Sign in to follow this  
jgoggi

Any news about v5?

I can't believe what I'm reading on this thread. I have to guess that most add-on developers, like JD, have real lives with real families and real 40+ hour/week jobs. Sales of radar contact certainly aren't going to pay the bills, unlike autos and electronics, so I'm guessing he does this because, for him, this is how he takes his hobby to the next level. Thankfully, we all get to benefit from his skills and hard work. Updates or not, I'm grateful to JD for helping take my flight sim experience to the next level. I appreciate the time he takes from his family and his own free time to give to us. Very selfless, and worth the $50 bargain for such a complex program. Todd
Todd,$50 dollars for "such a complex piece of software". So how much did you pay for Flight Simulator that covers the entire planet with ai, scenery, weather, aircraft, and everything else? I paid around $50 for mine when the version I use was first released. Now you can pick it up between $10 to $20 dollars for that same program that isn't complex as RC..... Btw how many people have lost jobs in electronics and autos? Sorry but if your charging for a product then you have a responsibility to your customers if you have a day job or not. If you have a family like many in your auto and electronics statement do, they take time away just like here to create the product right? They charge for that product right? They earn an income on that product right. They made a choice to do it. If the product is freeware that is different bacause your not earning money from customers. When you take money for goods you have a responsabilty to your customers then. If you feel that you don't have that responsibility then you need to stick to your day job.

HelloAt this point I have all but given up on waiting for V5FSX is soon to be EOL , with Flight! in development I am putting a hold on my flightsim purchases until i see how the new sim turns out. Laminar research are rumoured to be working with an unnamed developer coding a new ATC program for Xplane 10Maybe that's what is slowing JD down Thinking.gif

Todd, $50 dollars for "such a complex piece of software". So how much did you pay for Flight Simulator that covers the entire planet with ai, scenery, weather, aircraft, and everything else? I paid around $50 for mine when the version I use was first released. Now you can pick it up between $10 to $20 dollars for that same program that isn't complex as RC.....Btw how many people have lost jobs in electronics and autos? Sorry but if your charging for a product then you have a responsibility to your customers if you have a day job or not. If you have a family like many in your auto and electronics statement do, they take time away just like here to create the product right? They charge for that product right? They earn an income on that product right. They made a choice to do it. If the product is freeware that is different bacause your not earning money from customers. When you take money for goods you have a responsabilty to your customers then. If you feel that you don't have that responsibility then you need to stick to your day job.
Hi. Just clearing up a misconception here. You only become a customer when you agree to part with your cash. Until that point a developer owes you nothing; you are just part of a market. JD shows plenty of responsibility towards his customers in terms of after-sales support, and information concerning the development of version five is available in this forum. Interestingly and in a different direction, with regard to the price and complexity of MSFS, FlightGear provides a reasonably good simming environment, and is free and open-source. Regards,D

Jeff,What's your point, exactly? I'm simple replying to people who are ticked about JD's lack of updates on v5. On this, he owes people nothing, not even those who bought v4. The support he gives for v4 is another story, and on that front I believe he does quite well. As for your argument about the price of MSFS vs. RC, if you feel $50 is too much for RC4 then don't buy it. If MSFS chooses to drop their price, then that's their choice. I'm sure if JD could sell a million copies, he might consider a price drop years later too. A lot of that is driven by supply and demand, and last time I checked Microsoft develops other software as well to cover their expenses. Also,if I am not mistaken, JD is the sole developer/programmer, while Microsoft has a team of developers, a team of marketers, and a team of technical support folks. Basically, the 50 bucks I spent for RC4 is more than just for a piece of software, it's for the technical support he supplies on this forum. Believe me, he earns every penny of it. As for version 5, I don't expect one penny of what I paid for version 4 to go to monthly updates on the development of version 5. Between family, work, his own free time (to maintain sanity after reading threads like these), and giving daily support for RC4, I'm surprised he has time to develop v5. I'm sure he'd rather be working on that than updating a blog anyway, and perhaps that is what he discovered. If so, I say good for you. And JD, please don't sacrifice too much time with your family. In the end, that's what counts.I look forward to v5 if and when it comes out. Until then, I will continue to enjoy v4, and be thankful for the excellent technical support JD offers.Todd

