Sign in to follow this  
phoenixphire

Is th 737- series a "Heavy"

The internet search I came up with had contradictory answers.
It doesn't help that there are still references to the old way out there on sites, since it recently changed. Going even further, it doesn't help that the 757 aircraft isn't heavy in terminology, but is, in terms of wake turbulence separation.I saw the thread title and thought "he doesn't honestly think..." and then I read it, and laughed a bit.I don't say that to be intentionally mean, but sit a 737 next to a 76, 77, or 74 and you'd laugh a bit at the suggestion, too.By the way, some people answered the question, but then we all got off on a tangent. The part people got is that it isn't heavy, but I don't think anyone mentioned that it was in the large category. That would be a natural assumption, but I just wanted to be sure nobody thought it was medium.Here's my favorite from the FAA itself:
Aircraft are divided into categories related to impact on wake turbulence:(A) heavy (any aircraft weighing more than 255,000 lb such as the Boeing 747 or the Airbus A340);(B) B757 for Boeing 757 all series;© large jet (large jet aircraft weighing more than 41,000 and up to 255,000 lbs such as the Boeing 737 or the Airbus A320);(D) large commuter (large commuter non-jet aircraft including small regional jets weighing more than 41,000 and up to 255,000 lbs such as the Aerospatiale/Alenia ATR-42 , the Bombardier Canadair Regional Jet, or the Saab SF 340);(E) medium (small commuter aircraft including business jets weighing more than 12,500 up to 41,000 lbs such as the Embraer 120 or the Learjet 35); and(F) small equipment (small, single, or twin engine aircraft weighing 12,500 lbs or less such as the Beech 90 or the Cessna Caravan).-Unknown refers to unspecified equipment.

Kyle Rodgers

Going even further, it doesn't help that the 757 aircraft isn't heavy in terminology, but is, in terms of wake turbulence separation.
Actually, that's not completely true. Before April 2010, certain 757-200's (depends on the equipped engines) and all the -300 series were considered heavy. Unfortunately, this caused a lot of confusion. We had to constantly ask all -200 series if they were a heavy or not. The FAA decided to change the class weight of a heavy to 300,000 MTOW.Now, the confusing part. In terms of wake turbulence, a B757 is considered a large behind and a B757 in front (not treated the same as heavies). Meaning, if the B757 is following a heavy or B757, it is considered a large aircraft. If it is front, it is considered a B757.1. Heavy behind heavy- 4 miles. 2. Large, heavy behind B757- 4 miles. 3. Small behind B757- 5 miles. 4. Small, large behind heavy - 5 miles.As you can see, the B757 has it's own special separation standards. If a 737 is behind the 757, we provide 4 miles. But if the 757 is behind a heavy, it gets the same separation as a large aircraft. Yes, it gets confusing, but the important thing to remember is that a 757 is NOT treated as a heavy. It's simply special.

Hello,In the UK we classify the 757 as an upper medium, along with the following types - B707, DC8, IL62 and VC10.There is no increase in departure separations, although quite a few airlines/crew require 2 minutes behind rather than the official minimum of 1 minute. Arrival separation is increased, generally by a mile, for anything in the groups below (lower medium, small and light).All 737s are lower mediums. You can get some interesting catch-up with a 738/9 following something like a A319 though!

As you can see, the B757 has it's own special separation standards. If a 737 is behind the 757, we provide 4 miles. But if the 757 is behind a heavy, it gets the same separation as a large aircraft. Yes, it gets confusing, but the important thing to remember is that a 757 is NOT treated as a heavy. It's simply special.
You're right. I was just trying to simplify. This being primarily a pilot forum, I didn't think I'd add to what confusion had already been caused in the above posts.

Kyle Rodgers

This is all very good and very helpful. Thanks for the discussion and information.

Mike Keigley

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

The 757 gets special handling primarily due to an accident in KBIL, where I fueled planes and learned to fly. A cowboy pilot in a Citation V called a visual, was granted visual separation from a UPS 757, and then proceded to follow it 1nm behind and low....on Christmas Eve. He was wake rolled, and crashed into an empty school warehouse.It was the breaking point.Personally, when flying visuals into LAX or SFO, I always stay 1 dot high on glideslope behind 757's (unless it's down to minimums). They are too crazy in the wake departement. On calm days, you can see them physically create little water spout tornado's just prior to the runway in SFO.And now, with that beluga of a whale A380 going into SFO, I get the "Super" treatment following them. They even ask them to stop taxi so we can taxi in front :(