Sign in to follow this  
KeithyGeorge

FSX Repair

HI having some issues with crashes realted to "Smart assembly" in Orbx PNW as I reported on Orbx forums earlier today here...http://www.orbxsyste...crete-muni-ctd/My questions is I am considering doing a repair from the FSX disx to see if that helps, but I am wondering if this would effect my addons in my sig as I have quite a few and wanted to find out effects 1st.If I do the repair can I just carry on as I was or will I have to spend time re configing everything?ThanksKeithy

Keithy George

Guest firehawk44
HI having some issues with crashes realted to "Smart assembly" in Orbx PNW as I reported on Orbx forums earlier today here...http://www.orbxsyste...crete-muni-ctd/My questions is I am considering doing a repair from the FSX disx to see if that helps, but I am wondering if this would effect my addons in my sig as I have quite a few and wanted to find out effects 1st.If I do the repair can I just carry on as I was or will I have to spend time re configing everything?ThanksKeithy
A repair will overwrite your FSX.cfg, scenery.cfg, dll.xml, and exe.xml so you should back those up first. Don't forget you'll also have to do a repair of SP1, SP2 or Acceleration as appropriate. Best regards,Jim

It seems to me that it might be a good idea to wait and see what Orbx has to say. A little patience now could save a lot of grief later!

Might as well just reinstall. I've never had the repair install work correctly.

Might as well just reinstall. I've never had the repair install work correctly.
on the other hand I never had a problem running a repair.. and I have all of ORBX /REX installed. just as said above, I did not run repair for fsx then SP1 then SP2, I only run repair for acceleration (I have the gold version) and everything was 100% fixed afterwards

KeithyGeorge,I have used the repair option several occassions and never had any ill effect from it. I have a ton of addons and none have ever been affected by a repair installtion. There are some addons that will manipulate default files and have poor uninstalltion routines (which actually remove the modified default file). I just recently went through this again a few weeks ago after uninstalling my Ariane products which inturn caused contrail issues. If you have Acceleration you will need to run a repair from your original FSX disk followed by a repair from the Acceleration disk.I'm not sure where the notion that a repair install will overwrite your fsx.cfg, scenery.cfg, dll.xml, and exe.xml came from, because a repair install will not touch to those files if they already exist. However, it is never a bad idea to back those files up. Running FSX Repair ONLY affects default files, in default locations, so it cannot help or effect aftermarket files in any way. This is only a concern if you have replacements for those default files - halo.bmp, texture folder, revised autogen files etc, etc. Many people keep a clean vanilla install of FSX on a spare drive. So that they can have orginal files handy should things get modified,replaced, deleted or overwritten. It's just as quick to create a virgin FSX installation as it is to repair the current one - just rename the current folder so that there's not confusion then install FSX and Acc into the same exact location. Rename the folder to `backup` and move it to the spare drive, rename the original folder to what it was before, and then copy/paste whatever you need.Now, with your particular issue at hand, I would as previously recomended, wait for Orbx to assist you.Regards,Bob

I'm not sure where the notion that a repair install will overwrite your fsx.cfg, scenery.cfg, dll.xml, and exe.xml came from, because a repair install will not touch to those files if they already exist. However, it is never a bad idea to back those files up.
Just to confirm I also have not seen that these files is being overwritten in repair..

Guest firehawk44
KeithyGeorge,I'm not sure where the notion that a repair install will overwrite your fsx.cfg, scenery.cfg, dll.xml, and exe.xml came from, because a repair install will not touch to those files if they already exist. However, it is never a bad idea to back those files up. Regards,Bob
Bob, where did you come up with this erroneous information? I have done a couple of repairs and I know they will be overwritten. So please....Best regards,Jim

Bob, where did you come up with this erroneous information? I have done a couple of repairs and I know they will be overwritten. So please....Best regards,Jim
Jim,They WILL NOT be over written if you do a repair if they exist. Only missing files will be replaced. It's that simple.Regards,Bob

Guest firehawk44
on the other hand I never had a problem running a repair.. and I have all of ORBX /REX installed. just as said above, I did not run repair for fsx then SP1 then SP2, I only run repair for acceleration (I have the gold version) and everything was 100% fixed afterwards
Yes, that's why I stated in my original post above "or Acceleration as appropriate". The OP did not indicated what all he had installed. I guess you were just trying to clarify my poorly written post and I appreciate that.Best regards,Jim

Yes, that's why I stated in my original post above "or Acceleration as appropriate". The OP did not indicated what all he had installed. I guess you were just trying to clarify my poorly written post and I appreciate that.Best regards,Jim
Thanks for everyones comments. I appreciate your time and suggestions.

Keithy George

someone please help. I somehow lost a file in the fsx folder. I got the disk and put it in my computer to do a repair and now I get a message called 1607. Is there any other way that I can do a fsx repair?

Repairing goes just fine, but uninstall all service packs and acceleration first, and reinstall them after repairing.

It has caused trouble for me, FSX didn't start after repairing with sp1 and acceleration installed.