Sign in to follow this  
Guest SlimDady

Attn: Radeon Owners

Guest SlimDady

i still get that bug with that game.. actually even worse now.. I can play for a while.. but all the models and maps are all garbled.. there are distortions on all the models.. like faces missing.. and also it still locks up after a little bit of playing.but every other damn thing i have works a charm.. just call of duty plays like #### with both 3.10 and 3.9

Guest khalpay

After you finish yr alternative tests, pls forward yr final results..Rgdshasan

I found better perfomance with the 3.10's, but the image quality was worse than the 3.9's. I went back to 3.9 because with these, the screen flashing was fixed, the image quality was better and the frame rates were acceptable. With the 3.10 it didn't seem to matter how high I set the AA and Anospheric sliders, the image quality was still not as good as with the 3.9's. I am not the type to want better frame rates at the expense of image quality. I want my cake and eat it to. 3.9 is the way to go in my opinion.

Guest Bigshot

Did you set up your AA & AF in the control panel again as with new drivers, it defaults to application preference?

Guest product

Thanks for that info, I think I'll stick with the 3.9's too then...Joel

Guest MHawk

Pretty much the same report as Bill W: the slight hesitation when hitting the ALT key is even slighter. IQ and performance are about the same as 3.9's, although the sim seems a bit smoother running with the 3.10's. Certainly good enough for me.

I uninstalled the old Catayst drivers using the Uninstall Utillity available in the ATI website, and installed the new drivers and Control Panel. I also installed the BlueSphere textures. In my system I got a 10% increase in frame rates, plus it is more fluid. The visual quality is much better and I no longer have the shimmer in buildings and trees. I am very happy with the oversall results. The new drivers are keepers for me. Now the screenshots look like actual photos.

Guest JonP01

1. Install 3.10 drivers.2. Set IQ settings to exactly the same as you had with the old 3.9 drivers.3. Go fly a plane in FS2004.4. Look out window.5. Grab air-sick bag as you see the visual effect of the abysmal new filtering algorythm.6. Land plane.7. Uninstall 3.10 drivers.8. Re-install 3.9 drivers.I guess when it comes to the 3.9 versus 3.10 drivers, you have a choice. If you want speed, use the 3.10. If you care about high image quality, use the 3.9.

Guest product

Hmmm, Someone else posted that the visual quality wasacyually better... Any screenshot possibilities to compare?

Guest JonP01

The problem is that the differences in visual quality between the 3.9 and 3.10 drivers are only obvious when the image is moving. It is only with a moving image that the shortcomings in the anisotropic flitering algorythm of the 3.10 drivers are noticeable. The best way I can describe it is that any texture that needs to be filtered in the 3.10 drivers is a bit "swimmier" (great word :-roll ), fuzzier and less inherently stable than with the 3.9 drivers. If, however, you pause the game to take a screenshot, the textures tend to look the same in both drivers. This is because anisotropic filtering is done "on the fly". As the angles of textures are constantly changing, the filtering algorythm needs to work out in real time what angle the textures are and then subsequently apply the filtering as per the algorythm parameters. So how well the filtering actually works in FS2004 needs to be tested with a constantly moving image.As an aside, Radeon users can actually see this real time filtering effect in action. Just take the Extra 300 and do 360 degree rolls so that the ground beneath you is visible during the entire rotation of the rolls. Watch the clarity of the ground textures change as the ATi drivers try to work out what to do with all those constantly changing texture angles. This is something that Nvidia actually does better ( so long as you pick the correct Nivida driver).If I had to hazard a guess as to what ATi have done with the 3.10 drivers, they seem to have leaned in the direction of bilinear rather than trilinear flitering for their "quality" anisotropic filtering settings. Or at the very least tried to speed up the trilinear filtering at the expense of image quality. I'm not saying trilinear is totally disabled in the 3.10 drivers, but the "quality" setting of the 3.10 drivers does often look more like the "performance" setting of the 3.9 drivers. This would explain the performance increases that nearly everyone is reporting in D3D applications. It is pretty rare that you get a performance improvement with no loss of image quality, and I believe the 3.10 drivers are a case in point. As for myself, my 9600XT is fast enough as it is, so I am only concerned with using drivers that provide the best image quality.

Guest khalpay

I have 9800 Pro 128I have no framerate problem only problem is near the airport or low flight over the city most of the building textures or window edges are shaking ..So what do you recommend to me continue with 3.09 or move up 3.10 ?Thanks for help & recommendation..RegardsHasan

Guest JonP01

Since my card is an ASUS 9600XT, the only drivers I have been able to test are the 3.8, 3.9 and 3.10 (earlier drivers don't recognise my card). I think it's safe to restrict the choice between the 3.9 and 3.10, because the menu flashing problems were only fixed with the 3.9 drivers or later.I'm not exactly sure what your shaking problem actually looks like, but it could relate to either the level of anti-aliasing you have set, the quality of filtering you have set and / or the level of mip-mapping you have set in FS2004.I can certainly give you my own hardware settings for my card in FS2004, but of course they are my own personal preferences only:ATi Control PanelDriver: 3.9Anti-aliasing: 4 x AAAnisotropic Filtering: 4 x QualityTexture Quality and Mip-Mapping quality both set to maximum.FS2004 hardwareResolution: 1024 x 768 x 32 for a 17" monitor. You would want to go higher for larger monitors.Terrain Texture Size: HighHardware Rendering Options: Render to Texture checked. Transform and Lighting checked. Anti-aliasing UNchecked.Filtering: Tri-linear (although on my card the ATi Control Panel settings seem to completely override this setting).Mip-mapping quality: 4Global Max Texture Size: MassiveThose setting stake care of the hardware itself. Whatever you set anything else to would be personal taste. I would also point out that even on my slower 9600XT card, it is possible to increase the anisotropic filtering all the way to 16 without much of a performance penalty. But by doing so there is an increase in aliasing artifacts, so doing this is a compromise. In any case, in real life, because the terrain in the distance does tend to be less distinct and indeed a bit blurred, 4 x anisotropic filtering seems to be quite a realistic setting. As far as mip-mapping is concerned, again I know people have set this to all sorts of values as well. However anything less than 4 results on very little detail and clarity, whereas anything greater than 4 results in quite severe aliasing artifacts. So whilst moving this slider does increase clarity, it biases the level of detail so far that you get those artifacts that look like shimmering, sparkles, etc. Microsoft sets it to 4 by default and imho this is the best setting.