Sign in to follow this  
ssanchez

Caravan shuts off mid flight

I am "trying" to fly my caravan today... I am trying to reach 9,000 with a heavy load and low fuel. After 8000 ft the plane keeps dying. All my anti ice equipment is on and the outside temp is 32 degrees celcius, I have no clouds outside... torque is at 1600 at 7000 ft prop 1700 ITT 650 %RPm is 90... It just keeps dying on me.. Please help.I just saw the condition lever jump to the shutoff position on its own... Thats weird...

the outside temp is 32 degrees celcius
Never seen this problem, but where in the world are you flying with +32C OAT at 8,000 ft?

Never seen this problem, but where in the world are you flying with +32C OAT at 8,000 ft?
I think you may be flying with your Fuel/Air mixture too rich. Lean it out a bit and listen to the tone of the engine. Locally, with current weather conditions, (5600 Ft Altitude on the ground at 90+Degrees Fahrenheit at full rich fuel/Air mixture) causes my other planes to die. Good Luck!//EDIT// Whoops! Just realized this plane flies a little differently.. Hope you find an answer though! -Damien

Guest BeaverDriver

Yeah, I think you must mean 32F, but that shouldn't matter.Re Damien's idea, which I think he realized didn't apply on this airplane (thus his edit), but to be clear turbines have an auto fuel control system so you don't lean them out the way you do a piston machine. Just leave the Condition Lever at High or Flight Idle (full forward). Now, is your power slowly decreasing, or does the engine suddenly up and quit? There's a difference in the cause of each of those. Secondly, if your Condition Lever is suddenly jumping on its own to Idle Cutoff or Low Idle, that sure will affect your power (at Idle Cutoff it'll kill the engine completely!). Usually what causes that is you have 2 controls that are tied to the Condition or Mixture controls. If you are using the CH Yoke AND Throttle Quadrant, for instance, and haven't disabled the Mixture Control on the yoke, and if it's left at Idle Cutoff while the THQ Mixture Control is full forward, the aircraft is getting signals from both. It'll read whichever control had the last input, which may be your THQ, but a spurious signal from the yoke Mixture Control may be generated while you are flying telling the Condition Lever that it should be full aft. Have a look and make sure you have only ONE control lever working your Mixture/Condition levers (it's called Mixture Control in FSX regardless of whether it's controlling a mixture lever or condition lever).

try what beaverdriver advice. I had that same thing happened when I had more then one hardware installed an linked to the condition lever. Stopped when I made sure only one was driving the condition lever.When you using 2 it is almost at soem time the other controler send through a pulse and wham,, engine stoppppp..