Sign in to follow this  
steve inwood

Track IR for 737NGX

Thanks guys I will try that, I had the TIR pause key mapped to a keyboard key so I will try using the middle mouse button.
What you could also do is map the selected key on your joystick/yoke if you are using a profiling software. It might also be useful to have the center function mapped and within reach.

Fabrizio Sassi

A question about VC's and TrackIR.Something I've always struggled with in using VC-mode is the readability of the display units and the panels, thats why I (still) use 2D-cockpits.However, obviously the NGX would be much nicer when using the virtual cockpit.Now, this issue with readability might just be because my pc setup isn't good enough to show a detailed VC, but besides that point I just really dislike using the HAT-button on my joystick to pan around the VC as it highly impractical. Seeing videos of TrackIR and virtual cockpits, I usually find that de display units are quite readable.Now, I know that TrackIR does not improve graphics performance of my computer, but I am wondering if actual users of TrackIR noticed this as well?Also, I always assumed that TrackIR was especially useful in multi monitor setups.I only have one single 20inch monitor, any experiences/recommendations as to using trackIR for that simple setup?

how?if we are talking for the same thing , i think there is no solution to that....i would love for me to be wrong on this one...
Hi Elias, try this: http://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/showthread.php?182332-Virtual-Cockpit-head-movement&p=1188141#post1188141Post #4 describes what you need to do, but basically it involves disabling what FSX calls MomentumEffect in the camera.cfg file kept in your documents (Not the FSX root copy). It does work as I've used it myself - found the effect mildly amusing for a while in the default aircraft but was driving me insane while using TrackIR in airliners :Tounge:Hope that helps

To earthdog and shamrock727,I meant you can disable the dynamic head movement in your fsx config file like so:[DynamicHeadMovement]LonAccelOnHeadLon=-0.000000LonAccelOnHeadPitch=-0.000000RollAccelOnHeadLat=0.000000YawAccelOnHeadLat=-0.000000RollAccelOnHeadRoll=0.000000MaxHeadAngle=0.000000MaxHeadOffset=0.000000HeadMoveTimeConstant=0.000000My camera config file has this entry in it [CameraDefinition.002]Title = Virtual CockpitGuid = {C95EAB58-9E4A-4E2A-A34C-D8D9D948F078}Description = This is the description of the virtual cockpit view.Origin = Virtual CockpitMomentumEffect = YesSnapPbhAdjust = SwivelSnapPbhReturn = FalsePanPbhAdjust = SwivelPanPbhReturn = FalseTrack = NoneShowAxis = YESAllowZoom = TRUEInitialZoom = 0.7SmoothZoomTime = 2.0ZoomPanScalar = 1.0ShowWeather = YesXyzAdjust = TRUEShowLensFlare=FALSECategory = CockpitPitchPanRate=30HeadingPanRate=75PanAcceleratorTime=0HotKeySelect=1So I can only guess that the momentum effect above is referencing the dynamic head movement values from the FSX config file?I'm probably wrong but it sound feasable to me.Either way it works on my system as I dont have a problem with TIR and the MCP (Just tested it in the MD11).Dan.Edit:OK I,ve just seen the post above, my camera cfg in my app data folder was also set to "yes" so maybe either way will work?

Edited by oneill875

A question about VC's and TrackIR.Something I've always struggled with in using VC-mode is the readability of the display units and the panels, thats why I (still) use 2D-cockpits.However, obviously the NGX would be much nicer when using the virtual cockpit.Now, this issue with readability might just be because my pc setup isn't good enough to show a detailed VC, but besides that point I just really dislike using the HAT-button on my joystick to pan around the VC as it highly impractical. Seeing videos of TrackIR and virtual cockpits, I usually find that de display units are quite readable.Now, I know that TrackIR does not improve graphics performance of my computer, but I am wondering if actual users of TrackIR noticed this as well?Also, I always assumed that TrackIR was especially useful in multi monitor setups.I only have one single 20inch monitor, any experiences/recommendations as to using trackIR for that simple setup?
In my (limited) experience of TrackIR the display readability is the same as you would get from holding space and panning/zooming with the mouse - so if the aircraft you are flying or graphics settings are not up to scratch then the issue will remain. However the advantage with TIR is that you can get a closer look at said DU's simply by moving your head closer to the screen, and can also change the angle of view to a limited extent - allowing a more 'square-on' look at the screens.With regard to the monitor question - I'm only running it on a single 22" screen and its still been worth it. Have another screen on order so until I can get 3 will probably continue to use a single one for visuals and the secondary to display the CDU and any other ancillaries.

Hey Guys,Thank you all for your posts! I have ordered Track IR 5 just 5 minutes ago and I hope it will be the money worth. It is quiet expensive 188€/272USD so I hope it's worth it. Big%20Grin.gif

I only have a 22 inch monitor and it works great, track IR is good for reading displays as you can literally lean forward to view them better, same for CDU etc....It will take some getting used to though as others have already said, my neck didn't know what I was doing to it for the first week!Don't forget it is fully customizable so you can use it however you like, for instance, I don't like using the lean forward axis (zoom) anymore so I just turned down the response for that axis .Dan.

