Sign in to follow this  
Brett Nicholls

KIndle

Hi Guys, I was wondering if anyone was using a Kindle to run your manauls and checklists. With the NGX out soon and all the manuals in PDF form I thought it might be a good idea to get one and put them on that. Can anyone come up with a reason not to do it this way. Thanks for any help.

I was thinking about trying that as well.The thing is, you wont see the graphics in colour, and the formatting might not look right.Kindle can read .pdf, so i guess the thing to do is to try it.

Plus Charts.Thought about that myself. I just could not convince myself that I REALLY need it...It's quite expensive for just b/w with few shades in between.Well for the manuals it should suffice. Maybe you could check one in the store with an own pdf e.g. the MD11 manuals.Clemens Kuehn

My wife and I share a Kindle DX (Graphite). She for her book group novels and I for my sim manuals, AOM's QRH's POH's etc.The DX has a larger format and pdf’s are perfectly sharp and readable. I'm not sure this is true for the smaller Kindles as I would think 8-1/2 x 11 pdf's might be a bit small. We may pick up the smaller one for the wife as she just uses it for ebooks and it doesn't always fit in her bag (hard to believe as she could outfit a platoon with what fits in some of her bags...)PDF functionality is a bit limited as hyperlinks, unbelievably, do not work. Instead you have to look at the index or TOC to see what page you want and use the GOTO page feature. Its a bit cumbersome for browsing, but for reading chapters at a time it's fine. Many of my docs don't have hyperlinks anyway...You can zoom in on a page to 150%, 200% 300% or "actual size".It's not a fast machine by any stretch. Takes me back to my 8086 days. PDF page changes can only be described as "sluggish". Text is clear, diagrams and images in your typical AOM are wonderful. The thing goes a week on the beach on a single charge if you turn off the wireless connection. Also works great in direct sunlight.I often have the relevant PMDG manual, QRH and charts open when in FSX. Works fine for that. It's a nice to have for pdf's, but probably not a must have given the limitations. If you're in the US take one for a spin at a nearby Staples.Brett Linker

Skyscraper

...PDF functionality is a bit limited as hyperlinks, unbelievably, do not work.
This is true.To be honest, a small netbook may be beneficial.

iPad is the perfect tool for EFB...

too much, too soon....

iPad is the perfect tool for EFB...
That's true Pao, but for serious reading - War and Peace, NGX FCOM's and the like, I much prefer e-ink over the LCD glare on my kid's iPad. Particularly if I'm outside. Much easier on these 1/2 a centennial eyes...Brett Linker

Skyscraper

I have a cheap Binatone E Reader (£65 from Asda) and have had the PMDG manuals on for some time. Great when I need to catch up with a few details or browse a manual. Much better than digging out my printouts. I have Win7 tips and secrets, PMDG and other manuals, plus free E books to read. I`ve never looked back since I got mine. I don`t know how many colours are available but mine shows the full blue in the PMDG Logo at least. Admittedly I used to think the Kindle was no good to me but having used an E Reader now I`d get one if anything happened to this one. The Kindle should run the PMDG manuals as well as my present one. Though I have been reading about a new one due out that has touch facilities. Probably better than all that constant button pressing to forward the pages. Either way I`m glad I took the chance and got one.Steve Brooks

I have a "Nook Color" and it is awesome! Manuals and charts are in full color with a very sharp backlit screen, which is great because most of the time I sim with the lights out. It holds tons of manuals and charts. I have all of my PMDG manuals on it for my J41, MD11 and 747. Also have my manuals for all of my A2A/Accu-sim aircrafts and many others loaded along with any other books that I buy from Barns & Noble. I have one book on there that tells the history of the Boeing/Airbus wars.You can set up folders just like a computer drive and put manuals in one folder with sub-folders and another for charts. I'll load charts for the departure and destination airports in a sub-folder so I can keep my favorite flights. I made a mount on the front of my desk to hold up my Nook so it is always set up off to the side.Bob

Waiting for the Aerosoft iPad app for my radiostack. My realworld ForeFlight app can be used to display any approach plates in the world.

Inactive