Sign in to follow this  
Dillon

Migrating FS9 from XP 32Bit to Windows 7 64Bit

Thanks Dillon for the information. Should I upgrade my OS to Win7 64bit with my current setup? My Mobo seems to max out at 2gigs. My specs are on my sig.

Asus Tuf Gaming Plus B550 - Asus Ryzen 9 5800X3D - Asus GeForce 4080 RTX OC Edition - 64GB DDR4 Ram 3600Mhz - EVGA 850W Power Supply - 2X 1 TB NVME PCIE gen 4 - Windows 10

hello My name is Peter B. I 'm from Amsterdam Netherlands been a simmer all my live.  So I had on my previous PC WIN-XP and FS9 on C:\program files\etc\etc\FS9 (default path) now I have a new PC with WIN7 64K  Here I installed FS9 on a seperate partition D:\FS9

In short everything and all add-ons ( FS Global  World Airports ,  I have not so many add-ons) work absolute no problems

My PSS B-757 works no problems exept for the well known  issue with the  Load Editor  ................................ on running it says

cannot locate FS9 installation path  100ds of forum pages are on this subject. But they all come with a solution to change the registry entry of

FS9  to a different location   quote hereunder :      please read further after the quote

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Posted 09 January 2009 - 05:11 PM
I went for it, edited the registry, and it worked. Thanks for all your help.In case anyone else has the issue, here's what I did:
1) To HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft I added a key called Microsoft Games.
2) To HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Microsoft Games I added a key called Flight Simulator.
3) To HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Microsoft Games\Flight Simulator I added a key called 9.0.
4) Then I right-clicked on the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Microsoft Games\Flight Simulator\9.0 and selected New    then String Value and name it EXE Path.
5) Finally, I right clicked on EXE Path and selected Modify and typed in C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Flight    Simulator 9\ and voila it worked.Thanks for all your help.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just flight and PSS have issued patches and updates to change the path to whereever one chooses through a browse button

I;ve done that many times now  but still the PSS B-757 load editor wont run  It will not search for the correct FS9 installation path nor

will it use the new entries in the registry.  The key point in my question is that my FS9 is not in the default path as given when installing but on D:\FS9   I've been searching all fora now for the last week but I cannot find a solution. Is there anyone who has experience in this and could indicate whether or not I have to edit the registry myself and what keys I  have to change then or is there another solution

many thanks in advance for any help from anyone  

Peter Bootes    I54430   GTX650   8DRAM   WIN7-64k

time flies  the issue is solved - everyone knew how to do it except me mabey

- uninstalled  PSS B757   control panel - programs

- executed  FLIGHT1   FS9  Registry repair tool

- reinstalled  PSS B757    plane , fuel planner  and  load editor  all 100%

Better late than never tried!

Have now succumbed to run FS9 on a virgin W7 machine, but from a separate hard drive, etc etc.

The question is this: Having downloaded the NTCore patch from http://www.ntcore.com/4gb_patch.php where is it installed to exactly to be able to enable it and what is it called?

In anticipation of a quick response.

Regards

Sauviat

Martin Parr

Retired professional yacht skipper for vessels up to 46m

System: Omen 30L GT13-0054na Gaming PC; Windows 10 Home  64-bit OS; Intel Core i9-10900K CPU @ 3.7GHz; RAM 32GB; Samsung S34J55x Monitor 3440x1440 @75 Hz Resolution; NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti. MSFS P/D; TM Pendular Rudder Pedals, TM Warthog Hortas Throttle/Joystick Combo.

'NTCore' patch? 

I assume your trying to make the FS9.EXE large address aware, correct?

FS2020 

Alienware Aurora R11 10th Gen Intel Core i7 10700F - Windows 11 Home 32GB Ram
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060 Ti 16GB DLSS 3 - HP Reverb G2

Very Important when running FS9 in a 64Bit OS environment: The 'FS9.exe' file needs to be made 'Large Address Aware'... Here's a tool that was made for this. You only have to convert the file once: http://www.ntcore.com/4gb_patch.php

Yes, I was referring to the above: after downloading and then installing... where does it install to so that it can be activated?

Sauviat

Martin Parr

System: Omen 30L GT13-0054na Gaming PC; Windows 10 Home  64-bit OS; Intel Core i9-10900K CPU @ 3.7GHz; RAM 32GB; Samsung S34J55x Monitor 3440x1440 @75 Hz Resolution; NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti. MSFS P/D; TM Pendular Rudder Pedals, TM Warthog Hortas Throttle/Joystick Combo.

Download the utility anywhere you want, run it against the FS9.exe file, and your done.  It's not that complicated of a process and only needed to be done once to the .exe file.  In order to get FS9 to function properly in the Windows 7 64bit environment this step is very important. 

FS2020 

What I am seeing is that it has been downloaded to "My Downloads", but when I install it from there, I cannot find it to work with! Where does it go to when installed?

Martin Parr

Try putting it in your FS9 directory and running it from there.

FS2020 

Will do and then revert again later when the transfer has finished on those computers.

Thank You

Sauviat

Martin Parr

OK, the situation thus far - the utility has worked as confirmed by a dialogue box by the author.

The FS9 start up flash screen came up and a dialogue box to accept private and public networks, etc, but then after a few seconds the flash screen disappears and nothing...!

Any ideas what is missing?

Sauviat

Martin Parr

Is this a vanilla install of FS9 so far?

FS2020 

1 - A fresh install of FS9 as per your notes on a drive off that from the OS-.

2 - create a new FS9 folder (copy all FS9 XP folder/files accross). Thus two FS9 folders, with the '1' above marked as new.

The FS9 CFG was copied across backing up the original from the vanilla install.

Martin Parr

When installing before you move items from your old FS9 install make sure FS9 loads up first.  From there incrementally add in your folders from FS9 then try run the program.  All of us have unique setups so you may have an add-on that's not playing well with W7 and you have to figure out what it is. This is what you need to do at this point:

1. Back up your now 'large address aware' FS9.exe (you only need to patch the .exe once)

2. Start over with your installation meaning delete FS9 in under 'Add Remove Programs'

3. All your backups from your XP should be somewhere so remove anything the uninstaller left behind

4. Re-install FS9 to the location you chose before

5. Run FS9 and let it set itself up.  Go into the sim where your on the runway ready to go then close FS9

6. Rename FS9.exe and copy in the large address version I told you to back up

7. Run FS9 to see if you can get to a start position on the runway

If you can let's move on, If you can't something is going wrong with the large address conversion.

8. scenery usually poses no problem so you should start with adding scenery.  FS9 will tell you if it can't find something.  Address these issues as they arise

9. Next is aircraft, place them back in one by one.  Like I said above Flight1's aircraft are the only one's you have to re-install 

The problem sounds like an issue with aircraft but by doing what I'm telling you here you can nail down what's causing the issue.

FS2020 

I did start up FS9 W7, like you had done before copying over.

I have just spent 10 hours copying over FS9 XP!

Over the weekend I will look at each aspect of the copy to ascertain where the problem may lie. Should I not find it, I will create FS9 number 3 as per your process.

Thank you

Sauviat

Martin Parr