Jeff, What's your point, exactly? I'm simple replying to people who are ticked about JD's lack of updates on v5. On this, he owes people nothing, not even those who bought v4. The support he gives for v4 is another story, and on that front I believe he does quite well. As for your argument about the price of MSFS vs. RC, if you feel $50 is too much for RC4 then don't buy it. If MSFS chooses to drop their price, then that's their choice. I'm sure if JD could sell a million copies, he might consider a price drop years later too. A lot of that is driven by supply and demand, and last time I checked Microsoft develops other software as well to cover their expenses. Also,if I am not mistaken, JD is the sole developer/programmer, while Microsoft has a team of developers, a team of marketers, and a team of technical support folks. Basically, the 50 bucks I spent for RC4 is more than just for a piece of software, it's for the technical support he supplies on this forum. Believe me, he earns every penny of it. As for version 5, I don't expect one penny of what I paid for version 4 to go to monthly updates on the development of version 5. Between family, work, his own free time (to maintain sanity after reading threads like these), and giving daily support for RC4, I'm surprised he has time to develop v5. I'm sure he'd rather be working on that than updating a blog anyway, and perhaps that is what he discovered. If so, I say good for you. And JD, please don't sacrifice too much time with your family. In the end, that's what counts.I look forward to v5 if and when it comes out. Until then, I will continue to enjoy v4, and be thankful for the excellent technical support JD offers. Todd
Todd, You said $50.00 is a bargain. Rolling%20Eyes.gif That was your argument. The entire simulator it was designed for is less... I have purchased 2 versions of Radar Contact in the past with the latest being 4.3. My point is don't come out saying there is a new version coming and then two years later still nothing. Don't start a blog with updates and post once and nothing. Ever notice this only seems to happen in Flight Simulator? I'm still waiting for the Dream Fleet DC-8..... Oh yeah they are done but just like here nothing is really mentioned of it. Tons of vapor ware in FS. What is so hard regarding an ETA and a update? Especially to customers who have paid for the current version waiting on the next version that was said to be forth coming 2 years ago... If you think about it it would generate some excitement and help sell more of version 5. Thats of course its vaporware as well. You know what, your right. It's only a game based upon a 20 year old platform. It doesn't matter. I guess I should just go and buy PFE instead of waiting for RC5. Money%20Eyes.gif

Umm your first link fromm 2008, three years ago, read a little farther. I posted the first comment in it to make it easier for you. Its in Red. down at the bottom of my post. All the links you posted were mainly hardware related even the white iphone... I give you kudos for the effort though. In that time an update along with release date could have been posted... You don't see any FS titles period in any mainstream gaming publication. You cant really find ANY Flight Sim titles in any retail outlet anymore either. Other than us at AVSIM on other Flightsim sites nobody really cares too much about FS anymore Jim. Heck Microsoft even dropped it and fired the staff. They decided to redo it in hopes of a rebirth and will probably do the samething with Flight if it doesn't sell. Oh yeah they gave a release timeframe and regular updates with video to generate interest and some excitment. Just sayin..... What Rank was ASE, Radar Contact or even Flight Sim in sales in the gaming industry last year? What Happened to Propilot,, Fly, Flight Unllimited Combat Flight Sim, Janes Sim products and all the rest that have disappeared because of lack of mainstream interest. Here is something you might enjoy though. It even has sold 672 copies since just being released this past month just from this site alone..... http://www.gamespot....Bgame_title%3B1 How many FS titles are on Amazon while your searching besides Hardware and Microsoft? Didn't see RC or ASE on there..... Street Cleaning Simulator was though. All I'm saying is if you marketed right then you would have more sales and enthused customers. I personally want more FS titles and addons but you seem to treat me like the enemy because I just want to be informed. As mentioned almost all other pc game titles can do it. Funny you have time to make condesending posts though. Rolling%20Eyes.gif Here is what showed up in regards to Active sky and Radar Contact on Gamespot when searched... http://www.gamespot....ag=topsearchbox And have a look at this link. It just shows the 36 upcoming games that just today that have been updated with trailers and release dates. Nope no flight sim titles anywhere there either.... Rolling%20Eyes.gifhttp://www.gamespot....3Bdaily_updates Mon May 05 01:33:50 PDT 2008
  • The Top 15 Vaporware Products of All Time My top vapourware list includes: [1] Lock-On Modern Air Combat - Black Shark [2] Nvidia xp stereo drivers for 8/9 series graphics game cards [3] Emagin SXGA 3dVisor

