Sign in to follow this  
Tabs

PMDG 737NGX Livery Availability

Hi All:

If no one is doing, I will work on Southwest Florida One

Best regards,

Marcelo

im%20Not%20Worthy.gif :yahoo: Thank you Marcelo!!!

Marty and all,

I'll have "Brown" up in the morning sometime...before noon eastern. Real long day work wise and a function to attend this evening. Screenhots are done. Just need to do the readme, thumbnail and ptp file. Here's a teaser. I did figure out how to eliminate the side doors completely. This upload will include Chris Hicks's last -700 bump/spec textures included. It looks really nice with those in the package. Headed to bed...

PMDG_737-800_NGX_UPS800-3.jpg

Took a look at the paint kit, since one of my requests (the original Dragonair livery) is probably not likely to be made by anybody else, as it's fictional on this aircraft type, not current, and not a really major airline. It looks like it's probably within the realms of possibility for me to make something at least reasonably close, although getting an exact match for the logo and font is going to be tough, especially the chinese characters. (Can't find many images that show either the dragon logo or the chinese characters in very high resolution). Looks like for the fonts, Eras Demi ITC is reasonably close for the English, and MS UI Gothic is at least somewhat similar for the Chinese characters, but I digress. What I'm not terribly sure on is the best way to lay up a design before painting it, and how to mirror that design from one side of the aircraft to the other so that the bezier curves match. If anybody has a link to an in-depth tutorial, it would be very helpful. I have Photoshop CS5 on Windows, so a tutorial using the same setup would be ideal. Like somebody earlier in this thread, I'm also in need of realistic-looking unpainted engine cowlings. One last thing I'm not really certain of is how to achieve a metallic look. Is there some way to control reflectivity on certain areas of the livery? The Dragonair logo and text is painted in gold, so for it not to look flat and unrealistic, I'd need to make the gold areas more reflective. I presume it's possible, as I've seen silver aircraft that looked reflective, but I'm not sure how it's achieved, looking at the paint kit. Thanks in advance for any advice anybody can offer a newb. No guarantee I can make this, but it looks somewhat feasible to me. :-)

It seems amazing that it's almost a year since I said I'd work on this; I'm not quite sure where that year has gone. At the time, the task of finding a suitably high-res source image was challenging, and that of turning it into a vector graphic doubly so. I didn't want to do a slipshod job, so it never quite got done at all.

I've since managed to source at least *reasonably* high-res images of tail and fonts, and am having another go at this. I don't--and never will-have an artistic bone in my body, but I can trace, gosh darn it. ;-) I'm sure there are easier ways to do all this, but I've managed (I think) to figure out Photoshop's vector capabilities enough to start work on a vector Dragonair classic logo. There's lots still to do just to finish this, before I can even start work on a livery from it, but I figured I'd share the WIP anyway. If nothing else, it'll encourage me to keep my butt in gear--and maybe somebody else will appreciate the work too.

This isn't my source image (in fact my source is about five different images skewed to fit and overlaid in Photoshop, to try and extract as much detail as possible) but it gives a nice idea of what I'm aiming for a fictional, modern equivalent of:

http://www.planepict...w.php?id=701246

Go easy on me, I'm very conscious of my newb status... (And yes, I know it's blocky around the ears and... whiskers? antenna? I'm not quite sure what that part of a Chinese dragon is called. I'll come back to fix that later, hopefully...) :-D

Mike Tomkins
Knoxville, TN
Flight Sim user since the subLOGIC / Apple II days

What model of the 737 is that going to be for? I hope the 800 as I am broke and don't have the expansion....yet.....this may make me buy it though!

Go easy on me, I'm very conscious of my newb status... (And yes, I know it's blocky around the ears and... whiskers? antenna? I'm not quite sure what that part of a Chinese dragon is called. I'll come back to fix that later, hopefully...) :-D

Michael;

As someone experimenting and trying to paint (thus knowing how intricate it can be) , I think your effort looks good!

Keep working on it (and saving your files) so you can do it all over again for the 777!

"I am the Master of the Fist!" -Akuma

Michael;

As someone experimenting and trying to paint (thus knowing how intricate it can be) , I think your effort looks good!

Keep working on it (and saving your files) so you can do it all over again for the 777!

Thanks very much! (And fear not, I'm saving regularly. :-) ) Oooo, a Dragonair 777, nice thought!

Mike Tomkins
Knoxville, TN

All,

The UPS -800 is on it's way to the AVSIM library. It is a rather large file (33MB) as it includes all of Chris Hick's bump/spec files and the rest of the files needed to make it a self-contained livery. Usually the large files I make are just the cargo ones as they require seperate bump/spec files that cover the lack of windows/doors, etc.

Steve

PMDG_737-800_NGX_UPS800-1.jpg

PMDG_737-800_NGX_UPS800-2.jpg

PMDG_737-800_NGX_UPS800-4.jpg

Michael, nice going on the dragon. You might want to do it in Illustrator if you ever do it in the future, though, just sayin.

Thanks, Fabo. I have Illustrator, but don't have the first clue how to use it. Need to find the time to learn...

Mike Tomkins
Knoxville, TN