Sign in to follow this  
GMFM

NAV/GPS

Hi,Could some one help me, if this switch works at all, how to get it to work.I prepare a flight plan which and once loaded it appears in my GPS screen, but prefere not to use the GPS (imagine it failed to work!). I would like to use instead the CDI to follow the GPS flight path as there are no VOR stations available where I'm flying. I flick the switch but nothing happens; and this situation is particular to this aeroplane as it seem to work on other crafts.Thank you for your help

Guest BeaverDriver

Don't think it will work. Only more sophisticated instruments such as HSI's can tie into a GPS input as far as I know. A simple VOR indicator has no connection to the GPS. Even if it did, using your example if the GPS unit failed, then your signal wouldn't be present no matter what indicator you were using (HSI or whatever) as it's the GPS that is providing the input. So no, there is no way of tying in the VOR indicator to a GPS unit in the 185.EDIT - this is a real world limitation, not just an FSX one. You can get special indicators that will allow for this, but the Carenado 185 isn't equipped with such.

The GPS/Nav switch is located on the left side of the virtual panel, it works just fine. GPS is in down position, NAV is up. There is no anunciator or light to tell you which position it is in. I added the default MS Cessna light so I could be sure. I have flown numerous flights and it will hold your course. The autopilot needs to be on naturally. Duh. By the way if you want to edit the panel config, substitute the default Bendix king auto for the supplied one and it will hold a given alttidute as well. texerrn

Guest BeaverDriver

The GPS/NAV switch works fine. What it doesn't do is display a course deviation in the VOR indicator, which is what he was asking. That is true for real world indicators of this vintage as well. The autopilot will follow the GPS if the GPS/NAV switch is set to GPS, as you noted, and as is true IRL.

The GPS modeled on this plane is a handheld device and in the real world there is no connection between the GPS and the autopilot or HSI or VOR indicator! In reality you would have to use the screen on the unit to give heading information and either hand fly or set the autopilot to follow the heading bug on the heading indicator. To be accurate as far as what is modeled the NAV/GPS switch shouldn't even be included!

Dave Scalora

Banner_FS2Crew_NGX_Driver.jpg

Carenado has more or less said what "dscalora" has written above. So, back to flying by the seat of my pants...