For PMDG aircraft I no longer use Track IR but I use the above. Track IR is compatible with ezdockcam but I've not tried them together yet, to be honest I may not bother. The added affects that the cam gives you makes flying much more realitic because it simulates air affects on the aircraft based on weight of the aircraft. It also gives a touch down effect.
I have to agree with Mike here, my TIR4 is in a drawer since I got the cam software. TIR is very nice but you do find yourself pausing it regularly to facilitate hot spot clicking. Both work together if you have them but I find the effects of the cam software much more realistic and I am not tethered to my PC with the IR LED's anymore - particularly helpful as I have wireless headset now.

Hey guys I have a question...I got track IR 5 for x-mas and when it comes the A-10 or flying VFR in FS I love it. But when it comes to flying airliners, I cant stand it. The reason is that I'm having to interact with so much of the cockpit so often, that it get's annoying interacting with all the click spots.For example, let's say I need to change a heading or altitude. Well I cock my head so that I can see the dial, then I have to hold my head in that exact position for the 20 or so seconds to scroll through to my new selection. If my head moves at all, then it stops scrolling etc...The same goes for looking away from the screen. When I'm flying the only time I'm actually looking straight at the monitor for longer then 10-15 seconds at a time is during takeoff or landing. Otherwise I'm checking instruments/charts/interwebs or working on other monitors. As soon as I look away, the view moves to the left or right and I can't monitor my flight out of the corner of my eye.Anyway, I'm one of those guys that it took forever to realize that if you held down the space bar and moved the mouse the view would pan so I'm hoping a little advice from you guys will help me out.
I have a button on my joystick set so that I can can temporarily pause the movement if I need to look at something for an extended period. Also have another button programmed recenter my POV as well. Works well...

Steve Giblin

Anybody know if and upgrade from Track IR 4 to Track IR 5 is worth it?

Steve Giblin

Anyone who buys it, be sure to download the "Seth flight" profile. It's a good starting point for fine-tuning your own.
Yep that's the one I use... found it the first day I bought the thing too. To be honest, initially I was about to return mine - until I found you could adjust the curves and sensitivity lol... and then I found that profile. Problem Solved.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

I don't understand how would this device work properly when you for instance look down to the CDU... your head will look down, and the camera will move down to the CDU, but your monitor is fixed on your desk, and your actual eyes will be looking at your thigh probably.... How does this work?
LMAO.gif That's exactly what I thought to myself when I heard about TrackIR. It was when the TrackIR 4 just came out. You only have to move your head a little and the movement is amplified maybe 3-5 times (depending on your settings). In other words, you can see behind you while you're still looking at the monitor. It's kinda difficult to explain without some video demonstration, so take a look at these vids:
http://www.youtube.c...h?v=xznyTjOE1AYhttp://trackir.dslyecxi.com/ (this has a $20 off if you buy together with the track clip pro, or $5 off if you just buy trackir 5)I couldn't use the hat clip because I'me very short sighted (20/200, albino), so I opted for the track clip pro. I love it. I used the v4 until the v5 came out. Believe me, there is a whole lot of difference. The fluidity of movement, the Camera FPS increase and the wider FOV. You will never go back once you use it. i've been using it for close to 6-7 years now, and I don't ever want to do flight simming or racing without it.Add EZdok and it becomes a marriage made in Heaven. You can create views that have TIR disabled (for instance mcp, cdu) and you don't have to worry about head movement while entering data
Anybody know if and upgrade from Track IR 4 to Track IR 5 is worth it?
Absolutely worth it!!! And you can get it through here with a discount:http://trackir.dslyecxi.com/

PMDG-777-EK-SIG-MAY1713-2_zps6f2ed2be.pn

Chidiebere Anyahara

I didn't like it personally,I have the saitek yoke, and the hat switch is really good enough for me,I didn't like sitting in a fixed position for airliner flying, just my 2 pence

Alex Ridge

Join Fswakevortex here! YOUTUBE and FACEBOOK

After AOA's first video release I e-mailed Nick to find out how he moved around the cockpit so nicely, below is his reply:-Nick Collett, Jul-23 17:10 (MDT):Hi Mike,It's a program called EZCA: http://www.flight1.com/products.asp?product=ezdockcamIt's a fantastic addon, definitely worth the price!Glad you enjoyed the videos,NickFor PMDG aircraft I no longer use Track IR but I use the above. Track IR is compatible with ezdockcam but I've not tried them together yet, to be honest I may not bother. The added affects that the cam gives you makes flying much more realitic because it simulates air affects on the aircraft based on weight of the aircraft. It also gives a touch down effect. Hand flying the approach in the 747 using this cam is by far the most realistic & natural experience I've found in a sim & at £22 ($35) ish- it's a great price.If you decide to buy the cam make sure:-1-Get the latest version.2-Read & follow or watch the instructional material because you must delete several view options in MSFS X for it to work.You can edit cams on the fly which is a great feature. You also have to set up each aircraft that you use. It's easy.
I've tried them both, and I can tell you that it's awesome. I call the combination a 'Marriage made in Heaven' Some of your views in EZdok, you can choose whether or not they have TrackIR enabled or not, so I have it enabled on the main pilot/co-pilot views for instance, but on views like fms, mcp, and other views I'd use to enter data or so, I have TIR disabled as well as the effects. Try it and you won't regret.

PMDG-777-EK-SIG-MAY1713-2_zps6f2ed2be.pn

Chidiebere Anyahara