Rolling%20Eyes.gif

Wonder how FS has become the longest running gaming software series ever? I'm sure it's because of the constant updates MS gives you. Did you know that the sales of FSX did not lead the dismissal of the ACES staff? Did you know that MS actually ran out of FSX licenses recently and had to run another batch? Oh, and BTW, 672 people voted, not purchased. You can vote even without purchasing SS. And you can look at #9 on the All Time Bestsellers list here: http://secure.simmarket.com/default-en.html Why would GS have a review for a flight game add-on? That is what flight web sites are for. No, you want to take a dead horse topic and beat it into the ground.

Wonder how FS has become the longest running gaming software series ever? I'm sure it's because of the constant updates MS gives you. Did you know that the sales of FSX did not lead the dismissal of the ACES staff? Did you know that MS actually ran out of FSX licenses recently and had to run another batch? Oh, and BTW, 672 people voted, not purchased. You can vote even without purchasing SS. And you can look at #9 on the All Time Bestsellers list here: http://secure.simmar...default-en.html Why would GS have a review for a flight game add-on? That is what flight web sites are for. No, you want to take a dead horse topic and beat it into the ground.
Jim, Again in that time you wrote your condescending reply we could have had an update... Yes I did know FSX was not the reason. Microsoft wanted to pursue Xbox and other media rather than PC games in a cost cutting move. Hey did you see desktop sales lately? Again nice try Sim Market is strictly for Flight sim related. What next Flight 1 or Abacus? Show me any of those titles on Amazon, Best buy or Game stop? Every last one of them sell PC games. So please lets stick to GAMING sites. Why would GS have a review for a flight game add-on? wow they have this there with an advertisment and a release date http://www.gamestop....assault-horizon. You ask why would thay ummm because it is a GAME and they cover every platform including PC. Everytime you reinstall FSX jim you have to get a license for FSX. Give you a hint, its that little yellow sticker in the jacket.. Typically you have to activate everytime you upgrade your motherboard hard drive or CPU. Just like Windows, and Office... Here is a link that might help you over the lifetime of FS http://gamrreview.vg...ight-simulator/ Notice cooking Mama has beat out worldwide sales of Flight Sim? 672 people reviewed. So why would 672 people review a game without buying or playing it? Dead horse or not you found time to reply and during that time we could have had an update. Thats all we asked but according to you that is so difficult. I'm trying to show you that by marketing, providing updates and a release date it can help you. But you'd rather be condescending to at least me who was a loyal customer to both your product and RC. So now you just lost another customer that you have shown really doesn't matter. Now I'm sorry I bought Active Sky, ASA and ASE. BTW is ASE ever going to get fixed or is that top secret too...

I think I've read enough at this point. When the developer posts to squabble with a customer, but can't be bothered too post an update, it doesn't look good. I believe someone else post in either this or another thread that the feature list is still open. If so, that doesn't look good either if you're looking for a release anytime soon. It's true to say that as version 4 customer, I am owed nothing in terms of version 5, because I haven't paid anything for it yet. However, if a developer who is working on a new version would like to keep his customers around to buy it, common sense would suggest the at least the occasional crumb should be thrown. Instead, the word seems to be "you've got version 4.0, what more do you want?" In my case, what I want is VFR and taxi instructions. I have so far ignored other ATC offerings because RV5 was coming...and coming....and coming... I've regularly looked in here and on the RC5 non-blog, searching in vain for signs of progress. I stayed away from other ATC products because, well, I like RC and RC5 is coming...well, allegedly...except there was probably more information available about the progress of the Manhattan Project... Well, for me the waiting ends today. Today I start seriously examining all the other offerings with a view to buying the one that comes closest to matching my requirements. And I'll be buying it with the money I would have spent on RC5. And that, gentlemen, is why developers should engage with their existing and potential customers in a meaningful way - because eventually potential customers get tired of waiting and spend their money elsewhere. Arguing to score points against customers who only want to give you their money? I don't know, I'm not a business person; perhaps it is something they teach in Harvard business school, but it seems counter-intuitive to me. I can only say that I've seen this approach twice; once was a temporary desktop support guy we had at work. His agency was told never to send him to us again. The other was Basil Fawlty. Holdit

