Sign in to follow this  
Sesquashtoo

At long last...can fly anywhere with FSX stable

Hello all,Well, with long hours of frustration, CTD's, freeze up's, what-have-you....I finally have FSX running (on my system, of course...) totally stable. I can fly anywhere, and within any scenery package I choose, and with any airframe. I won't go into all the pain and suffering through countless driver and software-running scenarios that brought me to this point...but will only state how I am now using and running FSX, and at 100 percent stable.Definition: 100 percent stable to me, is that I fire up FSX, I fly from and to where ever I choose, and after obtaining the gate....I the USER, ends the session, and only then, back to the Desktop.Here's what I am running with:nVidia driver suite 270.61 WHQLnVidia Inspector (the latest) with all of Nick's standard settings (for both FSX and FS9)Active Sky Evolution (fully updated)R.E.X. Extreme (for clouds and atmospherics, etc, and fully updated)That's it! One of the programs that was causing two or three different 'crash-to-desktop'.dll's was the FSX version of A.I. Smooth. I used this like religion...and by not having it run in the background, was one of the things I did to arrive at FSX session stability. I might mention that I am now totally off the upgrade-to-the-next release of an nVidia driver suite. I had been running all of them right up to the latest, but it is the aforementioned above driver suite that is giving me great, clean, well-defined visuals, and part of the reason for no more FSX P.I.T.A's.....So in review, FSX-Active Sky EVO-nVidia 270.61-REX Extreme as the combo....with all the add-on planes, scenery, elevation files, etc...running inside. That's it. Stability is found. I'm not pointing the finger at A.I. Smooth (for FSX)...but by no longer running that...was one of the reasons that I now have no more CTD's by means of different X.dll's. On my system, might be on yours as well...and of course, might not. Each system is different. That IS FOR SURE!!!One thing is very much for sure. I do not intend to move past this configuration. FSX looks killer, runs smooth at 30 plus FPS...even in PNW, etc...and am no longer holding my breath and crossing my fingers. 270.61 stays as the final driver. That's it. Now I just fly and enjoy.Tweaking can hit the road.....Post Edit: I am also running back at 4.0 GHz for the CPU and 1333 MHz for the memory. Totally stable...on AIR all the way! It was the software combo...that was putting me to the Desktop...not O/C'ing the CPU and Memory.Mitch

Mitch I am truely happy for you. :( May I suggest that you add a fourth item to your winning "FSX-ASE-270.61" combo?I bet that since you don't use bold letters anymore in the forum, your FSX is solid as rock! :(

Best regards,
David Roch

AMD Ryzen 5950X //  Asus ROG CROSSHAIR VIII EXTREME //  32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 4000 MHz CL17 //  ASUS ROG Strix GeForce RTX 4090 24GB OC Edition //  2x SSD 1Tb Corsair MP600 PCI-E4 NVM //  Corsair 1600W PSU & Samsung Odyssey Arc 55" curved monitor
Thrustmaster Controllers: TCA Yoke Pack Boeing Edition + TCA Captain Pack Airbus Edition + Pendular Rudder.

Mitch I am truely happy for you. dry.gif May I suggest that you add a fourth item to your winning "FSX-ASE-270.61" combo?I bet that since you don't use bold letters anymore in the forum, your FSX is solid as rock! :(
----------------------------------------------------------------------Hi David,I am enjoying FSX to the max, now. It was a long road to get to this point. As someone stated, FSX is a gem...when you run it, and it... does not run.....you!. :)Back to flying....Arizona to Michigan......iFly 737. Life is good....Mitch

Hey! That's great news Mitch! We've all lived through your (and our) trials and tribulations - glad you got it sorted out.Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

Now I just fly and enjoy.Tweaking can hit the road.....Post Edit: I am also running back at 4.0 GHz for the CPU and 1333 MHz for the memory. Totally stable...on AIR all the way! It was the software combo...that was putting me to the Desktop...not O/C'ing the CPU and Memory.Mitch
Great news mate. Enjoy the flying. I have always said, stay as close to FSX std and you will have stable system (well at least for those with latest hardware) With latest hardware you dont need tweaking to try and push out another Frame per second. and decide on add on developer and only stay with them. Stop messing with adding 100 diferent developers stuff like loading GEX, FEX PNW etc all on same machine. I run only FSX/REX/ASE/ORBX for weather and scenery. nothing else like addon AI etc.. I rather have a little less bells and whistles then instability..I have really middle of the road hardware system but it is rock solid stable.edit: and the 270.61 is really nice for me too.. Will be difficult to move on to another driver..

great news, now stop tweaking.

