Sign in to follow this  
Guest jrewing

Maintaining ATP Qualification After Major Surgery

Can airline captains resume flying after major surgery, or do they lose their certificates? I have a friend who is very much interested in becoming an airline pilot some day, and is in great shape so far, but has a history of heart disease in his family. Several relatives including his father have had bypass surgery or angioplasties performed with complete success, and they have fully recovered and are doing fine. He was wondering if after becoming a pilot and if he also had to face surgery, would he still be able to regain a first class medical? Thanks. :-)

Guest jrewing

If a pilot has major surgery or any other impairment, their medical certificate is invalid until they feel they are fit for flight and/or their medical examiner says they are no longer impaired. Any medical procedures that are performed are required to be disclosed at your next medical examination (every 6 months for a 1st class medical).To be eligible for a 1st class medical, 14 CFR part 67 says you must not exhibit any clinical signs of coronary disease. This appears to include any heart problems that require surgery, medication, etc.Check out:http://www.access.gpo.gov/nara/cfr/cfrhtml...14cfr67_00.htmlHope that helps ...John

Thanks John, I checked out the regulations you mentioned but I was wondering if a pilot is otherwise fit, and requires cardiovascular or bypass surgery and recovers fully, can he get back his 1st class medical? Thanks again. :-)

Guest jrewing

The regulations seem to say that ANY history or clinical diagnosis of coronary heart disease disqualifies you for a 1st class medical certificate. If you require coronary bypass surgery, I would think the FAA would consider your heart problem to be "clinically significant." But I'm not an medical examiner ...John