When the developer posts to squabble with a customer, but can't be bothered too post an update, it doesn't look good.... ...if a developer who is working on a new version would like to keep his customers around to buy it, common sense would suggest the at least the occasional crumb should be thrown. Instead, the word seems to be "you've got version 4.0, what more do you want?" Holdit
The developer hasn't been squabbling with the customers. Look more closely. Searching for progress updates? Or for new features? Read a few of the other threads in this forum. In ten minutes I found a good deal of info ranging from new voices & phrases, through progressive taxi and VFR flight, to beta testing. Best regards,D

Wonder how FS has become the longest running gaming software series ever? I'm sure it's because of the constant updates MS gives you. Did you know that the sales of FSX did not lead the dismissal of the ACES staff? Did you know that MS actually ran out of FSX licenses recently and had to run another batch? Oh, and BTW, 672 people voted, not purchased. You can vote even without purchasing SS. And you can look at #9 on the All Time Bestsellers list here: http://secure.simmar...default-en.html Why would GS have a review for a flight game add-on? That is what flight web sites are for. No, you want to take a dead horse topic and beat it into the ground.
In this WHOLE topic it only seems to be you that is always coming up with some condensending remark!! Why is that?? What do you have to do with radar Contact?? Shouldn't you be over at the Active sky board?? You should look back at the history of AvSim and see some of the very RUDE vendors that have been on this site that are no longer in business and take a lesson from them!!!!!!!

I don't know if Jim is affiliated with RC or not. Up until now I had the utmost respect for him.  Don't hold the RC team to what Jim says unless he is their spokesperson like he is for HiFi. RC except for a beta tester or two have not really responded. Why is it that it seems only in Flight Sim that pay ware developers can be condescending to their customers and not take a second or two regarding upcoming releases. I'm not here to ruin them or take their "secrets"... I'm here to generate a little excitement in the hobby. I'm here to show them that keeping people updated on progress and getting people excited about an upcoming release will generate more sales for their products. It will create more positive buzz of the products. I guess instead condescending responses and no updates about what's going on with updates and releases is what they want. It's a shame. Your right about all the pay ware vendors that went out because of their attitudes. One thing though is don't confuse RC lack of updates of releases to their support for the product. JD has always stood behind his product and always provided support. JD isn't the one leaving the condescending remarks.

I was prompted to reply to this thread when yesterday i was trolling the Flightsim forums about ATC addons and noticed a post by someone who stated they were now looking at another ATC product over RC because of the lack of information on RC5, and that was over a year ago. Gotta say that the lack of what is going on with RC5 is a little disconcerting, and i have to wonder why. Is there a problem? Now i have critised PMDG in the past about how they originally promised the new NGX for FS9 but then turned their back on FS9 users, and i still stand by that criticism, but one thing i have to give them credit for was the snippets of information they released on the NGX whilst it was in progress. It tantalised, kept potential customers drooling, kept them interested, that part was good business. People just want to know whats going on. You see it in every day life at work, when disasters happen, in business, people just want to know whats happening. As long as they are informed and know whats going on, despite potential problems and length of time then generally they are happy and will hold out for a product because they know it is quality. And thats the case with RC products, it is quality, JD always produces excellent products and if the information was flowing then i would be more than willing to hold out. Yet if it continues to drag on with no info on the horizon, then it may be a case of bugger it cant be bothered waiting any longer, im outta here. If its going to be a while longer coz your family life comes first and RC5 is being developed a bit at a time, or if its a tech problem, cool no problem, just a bit of info on progress, maybe a couple of screenshots to wet people's appetite (PMDG style) would be appreciated. Thanks

Family life versus paying customers. With no definition, family life can be supporting children's activities, visiting them in the hospital or at the local prison. It could mean a messy divorce. It could mean just a loss of interest. Maybe a large inheritence and an extended around the world cruise. And the lists go on. I believe that the general consensus is that the mystery if RC5 will continue and that the lack of any information is "odd". Define odd as you wish. I am turning to Flight and/or X-Plane. X-Plane has announced a Christmas release date (grain of salt). Flight, who knows. I would like to buy RC4 if that would allow me to prepare for the release of RC5. But right now my personality says there will be no RC5 for FSX but it might show-up in Flight or X-Plane10. Or, nothing will appear and we will be using whatever ATC is offered by the two new programs.

regards,

Dick near Pittsburgh, USA