Jeff Bea

I am an avid globetrotter with my trusty Lufthansa B777F, Polar Air Cargo B744F, and Atlas Air B748F.

Guest jahman

Now you should get paid by the rest of us for adding "one more add-on (scenery or aircraft)" and seeing which add-ons make your system CTD so we can baish them to binary oblivion. (Full system backup before and sytem restore after each test).Cheers,- jahman.

I've been running FSX with Bojote's tweaks. All of a sudden in the last few days I started getting some stutters and low framerates so I deleted my FSX config and started all over again. The only tweak was the HighMemFix. It's running smooth as silk right now. Less tweaking and more flying!

NAX669.png

Glad to hear you got it running rock solid. I never managed that with FSX on my old machine. Now I hope, with my new rig, I can complete 3+ legs on a flight with no CTDs.So, you stopped using Bojote's Tweaks? You don't tweak your FSX.cfg anymore? I was never a fan of that, only the essencial.

Alexis Mefano

Now you should get paid by the rest of us for adding "one more add-on (scenery or aircraft)" and seeing which add-ons make your system CTD so we can baish them to binary oblivion. (Full system backup before and sytem restore after each test).Cheers,- jahman.
Jahman, (lol!), not touching it! FSX is now rocking like Elvis hasn't left the building..... I have FSX loaded up like an ORBX groupie. Add-on planes up the ying-yang. MY TRAFFIC (latest and greatest) supplying the A.I. Everything is running like clockwork. I even can transition out of ORBX into GEX, coast to coast without so much as a twinge from FSX. I have already (you can be sure of this....) created a system image, and as I have stated, NO MORE TWEAKING, no more chasing nVidia driver sets. No more .cfg 'explores'. My GTX 285 is just dancing with the 270.61's. Now...flying...just flying...and I'm in 7th Heaven.... :)))))Mitch

I've been running FSX with Bojote's tweaks. All of a sudden in the last few days I started getting some stutters and low framerates so I deleted my FSX config and started all over again. The only tweak was the HighMemFix. It's running smooth as silk right now. Less tweaking and more flying!
That's the only 'tweak' that I have in there now. Other than that...my FSX .cfg file is 'stock'. FSX has never run better after I (as you) rebuilt all the crap out of my over-bloated 'Tweak Fest'.Stock FSX .cfg file, plus HighMemFix. That's all, and FSX now works like a Banshee!Mitch
Glad to hear you got it running rock solid. I never managed that with FSX on my old machine. Now I hope, with my new rig, I can complete 3+ legs on a flight with no CTDs.So, you stopped using Bojote's Tweaks? You don't tweak your FSX.cfg anymore? I was never a fan of that, only the essencial.
Alec, as part of my 'hoping this and that works...' I let FSX rebuild a clean .cfg and then only added back the HighMemFix.That's it. FSX runs smooth as glass.... I'm not even going to inhale/exhale near the .cfg file now (LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL!)I'm seriously having fun. Can you tell?!? :)Mitch

My money is on a Chapter 2 of 'Mitchsters Tales of FSX De'lights & De'lows'Complete with the obligitory Font changes and bold highlights.Within a week..

My money is on a Chapter 2 of 'Mitchsters Tales of FSX De'lights & De'lows'Complete with the obligitory Font changes and bold highlights.Within a week..
I'm with you, Dean! :( If history repeats itself - he'll run true. Mitch is going to be quiet for a few weeks and then - suddenly out of the blue - "I KNOW WHAT THE FIX FOR FSX FREEZING IS!! IT'S THE "T"!! - TOO MANY "T's" !!... and then we'll have the full page explanation..! B) :( :( We love you Mitch! Keep 'em coming.

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.