That's fine, but some of us dont like to do that. Some of us want a turn key FSX experience right from that start without the nightmares of tweaks, crashes, and other things that drive some people to just give up all together.Not long ago there was another fellow who posted here on Avsim have issues with FSX. He tried Nick's setup guide and *******'s cfg tool, but was still have trouble. I did something I NEVER do and actually got in contact with the fellow and tried to help him over the phone and thru Crossloop to check his setting out. Well, we got it working better but still not as good as can be. I suggested he seek professional assistance, of which he did with FS-GS. Not long ago I got a PM from him and this is what it said, i've kept his user name private since it was a PM to me.Here's what it said and please dont make a comment on his English as its not his first language.
Hello , Sean - if you remember this is the guy who was having the problems with fsx and you recommend me to Michael ; but turn long story short michael work with me and get my computer to be super fast and work perfect with fsx I dont regret paying him or letting him help me . you and Michael is a hero and I just wwant to thank you for recommending me to him because if you did not I would not be satisfied with my fsx.
You think he's happy? Absolutely. So I guess the "bull" was worth it... Regards

I'm just curious... did you try NickN guide by the letter before using this service and it didn't work for you, the guide I mean?
Nope, my FSX install and service was done 9 months before Nick's guide was published. Since that was the case I have luxury in that I can compare the "freeware" offering vs. the "payware" offering, and I can say that I am happy I went with the "payware" version since it goes much more indepth and covers a lot more things that I never even hear or read about in these forums. As soon as its time to upgrade my rig or move to Flight, I will have no hesitation to go with the "payware" version again.Just to be clear since the poor OP's topic has gotten so off course. I'm not recommending or saying anyone should go that route. For me it was simple after what I went thru tweaking FS9 back in 2005. I wanted the most hassel freeway to go, that left nothing to chance and I would be "turn key" so to speak in a day, not days or weeks of messing around trying stuff. If you're an "expert" or think you're an expert of all things computer and FSX related, like to do-it-yourself, and dont mind spending time on it, then its not for you. If youy want the best results in the shortest amount of time with the lifetime support of someone you can actually talk to and dont mind spending a couple bucks, then its a great service.

cmpbellsjc, you might again be a lifesaver to me in my endless struggle to get FSX running really well. I'm with you on this one: I'm the kind of guy that hates tweaking software before it starts to work. I simply want to pop in the DVD, install, and FLY. That's all I want. I do not have the patience the read guides and do everything to the letter. In the end, I of course ended up doing that - I didn't have much choice, did I? I acknowledge I was never the most faithful reader, but I used it, tuned the FSX.cfg, and... well, crash I guess.Then ******* came along with the tweak tool, but it didn't make FSX more stable. Stuff seemed to run faster, but I still got CTDs. I have now reinstalled FSX five times this year, and I'm sick of it. I sent an email to Michael to ask if he can help me, since I use an Apple iMac, so hardware can't be replaced or anything, and I strongly think of purchasing his services. I'm not desperate for a good FSX experience, but in the face of constant failure, I like the idea of a professional taking a look and helping me get to the bottom of it.

Benjamin van Soldt

Windows 10 64bit - i5-8600k @ 4.7GHz - ASRock Fatality K6 Z370 - EVGA GTX1070 SC 8GB VRAM - 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX @ 3200MHz - Samsung 960 Evo SSD M.2 NVMe 500GB - 2x Samsung 860 Evo SSD 1TB (P3Dv4/5 drive) - Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200RPM - Seasonic FocusPlus Gold 750W - Noctua DH-15S - Fractal Design Focus G (White) Case