Sign in to follow this  
JaneRachel

NGX Short Field Performance Package

Hey Gang,Question - how do you get a 737-800 safely in and out of runways of less than 5000ft in length? This was the question posed by GOL airlines to Boeing when they wished to use the 800NG in and out of the 4800ft runway at Santos Dumont.Answer - Boeing developed an option for the "Short Field Performance Package" for 800 operators who really wanted to squeeze their aircraft into very small spaces! This package makes 6000ft airports such as Gibraltar pictured below seem luxuriously long! It still requires a crew who really know what they are doing, but the results of the package are stunning. As promised you can operate the 800 in less than 5000ft of runway, offering some really fantastic challenges for the pilot (and the sim pilot!)fsx2011-07-1711-54-06-50.jpgDoes the NGX support this incredible optional equipment? You bet it does, in 100% accurate detail.So what does the Short Field Package actually change on the aircraft? You will notice a lot of changes to flaps, slats and spoiler logic. Namely:-Flight spoilers are capable of 60 degree deflection on touchdown. This compares to the current 33/38 degrees and reduces stopping distances by improving braking capability. Slats are sealed for take-off to flap position 15 (compared to the current 10) to allow the wing to generate more lift at lower rotation angles. Slats only travel to Full Ext when TE flaps are beyond 25 (compared to the current 5). Flap load relief function active from flap 10 or greater. Two-position tailskid that extends an extra 127mm (5ins) for landing protection. This allows greater angles of attack to be safely flown thereby reducing Vref and hence landing distance. Main gear camber (splay) reduced by 1 degree to increase uniformity of braking across all MLG tyres. Reduction of engine idle-thrust delay time from 5s to 2s to shorten landing roll. FMC & FCC software revisions.Yes, this all works fully in the NGX if you select the shortfield option. Visual purists will be delighted to know that the flaps, slats, spoiler animations etc are also fully modelled for this revised operation. You will see noticeable differences in deployment. Even the new tailskid fully animates! Absolutely all of these features are modelled in entirety, right down to the change in engine idle-thrust response time! The handling and physics of the aircraft are fully updated to give accurate performance parameters with this option enabled.For me, (and for all of you I hope!) it adds a whole new dimension of challenge and realism to the NGX. I am really loving flying in and out of very small airfields!I hope you enjoy the feature as much as we all do,JR Whittaker

- Jane Whittaker

Hi it sounds great,Well while it's so great option why not used all the time ? what's the cost ...fuel consumption, strutural stress, engine excessive use, experinced pilots / controllers ? or maybe all ??Best regads

Alaa A. Riad
Just love to fly...............

W11 64-bit, MSFS2020, Intel Core i7-8700 CPU @ 3.20 Ghz 6 Cores, 2 TR HD, 16.0 GB DDR4 RAM, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6 MB GDDR5

Hi it sounds great,Well while it's so great option why not used all the time ? what's the cost ...fuel consumption, strutural stress, engine excessive use, experinced pilots / controllers ? or maybe all ??Best regads
The biggest factor is dollar cost to the airlines when buying this option. Everything is about money these days!That said, the 900-ER version of the NG has this equipment as factory standard when they roll off the Boeing production line.JR

- Jane Whittaker

Thanks JaneIm going to buy some new extreme add on airports as a result of your post. Another great detail added by the PMDG team to an already extraordinary product.

Another great post Jane!I always enjoy your writing, and I'm so excited about all these cool features available on the ngx.

Hello JaneThanks for that.On a different track, did you receive a letter I sent you via PC Pilot? I hope you have made a recovery.Good to have you back.Regards

Hello JaneThanks for that.On a different track, did you receive a letter I sent you via PC Pilot? I hope you have made a recovery.Good to have you back.Regards
Rick,Yes I did, thank you. I have been hunting around for your email to make a reply. Could you please PM me with your email address?Your letter was incredibly appreciated, thank you!

- Jane Whittaker

Guest acezboy561

Again Jane, cheers! Really like the shot aswell, keep em coming - I for one am surely enjoying them.

Can't wait to try this at SABA :D
Yeah, I want to see a vid of that LOL!

Dylan Charles

"The aircraft G-limits are only there in case there is another flight by that particular airplane. If subsequent flights do not appear likely, there are no G-limits."