Sign in to follow this  
JaneRachel

NGX Short Field Performance Package

This is fantastic, can't wait to see what else she'll be capable of. Thanks for the great update.I fear we have underestimated PMDG's attention to detail with the NGX.

I think (After looking at some photos on Google) that it is the degrees that the wheel is tilted.
Thank you and thanks to Luke as well, that pretty much makes it clear. Didn't quite know they would tilt the gear intentionally at all, and I yet have to find out how this affects braking on the SFP, but now I at least know what we're talking about. :(Big%20Grin.gifsig.gif

hell, even though the Runway at Newcastle (England) is more than big enough for a 737, i am still gonna load up my KLM 800 or 900 (or 700 is its available upon release) (if the SFP can be fitted to the 900) and use it for fun!! see how high i can get before crossing the end of the Runway and Airport Perimiter!! safe to say with UK2000s new Newcastle scenery and PMDGs 737, i will only be flying out of NCL with a KLM or Thomson 737.

Thank you and thanks to Luke as well, that pretty much makes it clear. Didn't quite know they would tilt the gear intentionally at all, and I yet have to find out how this affects braking on the SFP, but now I at least know what we're talking about. :(Big%20Grin.gifsig.gif
Camber (greater camber = the tire leans inward) on tires is generally used to increase lateral (side-to-side) grip. One downside is that as camber increases, it also makes uneven braking more pronounced. I suspect they reduced camber to improve the aircraft's control during hard braking. Increased camber also results in more friction with the pavement. I've no idea if that's significant enough to matter.It doesn't have anything to do with this thread, but another thing you can consider is castor on the steering wheels. Moving the pivot point ahead of the tire causes it to track well in a straight line but reduces steering power. Move it back & you can turn more easily, but it also won't want to center itself.

This is fantastic, can't wait to see what else she'll be capable of. Thanks for the great update.I fear we have underestimated PMDG's attention to detail with the NGX.
so do i eye, i cant help but believe they may have some Aces they haven't told us about up there sleeves

Thanks Ken for your explanations! Much appreciated! Big%20Grin.gifsig.gif
ThanksBig%20Grin.gifHere's a little clarification (too late to edit my post)There's positive camber (tire leans out) and negative camber (tire leans in). When I said greater camber, that should be taken as meaning more negative camber. I'm not aware (though there may be some) of a situation where you'd want positive camber when the suspension is compressed & under normal load.

Great topic....:( In anycase when the NGX comes out I just my try to takeoff and land at Meigs Field.:(

Great topic....:( In anycase when the NGX comes out I just my try to takeoff and land at Meigs Field.:(
Go for the gold! ORBX Walter Sutton's Farm!!!OK, maybe just in my 152, but it was fun to say...

so do i eye, i cant help but believe they may have some Aces they haven't told us about up there sleeves
I think it would be fairer to say there is a whole pack of cards up their sleeves! Can you tell that I am loving this aircraft! In my opinion, the finest aircraft ever made by PMDG by a long way, and that is quite something when you consider the quality of what has gone before!JR

- Jane Whittaker

Guest Cag40Navy

Jane, im wondering, any info we can have on the -900 and -900ER? Non the less, Thank you Jane!

I think it would be fairer to say there is a whole pack of cards up their sleeves! Can you tell that I am loving this aircraft! In my opinion, the finest aircraft ever made by PMDG by a long way, and that is quite something when you consider the quality of what has gone before!JR
Jane thanks for the excellent post, not only am i enjoying getting a look at this great plane, im also learning a few thingsMike

hell, even though the Runway at Newcastle (England) is more than big enough for a 737, i am still gonna load up my KLM 800 or 900 (or 700 is its available upon release) (if the SFP can be fitted to the 900) and use it for fun!! see how high i can get before crossing the end of the Runway and Airport Perimiter!! safe to say with UK2000s new Newcastle scenery and PMDGs 737, i will only be flying out of NCL with a KLM or Thomson 737.
IIRC the -900ER has the SFP as standard equipment. Don't know about the -900 though.
Camber (greater camber = the tire leans inward) on tires is generally used to increase lateral (side-to-side) grip. One downside is that as camber increases, it also makes uneven braking more pronounced. I suspect they reduced camber to improve the aircraft's control during hard braking. Increased camber also results in more friction with the pavement. I've no idea if that's significant enough to matter.It doesn't have anything to do with this thread, but another thing you can consider is castor on the steering wheels. Moving the pivot point ahead of the tire causes it to track well in a straight line but reduces steering power. Move it back & you can turn more easily, but it also won't want to center itself.
See, in all the Need for Speed games, they spat out a bunch of mumbo-jumbo about less = more grip and more = more speed or whatever, and never gave you an explanation as to what was happening. I was always fiddling with the settings and it almost never worked out. Thanks for the explanation I can follow!Frank

Best post. The NGX with SFP also perfomanced by airports such as Santos Dumont in Rio de Janeiro - Brazil, in my country Venezuela airports example as: Los Roques, Churuguara, Anaco, San Cristobal (Paramillo), Yaguaraparo (Rio de Agua), Coche Island (nearest of Margarita), Adicora but all these airports have runways of 1200 meters (4800 ft).

Man, I'm glad I found this.  I landed the -800 with the SFP at a 5100 foot runway after an IFE last night, and I was seriously questioning whether I'd be able to get back out again as I haven't had a chance to look over the FOM yet.